Modulating headlight debate - Page 2
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Modulating headlight debate

"How can anyone say that having them makes it safer?
    You are speculating that the drivers are seeing the flashing,but you aren't in their vehicle so you don't know what they are seeing or not seeing or doing for that matter.
    To believe that the texting kid or soccer mom is going to pay any more attention to you because you have flashing lights on your bike than any other motorcycle is more of a "hope" thing.
    If they help so much because it is a flashing light that draws more attention,then answer this question.
    Why is it that so many police cars,firetrucks and ambulances get ran into almost daily?
    They have lights on and sirens blowing."

Everything you say here is your opinion (which you are certainly entitled to), but is contradicted by those who do use the produce and have first hand experience with its effectiveness. Since you have never used the product, you are really talking out of ignorance, regardless of your so-called research. I really don't put much weight to your argument.

Don't like 'em, don't use 'em! And thanks, I'll be happy to have you "wave me by".

Here are some statistics for the USA.
    You may be surprised by the amount of wrecks there are.

http://www.arnolditkin.com/Personal-...ts-in-the.aspx

Doug

Personally those who use them are just giving an opinion on what they believe to be true.
    Also I could care less if anyone agrees or doesn't agree with me.
    I also could care less if someone chooses to ride with me or not because of my opinion.
    I am far from ignorant.
    Use them if you like.
    I am just saying I won't.
    I am done with this subject as now it is becoming personal.
    I guess I should have seen that coming.

Doug

I would think that if emergency vehicles get hit more than others, it has something to do with them "going like hell through traffic"... To mitigate this requirement, they try to attract attention with things like "flashing lights". Somebody thinks it works! And intuition has me agree. I could only imagine how many would get hit if they didn't have them... But I agree with Doug's comment on people thinking you are an official vehicle of some sort. I do tend to hate those wankers who drive around in old highway patrol cars, as they do disrupt traffic.

Quote Originally Posted by flat6bagger View Post
    Personally those who use them are just giving an opinion on what they believe to be true.
    Also I could care less if anyone agrees or doesn't agree with me.
    I also could care less if someone chooses to ride with me or not because of my opinion.
    I am far from ignorant.
    Use them if you like.
    I am just saying I won't.
    I am done with this subject as now it is becoming personal.
    I guess I should have seen that coming.

Doug
    Doug,

If you rode a bike equipped with headlight modulators; you would see the difference. In the city or suburbs; you would be aware of it within the hour of first riding with them.

You would see and observe cagers observing you; in a new manner that you have not experienced before. Because you are a visual exception to what cagers are normally expecting. You are more noticeable. That is precisely what you and the rest of us want. For your motorcycle to be noticed.

Whether your motorcycle is liked or not because of it; is a completely mute issue. There are people out there whom just hate motorcyclists period. But I'd rather occasionally annoy someone with a Modulator and be noticed; than be carried to my grave by six others; because I was not seen. If I only had a Modulator....

And let us be clear on one thing. Headlight Modulators do not flash. They modulate the intensity of the light from 100% to 17% and back; within a prescribed amount of time.

21 years Army (retired)
    ...been everywhere, seen everything, done almost everything.

IBA 80537

Will
    You may be 100% correct if I had them I would agree.
    I was just talking to my wife on the subject a few minutes ago.
    I sure thought during my questioning people on this I asked her what she thought of them.
    She says I did not.
    She told me exactly what I did not expect.
    She said they are annoying,but she does notice them right away.
    I was also asked by her "how much do they cost?"
    "We need those."
    SOB now this whole damn thread is worthless because she wants them on there now.
    I don't stand a chance.

Doug

If Momma's not happy... no one is happy.

If you love her... you would buy them (for her...)

Give 'em a chance Doug. You can turn them off during the daytime if you want. You are in control of the modulation if needed.

21 years Army (retired)
    ...been everywhere, seen everything, done almost everything.

IBA 80537

I guess I have to eat crow and also have to ask.
    Who is the best vendor to buy them from?
    How hard are they to install?

Doug

Kissan

Kissan makes one that is designed for the dual headlights of the F6B. The connections can be a task to install, especially if you are putting them on the high beam so that you can turn them on and off if needed. But the high beams of the F6b can be really annoying (!!), so I put the modulator connections on the low beams (much easier to get to) with a cut-out switch just in case I didn't want them on all the time. I used a small SPST, you just put it inline with one of the sensor wires and it interupts the signal as if it were dark. Switch not really needed, the sensor will turn off the modulation at dusk.

Here is picture of my sensor position. Position is critical due to components under this panel, and best to use a step drill. I put the sensor in a rubber grommet rather than the plastic mount that comes with it.

Doug, you know I love ya...but I just fell out of my chair and spotted myself reading your posts......Way to funny.... Make sure you show us your "new" lights if you come to Franklin !!!!
    " Truth is often deemed rude, blunt and to the point which is why so few make their friend " Freddy Hayler ..352-267-1553 Sanford, FLA Gutterman6000@Gmail.com