Honda on the final Drive issue - Page 2
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Honda on the final Drive issue

Quote Originally Posted by Phantom View Post
    Everyone has valid points ....

IF anyone is on a road trip and your rear drive happens to break down (YOU will here squealing and or grinding and or seepage ((rare defective seal)) before it craps out)

Just get to a computer/smart phone and PM me or one of our moderators to reach me .... I'VE had a NEW Black rear drive on the shelf that I can overnite to you with tools anywhere in the lower 48 states.

Continue on your journey after the 1-2 day delay and then just ship back the tools when you return home. It's just a ratchet, loctite and a rubber mallet to convince the old unit to come off (if you have a center stand that's a plus). Any roadside mechanic or even an AutoZone employee can help replace it, it is one of the easiest repairs on this bike.

I have a motorcycle that has a reverse mechanism that holds 7 ounces of gear oil and is common for it to slowly seep some oil through the seals (nature of the beast, they all do it) but as long as it has 2 ounces, it is sufficient until I top it off at the next oil change.

With the high volume production lines and cutting back on employee hours, every company in the world is sacrificing quality. The cost of replacing or repairing to these companies is far less then the extra man/secondary inspector on the line hours. Not saying that it is right but it is the way of the future, hence Honda moving the Goldwing Plant from Marysville Ohio to Japan in 2009-2010. They believe that their Japanese employees are better at quality control and as far as I am concerned they are the same once trained properly.

Let's go riding .....
    Kudos!

thats what this forum is all about! owners helping owners, from the "what the hell is this?" questions to the engineering level mods! everyone I have met on this is willing to help a stranded guy or gal, to get what they need to be on their way! sure, we test each others' patience at times, and don't all have the same political or religious bent, but hell we all have or had the best bike in the world!

For what it's worth...I change the final drive oil every time I change the oil. The diff fluid comes in 16 oz. bottles, hence that's 4 changes. Cheap insurance. ALL my vehicles get oil changes every 5k....period. I've never had any kind of engine problem from anything ever. Plus, it gives you a few minutes to look at other items that might normally be missed in cleaning or preventative maintenance.

Phantom thanks, you sir are a class act.

Quote Originally Posted by Phantom View Post
    Everyone has valid points ....

IF anyone is on a road trip and your rear drive happens to break down (YOU will here squealing and or grinding and or seepage ((rare defective seal)) before it craps out)

Just get to a computer/smart phone and PM me or one of our moderators to reach me .... I'VE had a NEW Black rear drive on the shelf that I can overnite to you with tools anywhere in the lower 48 states.

Continue on your journey after the 1-2 day delay and then just ship back the tools when you return home. It's just a ratchet, loctite and a rubber mallet to convince the old unit to come off (if you have a center stand that's a plus). Any roadside mechanic or even an AutoZone employee can help replace it, it is one of the easiest repairs on this bike.

I have a motorcycle that has a reverse mechanism that holds 7 ounces of gear oil and is common for it to slowly seep some oil through the seals (nature of the beast, they all do it) but as long as it has 2 ounces, it is sufficient until I top it off at the next oil change.

With the high volume production lines and cutting back on employee hours, every company in the world is sacrificing quality. The cost of replacing or repairing to these companies is far less then the extra man/secondary inspector on the line hours. Not saying that it is right but it is the way of the future, hence Honda moving the Goldwing Plant from Marysville Ohio to Japan in 2009-2010. They believe that their Japanese employees are better at quality control and as far as I am concerned they are the same once trained properly.

Let's go riding .....
    I have two more Black rear drives on the shelf as well if anyone needs one in a pinch........just sayin..............Dickie
    " A Gun Is Like A Parachute.If You Need One, And Don't Have One, You'll Probably Never Need One Again!"

I have a Black take off rear end to at my house still in the shipping box-For 100 bucks shipped to my house I could not pass it up.Over a year ago I posted here to check your final drive oil level as a lot of Goldwings were low from the factory-I doubt that most dealers would pre inspect this on assembly as most have what I call 10 dollar a hour wrenchs working for them and my history with Honda standing behind there product just sucks.My feeling is get Freds discs and tools and do the work yourself instead of extending the warrenty out-and remember these are pretty much bullit proof engines many going 100's of thousands of miles.My rear end was low at around 600 miles when I checked it so I drained it and refilled with Amsoil severe gear synthetic and 12 thousand miles later she is fine.I would not sweat it and enjoy your ride.

Quote Originally Posted by shooter View Post
    That's easy for you to say Doug. Its not your $20,000 on the line. I think the Dog has a reason to be concerned. What if you're out in the middle of Bum...k Egypt and the diff takes a crap. Let's say you have your lovely bride with you. 100 degrees. Middle of nowhere. We don't all just putt around the house or bar-hop. Some of us take trips. Long ones. 400 miles on a Saturday is normal for me. And Steve its not just $100. What about the install. Some guys don't have the skill or facilities. What you guys make sound trivial can be a major ordeal under the right circumstances. I'm calling Honda also. Mine had 2oz in it. Thanks to Seadog I checked it. Doug if we all sit back and do nothing , then nothing will change. That's what's wrong with this country now. If someone does you wrong , don't just sit there. Kick , scream , holler and jump up and down. Get someone's attention. Don't settle for the status quo. Make a difference.
    All valid points believe me I have had my issues with both motorcycles & automobile manufacturers. It's just been my experience most of the time it's not been worth my time to get too upset. I sure don't want to criticize anyone and I am sure this will get resolved to his satisfaction. Many times in life we just need to step back & take a deep breath and things have a way of working out.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Doug K9CRT
    Decatur, IL
    2013 F6b (Red)
    Cage 2016 Chevrolet Silverado Z71
    Cage in Avatar Honda S2000

After this discussion, I just went out and checked mine. Had to add all of 3oz. Dang dealers, that should be part of the prep!

Quote Originally Posted by photodiver View Post
    After this discussion, I just went out and checked mine. Had to add all of 3oz. Dang dealers, that should be part of the prep!
    When I checked mine it was right on, but as you know I traded for mine from a H-D dealer and they are kind of used to checking oil levels frequently.

The guy who invented the first wheel was an idiot -
    the guy who invented the second one... he was the genius!

http://theringfinders.com/blog/Larry.Royal/

Now that's funny!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by shooter View Post
    That's easy for you to say Doug. Its not your $20,000 on the line. I think the Dog has a reason to be concerned. What if you're out in the middle of Bum...k Egypt and the diff takes a crap. Let's say you have your lovely bride with you. 100 degrees. Middle of nowhere. We don't all just putt around the house or bar-hop. Some of us take trips. Long ones. 400 miles on a Saturday is normal for me. And Steve its not just $100. What about the install. Some guys don't have the skill or facilities. What you guys make sound trivial can be a major ordeal under the right circumstances. I'm calling Honda also. Mine had 2oz in it. Thanks to Seadog I checked it. Doug if we all sit back and do nothing , then nothing will change. That's what's wrong with this country now. If someone does you wrong , don't just sit there. Kick , scream , holler and jump up and down. Get someone's attention. Don't settle for the status quo. Make a difference.
    Couldn't agree me. I havent checked mine yet but I will be. When I had massive electrical problems with my 13roadglide. I held harley accountable. Even to the point were I sued them under that magnuson moss warranty and I won. This kind of stuff is not acceptable from. So when I check mine and if it's low mother Honda will be getting a call and the dealer a visit