Honda on the final Drive issue - Page 4
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Honda on the final Drive issue

Quote Originally Posted by TailGunner View Post
    what is the correct way to check you FD oil? On the side stand or stood straight up? I am only asking for future reference because my bike was heavily damaged when I hit something on the freeway. Also this seems more common than I would think, two of my buddies have told me theirs were low also.
    Hey Tim, just check it like the X... straight up and fill with the same amount just like the X too.

The guy who invented the first wheel was an idiot -
    the guy who invented the second one... he was the genius!

http://theringfinders.com/blog/Larry.Royal/

Quote Originally Posted by BIGLRY View Post
    Hey Tim, just check it like the X... straight up and fill with the same amount just like the X too.
    See Larry even you the almighty gets confused. The X was checked on its sidestand so that is why I wanted to confirm for the 6. Max has the bible and he says its not in there.

Quote Originally Posted by TailGunner View Post
    See Larry even you the almighty gets confused. The X was checked on its sidestand so that is why I wanted to confirm for the 6. Max has the bible and he says its not in there.
    My bad X on the side stand 6 straight up, but the capacity is the same in both final Drives.
    Page 3-20 and page 14-3 of the GL1800 bible both tell ya: 4.1 US oz after draining or 5.1 US oz after disassemble.
    Page 1-8 VTX1800 service manual: 4.1 US oz after draining or 5.1 US oz after disassemble

The guy who invented the first wheel was an idiot -
    the guy who invented the second one... he was the genius!

http://theringfinders.com/blog/Larry.Royal/

After hearing all the reports about the final drive level being low, I decided to check mine. Well, you can add me to the growing list . I haven't topped it back off yet but I had to probe far down in there to reach oil. It has to be at least 2 ounces low. Still, I'm not particularly concerned about damage since there was SOME oil in there and there has been no discernible noise or vibration from that unit. I'm going to top it off with Mobil 1 75W90 and check it again in a thousand miles or so.
    Ken (Hornblower)

Well I like some had not checked mine . Thank goodness it is fine, not running out the hole but ok. The plug wasn't over tight either I guess i'm one of the lucky ones.

The wife just bought a new Shadow, I asked the dealer to check the rear diff, he said we never check them.
    Thats done at the factory. I told him about the numerous complaints about low levels and he said he had never heard anything of the sort.
    I took the bike straight home, and checked it. Sure enough 2 ounces low....... In talking about the F6B ( he is a major Goldwing dealer) he also recommended a service between 600 and 1000 miles in which he also changes the diff oil. He said " it's cheap and easy to do so why not?"