Honda on the final Drive issue - Page 3
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Honda on the final Drive issue

According to Honda

Quote Originally Posted by photodiver View Post
    After this discussion, I just went out and checked mine. Had to add all of 3oz. Dang dealers, that should be part of the prep!
    That is part of the dealer prep, they are supposed to check all fluid levels before the sale of their bikes. Its evident that they are not doing their job relaying on the factories fill job to suffice.

shooter
    Quote Originally Posted by Doug44 View Post
    All valid points believe me I have had my issues with both motorcycles & automobile manufacturers. It's just been my experience most of the time it's not been worth my time to get too upset. I sure don't want to criticize anyone and I am sure this will get resolved to his satisfaction. Many times in life we just need to step back & take a deep breath and things have a way of working out.
    Doug if you step back and take a breath on this one you'll be putting a new final drive in before 10,000 miles. It's not the gear set that's gonna fail. Its still hitting at 1oz. Its the bearings. If you change your oil yourself and the differential fails at say 10,000 miles , Honda won't replace it. Its on you. You are supposed to check it when you do a service. It calls for inspection at 8,000 miles. So if you think warranty will cover it , it doesn't.

shooter
    This is the most relevant thread we have had in a long time. I mean , thanks to Seadog a lot of us may have saved ourselves a catastrophic failure down the road. Hopefully everyone on this forum will check the final drive fluid. If you have the time take it to your dealer. Make them check it. If its low ask them why.

what is the correct way to check you FD oil? On the side stand or stood straight up? I am only asking for future reference because my bike was heavily damaged when I hit something on the freeway. Also this seems more common than I would think, two of my buddies have told me theirs were low also.

Here is the information in the manual page 150 that addresses this.

(Models equipped with a center stand)

1) Place the motorcycle on its center stand on a firm,level surface.
    (Models not equipped with a center stand)

1) Hold the motorcycle upright on firm level ground.
    2) Remove the oil fill cap.
    3) Check the oil level.It should be flush with the lower edge of the oil fill hole.
    4) If the level is low,check for oil leaks.Add the recommended oil through the oil fill hole until it reaches the lower edge of the opening.
    5) Install the oil fill cap.

Doug

Thanks Doug, good stuff from all.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    2015 F6B Deluxe
    Matte Silver

I know the dealer didn't check anything other than the engine oil on mine. I watched them uncrate it and put it together.

I checked the rear end because an earlier thread had comments about being low and sure as heck...............

I had checked mine on the center stand as the manual states.
    Low and behold the second the plug came out,oil everywhere.
    I cleaned it up with a big grin on my face.
    I would not have expected anything other than what I found.
    The dealer I use check everything.
    They have never let me down.
    I was tickled.

Doug

Checked mine and I had 3 ounces was not even close to the hole level. No probs drained and refilled. Thanks for the heads up.
    2015 blue with 9347 Klms when I checked. It was a little black too.

Rear Differential was 1 oz low from the dealership