Texting while riding
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Texting while riding

Texting while riding

I think I have seen it all now.

http://www.indystar.com/story/news/2...rash/30917917/

Brandon R. McClain, 43, Indianapolis, was texting while riding his motorcycle southbound in the left lane of Interstate 65 around 3:45 p.m. Thursday, Indiana State Police said. It cost him his life.

McClain’s bike drove into the grassy median about six miles south of the Ind. 28 exit, police said. He lost control of the motorcycle when he over-corrected as he tried to get back onto the interstate.

McClain, who was not wearing a helmet, was airlifted to St. Vincent’s Hospital in Indianapolis, where he later died, police said.

Sgt. Kim Riley of the Indiana State Police said on Friday he could not disclose how officers know McClain was texting.

"The investigation is still ongoing, and I can't go into how we knew he was texting or was in the process of texting," Riley said.

Southbound and northbound I-65 lanes between mile markers 150 and 155 were closed Thursday while a helicopter landed to airlift McClain to Indianapolis.

The southbound lanes were nearly at a standstill for about 90 minutes because of a traffic accident about six miles south of the Ind. 28 exit, Indiana State Police confirmed.

The southbound flow returned to normal around 5:20 p.m.

The accident remains under investigation, police said.

Meanwhile, police also confirmed there was a second accident in the northbound lanes at the 151 mile marker. This accident was not serious.
    JAYGO

It's just not that important. Sad.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    2015 F6B Deluxe
    Matte Silver

It's endemic over here, used to be a that a stop due a weaving car was because he was most likely drunk driving, now it's because they're texting..... or digging for the phone, updating facebook, or selfies..

I was not texting,but caught myself doing something just as dangerous.
    The other day I was on the back roads of Central Illinois out in the middle of nowhere riding.
    I had my MP3 playing through the system and a song came on that I did not want to hear.
    I flipped open the cubby,grabbed the MP3 and proceeded to start to scroll through the song list.
    All of a sudden reality snapped back in my brain and I thought,"Doug,what the Hell is wrong with you?"
    "Are you trying to kill yourself?"
    I just dropped the MP3 back in the cubby.
    I then pulled over,shut off the MP3,closed the cubby lid and sat there for a minute thinking how stupid I was putting my life in danger.
    My point is that whether it is texting,adjusting the MP3,scrolling the directions on a GPS or whatever, anything other than giving 100% attention to riding a motorcycle may some day cost us our lives.
    Lesson learned and luckily I didn't crash from not paying attention.

Doug

Quote Originally Posted by flat6bagger View Post
    I was not texting,but caught myself doing something just as dangerous.
    The other day I was on the back roads of Central Illinois out in the middle of nowhere riding.
    I had my MP3 playing through the system and a song came on that I did not want to hear.
    I flipped open the cubby,grabbed the MP3 and proceeded to start to scroll through the song list.
    All of a sudden reality snapped back in my brain and I thought,"Doug,what the Hell is wrong with you?"
    "Are you trying to kill yourself?"
    I just dropped the MP3 back in the cubby.
    I then pulled over,shut off the MP3,closed the cubby lid and sat there for a minute thinking how stupid I was putting my life in danger.
    My point is that whether it is texting,adjusting the MP3,scrolling the directions on a GPS or whatever, anything other than giving 100% attention to riding a motorcycle may some day cost us our lives.
    Lesson learned and luckily I didn't crash from not paying attention.

Doug
    I have no tolerance for people who are playing with their MP3 players. Sorry, but while someone may think it is fun doing it, you are putting innocent peoples lives at risk.

See what I did there?

I new that was coming when I replied.
    I deserve that.
    I am totally guilty.
    I can admit when I am wrong.
    It is hypocritical to pick and choose what action is more dangerous than others.
    I was wrong in doing so.
    Please accept my apology.

Doug

Quote Originally Posted by flat6bagger View Post
    I new that was coming when I replied.
    I deserve that.
    I am totally guilty.
    I can admit when I am wrong.
    It is hypocritical to pick and choose what action is more dangerous than others.
    I was wrong in doing so.
    Please accept my apology.

Doug
    No need to apologize, I'm just glad you got the joke. Neither thing we did was smart but thankfully we get a chance to learn from our mistakes. A group of riders I know have a motto:

RIDE TO RIDE ANOTHER DAY!

Basically the way you ride today might determine whether you ride tomorrow.

It all good!

"While I'm riding I'm glad to be alive, when I get done riding I'm glad to be alive."

"Neil Peart"
    Save a biker........Open your f-ing eyes!! (and get off your phone)

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I turn my phone off wile riding. People can wait. Unless listening to music from it. Then its in the cubbie while riding. I in fact love the solitude of not being bothered by the phone.... Stop for gas, potty, and phone check at least every 200 miles.............................Dickie
    " A Gun Is Like A Parachute.If You Need One, And Don't Have One, You'll Probably Never Need One Again!"

I am guilty here...although I use voice commands to send texts and activate the phone to make calls...still a distraction...Flame on !!!
    " Truth is often deemed rude, blunt and to the point which is why so few make their friend " Freddy Hayler ..352-267-1553 Sanford, FLA Gutterman6000@Gmail.com