Honda on the final Drive issue
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Honda on the final Drive issue

Honda on the final Drive issue

I just talked to Honda about my final drive being 3 ounces low and told them it was going to Babbitt's Honda for an inspection of the drive oil and gear set. He said the dealer is suppose to do an inspection of every thing and all fluid levels before the sale, he also told me he will have my complaint on file and if the gear set is ok and it fails later on down the road to keep the inspection report from the dealer and together with the original complaint I just had filed with Honda it would benefit me if the gear set goes out. So it does pay to be the squeaky wheel and let them know about problems you encounter.

And how would it benefit you to have the unit fail? Sounds a little illogical. I want something to fail in order to have a new unit installed? What if the unit goes 100,000 miles without issue? Wouldn't it be better to say, 'I am covered in the event'?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    2015 F6B Deluxe
    Matte Silver

Quote Originally Posted by stroguy View Post
    And how would it benefit you to have the unit fail? Sounds a little illogical. I want something to fail in order to have a new unit installed? What if the unit goes 100,000 miles without issue? Wouldn't it be better to say, 'I am covered in the event'?
    I believe Seadog is talking about saving the paperwork and inspection report so if the unit does fail down the road he will have proof/documentation that he did indeed bring this issue to the attention of Honda...Not talking about any benefit from the rear gears failing as a result....Ride safe

gear issues

He also wanted to know the outcome of the inspection of the fluids and I expressly told him they had told me they do not check the fluids in the final drive as they figured being factory filled they didn't have too. He was not impressed with that statement. I am hoping they have a bore scope to look at the gears and see if they have been hurt. He also told me that the check sheet I was given when I purchased the bike should say on it what was checked. I went thru the paper work which is undisturbed since I bought it and there is no check sheet in my folder. I will call him back on Monday and let him know that no such sheet exists in my possession. I am going to ask Honda if I should have a different dealer inspect this bike! Thinking maybe if they figure its their fault they might say everythings fine and button it up and call it good.

Quote Originally Posted by seadog View Post
    He also wanted to know the outcome of the inspection of the fluids and I expressly told him they had told me they do not check the fluids in the final drive as they figured being factory filled they didn't have too. He was not impressed with that statement. I am hoping they have a bore scope to look at the gears and see if they have been hurt. He also told me that the check sheet I was given when I purchased the bike should say on it what was checked. I went thru the paper work which is undisturbed since I bought it and there is no check sheet in my folder. I will call him back on Monday and let him know that no such sheet exists in my possession. I am going to ask Honda if I should have a different dealer inspect this bike! Thinking maybe if they figure its their fault they might say everythings fine and button it up and call it good.
    Not to hijack the intent of your issue with the final drive, but just wanted to add that I have purchased 12 new Honda motorcycles over the past years and NEVER , as far as I can recall, was ever given any kind of check sheet or dealer prep report...Did not know these sheets were even available.....I had a friend years ago that worked in a motorcycle dealership as a mechanic and he said the check sheets they were supposed to use were a joke as the prep guys looked at the bikes, checked the boxes on the sheet and signed off and know one knew any different...Was a multi-brand dealership if I remember.....

I kind of understand your complaint/concern. If you are that concerned, we have at least one board member that will give you a rear end for the cost of shipping...they are a dime a dozen on eBay for $100.... it will be OK........
    " Truth is often deemed rude, blunt and to the point which is why so few make their friend " Freddy Hayler ..352-267-1553 Sanford, FLA Gutterman6000@Gmail.com

Quote Originally Posted by Steve 0080 View Post
    I kind of understand your complaint/concern. If you are that concerned, we have at least one board member that will give you a rear end for the cost of shipping...they are a dime a dozen on eBay for $100.... it will be OK........
    Amen. I know how you are feeling but it's in your best interest to put this deal to rest.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Doug K9CRT
    Decatur, IL
    2013 F6b (Red)
    Cage 2016 Chevrolet Silverado Z71
    Cage in Avatar Honda S2000

shooter
    That's easy for you to say Doug. Its not your $20,000 on the line. I think the Dog has a reason to be concerned. What if you're out in the middle of Bum...k Egypt and the diff takes a crap. Let's say you have your lovely bride with you. 100 degrees. Middle of nowhere. We don't all just putt around the house or bar-hop. Some of us take trips. Long ones. 400 miles on a Saturday is normal for me. And Steve its not just $100. What about the install. Some guys don't have the skill or facilities. What you guys make sound trivial can be a major ordeal under the right circumstances. I'm calling Honda also. Mine had 2oz in it. Thanks to Seadog I checked it. Doug if we all sit back and do nothing , then nothing will change. That's what's wrong with this country now. If someone does you wrong , don't just sit there. Kick , scream , holler and jump up and down. Get someone's attention. Don't settle for the status quo. Make a difference.

Quote Originally Posted by shooter View Post
    That's easy for you to say Doug. Its not your $20,000 on the line. I think the Dog has a reason to be concerned. What if you're out in the middle of Bum...k Egypt and the diff takes a crap. Let's say you have your lovely bride with you. 100 degrees. Middle of nowhere. We don't all just putt around the house or bar-hop. Some of us take trips. Long ones. 400 miles on a Saturday is normal for me. And Steve its not just $100. What about the install. Some guys don't have the skill or facilities. What you guys make sound trivial can be a major ordeal under the right circumstances. I'm calling Honda also. Mine had 2oz in it. Thanks to Seadog I checked it. Doug if we all sit back and do nothing , then nothing will change. That's what's wrong with this country now. If someone does you wrong , don't just sit there. Kick , scream , holler and jump up and down. Get someone's attention. Don't settle for the status quo. Make a difference.

OK then... Have your local Honda shop order in a rear end complete, have them install or split the costs... for me it is to easy a fix, even if I had to pay 1/2 or more...at least I would not be worrying about it and to me that is priceless! I have done the oil change and removed the rear end on my Rune and Valkyrie...4 bolts and some time...it can be done...you do need a set of crows feet wrenches or at least on the Rune...$20 Sears...just sayin.....
    " Truth is often deemed rude, blunt and to the point which is why so few make their friend " Freddy Hayler ..352-267-1553 Sanford, FLA Gutterman6000@Gmail.com

Admin - Chief poop scooper Phantom's Avatar
    Everyone has valid points ....

IF anyone is on a road trip and your rear drive happens to break down (YOU will here squealing and or grinding and or seepage ((rare defective seal)) before it craps out)

Just get to a computer/smart phone and PM me or one of our moderators to reach me .... I'VE had a NEW Black rear drive on the shelf that I can overnite to you with tools anywhere in the lower 48 states.

Continue on your journey after the 1-2 day delay and then just ship back the tools when you return home. It's just a ratchet, loctite and a rubber mallet to convince the old unit to come off (if you have a center stand that's a plus). Any roadside mechanic or even an AutoZone employee can help replace it, it is one of the easiest repairs on this bike.

I have a motorcycle that has a reverse mechanism that holds 7 ounces of gear oil and is common for it to slowly seep some oil through the seals (nature of the beast, they all do it) but as long as it has 2 ounces, it is sufficient until I top it off at the next oil change.

With the high volume production lines and cutting back on employee hours, every company in the world is sacrificing quality. The cost of replacing or repairing to these companies is far less then the extra man/secondary inspector on the line hours. Not saying that it is right but it is the way of the future, hence Honda moving the Goldwing Plant from Marysville Ohio to Japan in 2009-2010. They believe that their Japanese employees are better at quality control and as far as I am concerned they are the same once trained properly.

Let's go riding .....

Successful people build each other up. They motivate, inspire and push each other. Unsuccessful people just hate, blame and complain.