Bag Release
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bag Release

Bag Release

Hey

Has anyone found a way to keep the latch cables for the saddlebags free from dirt and dust. Mine seem to get clogged at least once a season, preventing entry to the saddle bags. It's an easy fix to remove seat, wipe the crude off and clean, but looking for a permanent solution as it seems to happen at the most inopportune moments.

I have never cleaned the cables and have never had a problem????
    " Truth is often deemed rude, blunt and to the point which is why so few make their friend " Freddy Hayler ..352-267-1553 Sanford, FLA Gutterman6000@Gmail.com

Guess I must just live in a dusty/mucky area

Humm, I have never had that problem, but then I don't use wet lubricants if I don't have to and prefer a dry graphite type for the mechanisms and cables like this stuff I get at Walmart.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/38691404?w...857929&veh=sem

The guy who invented the first wheel was an idiot -
    the guy who invented the second one... he was the genius!

http://theringfinders.com/blog/Larry.Royal/

Quote Originally Posted by BIGLRY View Post
    Humm, I have never had that problem, but then I don't use wet lubricants if I don't have to and prefer a dry graphite type for the mechanisms and cables like this stuff I get at Walmart.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/38691404?w...857929&veh=sem
    Thanks I'll try that

The cables on my my bike seem to stick, always have. Sometimes when I pull them it does nothing, there is no resistance. Like they are stuck. I then let them slam back towards the seat and it usually opens the next try. Guess I need some graphite.
    The most important things in life aren't things.
    Fall down seven times, get up eight.

Quote Originally Posted by Darren View Post
    Hey

Has anyone found a way to keep the latch cables for the saddlebags free from dirt and dust. Mine seem to get clogged at least once a season, preventing entry to the saddle bags. It's an easy fix to remove seat, wipe the crude off and clean, but looking for a permanent solution as it seems to happen at the most inopportune moments.
    Harbor Freight has Protective Wire Wrap (split convoluted tubing) Item 66987. This product can be placed over the cable allowing it to "float" like armor! It's really cheap ($3.00) per ten foot roll.

A pic for clarity!

Attachment 15528

Graphite lube is the solution for the cables.

Although I haven't been able to replicate it, how you put the seat and grab handles back on may be the culprit for fussy lock mechanisms on the saddlebags.

I recall the last time I removed the seat was to install the audio/comm passenger connector. When everything was reassembled the lock mechanisms were slack and inoperable. I took the seat off and put everything back once again and the mechanisms have worked properly ever since.

To those of you with lock mechanism issues: Have you ever had the seat off?

Edit: On delivery to me the seat bolts were not properly tightened. I discovered this about a month after purchase.

Quote Originally Posted by unsub View Post
    Graphite lube is the solution for the cables.

Although I haven't been able to replicate it, how you put the seat and grab handles back on may be the culprit for fussy lock mechanisms on the saddlebags.

I recall the last time I removed the seat was to install the audio/comm passenger connector. When everything was reassembled the lock mechanisms were slack and inoperable. I took the seat off and put everything back once again and the mechanisms have worked properly ever since.

To those of you with lock mechanism issues: Have you ever had the seat off?

Edit: On delivery to me the seat bolts were not properly tightened. I discovered this about a month after purchase.

For me as soon as I clean the visible gunk off of the cables the release works fine, I know what you mean about the seat though, the grab rails have to be seated just right.

I've never had my seat off, I will have to check the seat bolts. My cubby on the left side of the fairing doesn't open easily either, I wonder what is wrong with it?
    The most important things in life aren't things.
    Fall down seven times, get up eight.