final drive delema
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: final drive delema

final drive delema

Well the drive on my 6 got drained and they put a magnet in it and came out with no metal shavings of any kind and refilled the hypoid gear oil in the drive and now its a wait and see, I think the drive is fine but the bearings is what would get staved of oil with only one ounce of oil in the reservoir. I guess we will see how tough the bearing they use are but I am sure the longevity was definitely hurt. With all these people coming up with low oil in the final drive,these dealer seem to be relying on the factory to do there job and the factory is relying on the dealer to do its job and both are failing to address the problem. You guys keep after Honda its a told free number to customer service and the more calls they receive that just might get Honda after these dealer to start doing their job correctly. The squeaky wheel always gets the oil and you know we have to keep

I am pretty sure your final drive and bearings will be fine.Your not the first or the last to have the low oil problem there.When I first got my 6 I saw on the Goldwing site that this was a common problem with most dealers and posted here that it would be wise to check the level.As far as calling Honda like the famous paint problems they will most likely do nothing.And if one does need warrenty work a lot of dealers have techs I would not want touching my baby with a ten foot pole.Best thing a Wing owner can do is check the forums as most give good advice,get Fred's DVD set and some good tools.Nice thing is these are pretty low maintanence scoots and go many trouble free miles-Plus as said before with trike take off parts E bay is your friend.If you need a black rear end I got one on the shelf in the packing box as it was 100.00 to my door-With luck I will need it in a 120 thousand miles or so.

Mine was fine but still changed my final drive on my last goldwing at 500 ... Seems not just Honda but other manufactures seems to have issues with final drives .
    As others have said new final drives are cheap with all those trike conversions ... I bought a complete final drive / wheel / rotor / caliper and driveshaft for 300 bucks ...I was only looking for a wheel but got all the extra stuff .
    My new F6B was fine but will dump at 500 just figure piece of mind for break in .

I just changed mine this morning.
    I have 5,000 miles and thought it would be a good time to change it.
    Just because.

Doug

What's the story with the "moly additive" from the factory in the rear diff? Sounds like horseshit to me. Wouldn't the manual specifically say NOT to change the gear oil if the was the case? (My Super Tenere required a rear diff oil change at 600 miles for example--or was it 1000)

this was the case I mean...

Just checked the level on mine this evening, it was topped off. That's a relief.
    The most important things in life aren't things.
    Fall down seven times, get up eight.

When you pulled the plug out was there a gasket or oring on it. It felt like something fell off mine when I pulled it out but I couldn't find anything. Now it looks like it may be leaking a little. No drips but the dust around the plug looks damp. I hope I didn't just create a problem.

The plug has a o-ring on it.

Is there any other o-ring or gasket besides the one that is imbedded in the plug itself? That one I didn't miss but I thought something metallic may have fallen off the plug when I removed it.