Modulating headlight debate - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Modulating headlight debate

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Here are some statistics for the USA.
    You may be surprised by the amount of wrecks there are.

http://www.arnolditkin.com/Personal-...ts-in-the.aspx

Doug

Quote Originally Posted by flat6bagger View Post
    Sorry Rick,
    you are correct.
    I will remove that.
    Got caught up in my own argument.
    Figure of speech to emphisize a point about flashing lights.
    Just stating that they have lights flashing and sirons blowing and still get hit.

Doug
    ha- I know you'd do the same to me!! just bustin'...sort of. By the way, you would be interested to know that 47% of statistics are made up on the spot anyway...no 49%...maybe 52%

"How can anyone say that having them makes it safer?
    You are speculating that the drivers are seeing the flashing,but you aren't in their vehicle so you don't know what they are seeing or not seeing or doing for that matter.
    To believe that the texting kid or soccer mom is going to pay any more attention to you because you have flashing lights on your bike than any other motorcycle is more of a "hope" thing.
    If they help so much because it is a flashing light that draws more attention,then answer this question.
    Why is it that so many police cars,firetrucks and ambulances get ran into almost daily?
    They have lights on and sirens blowing."

Everything you say here is your opinion (which you are certainly entitled to), but is contradicted by those who do use the produce and have first hand experience with its effectiveness. Since you have never used the product, you are really talking out of ignorance, regardless of your so-called research. I really don't put much weight to your argument.

Don't like 'em, don't use 'em! And thanks, I'll be happy to have you "wave me by".

Quote Originally Posted by flat6bagger View Post
    I will never have them.
    I can't stand them.
    In my opinion,modulating headlights give a false sense of security to the rider that has them installed.

Doug
    I too will never have them. I ride as if I am invisible to others and take full responsibility if someone hits me. I too find them annoying.

Quote Originally Posted by druggr View Post
    I too will never have them. I ride as if I am invisible to others and take full responsibility if someone hits me. I too find them annoying.
    It's much more annoying when someone pulls out in front of you... because they didn't see you coming.

I can't (and I won't try) to please everyone in the world with their usage. Though I can most certainly please myself by using them.

21 years Army (retired)
    ...been everywhere, seen everything, done almost everything.

IBA 80537

Steve: ( 53driver ) is right on with his observations. In the early 70’s I put a product called The Firefly on my XS650 Yamaha and noticed the cagers noticing right away. The cagers would slam on their brakes instead of finishing their left hand turn in front of me. Now much older and probably no wiser I still install a headlight modulator. But as Steve pointed there is time and place for their use. Country roads where the locals don’t see many motorcycles is a great example because they come down their long gravel driveways and are not use to having to stop
    but when they see the flashing freight train coming they hit the brakes and watch with open mouths as the mighty F6B comes rolling by. They are worth it but be considerate of others when in traffic.

Quote Originally Posted by K/W Motoman View Post
    Steve: ( 53driver ) is right on with his observations. In the early 70’s I put a product called The Firefly on my XS650 Yamaha and noticed the cagers noticing right away. The cagers would slam on their brakes instead of finishing their left hand turn in front of me. Now much older and probably no wiser I still install a headlight modulator. But as Steve pointed there is time and place for their use. Country roads where the locals don’t see many motorcycles is a great example because they come down their long gravel driveways and are not use to having to stop
    but when they see the flashing freight train coming they hit the brakes and watch with open mouths as the mighty F6B comes rolling by. They are worth it but be considerate of others when in traffic.
    This is why I have removed them from my high beams and installed them on my low beams. The F6B's high beams are way too pronounced. The modulators actually are more "friendly" in traffic on it's low beams.

...and traffic is where you need them. If they're not on... you're not being noticed.

21 years Army (retired)
    ...been everywhere, seen everything, done almost everything.

IBA 80537

Circle-5
    I hate modulating headlights. But sometimes I wish I had them in Los Angeles traffic.

Quote Originally Posted by druggr View Post
    Amen, I have ridden that way for over 50 years, no problems...Think that I am invisible and do all I can to make myself seen, but not with wig wag lights...

I recall my first experience with the modulators on the road. At the time I drove a Trans Am and the need for speed was constant. One afternoon I am cruising above the speed limit and saw a motorcycle catching up to me with modulators on.Uh-oh,so I slow down and the guy passes me. I was pissed because he interrupted my fun. I saw this guy occasionally and my first thought was always the cops.Found out later about modulating high beams on a motorcycle but the one thing I knew personally is that it always got my attention.Later I had a buddy that had them.He always rode tailgunner but there was never a time I couldn't see him.
    My impression? yeah they work.I dont use them but they DO get noticed at a distance.
    Oh when I bought my F6B I wanted to pay for it,but needed a car. I had given my SUV to one of my daughters but I had to have this bike with only so much money. So I bought and paid for the bike and bought a police car from an auction.I became one of those 'wankers' that drove those cars and POed a few people when I pulled in behind them.Actually loved that car. It handled very well,had a dual ratio transmission and was fast as hell but I eventually sold it.