Modulating headlight debate - Page 3
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Modulating headlight debate

Quote Originally Posted by flat6bagger View Post
    Sorry Rick,
    you are correct.
    I will remove that.
    Got caught up in my own argument.
    Figure of speech to emphisize a point about flashing lights.
    Just stating that they have lights flashing and sirons blowing and still get hit.

Doug
    ha- I know you'd do the same to me!! just bustin'...sort of. By the way, you would be interested to know that 47% of statistics are made up on the spot anyway...no 49%...maybe 52%

willtill...If you rode a bike equipped with headlight modulators; you would see the difference. In the city or suburbs; you would be aware of it within the hour of first riding with them."

There are no stats to back this up but the results are stunning !!!! I put my on my son's bike to give him a fighting chance when he first got his MC license...

I had cars pull directly into my path the very next day!!!
    " Truth is often deemed rude, blunt and to the point which is why so few make their friend " Freddy Hayler ..352-267-1553 Sanford, FLA Gutterman6000@Gmail.com

While there are no studies supporting the headlamp modulator as an effective motorcycle safety device, some research suggests headlamp modulators may increase the conspicuity of motorcycles. If ya want to read more scientific type stuff then this pdf file "Development and Testing of Techniques for Increasing the Conspicuity of Motorcycles and Motorcycle Drivers" is one supportive research paper. This is a final report by Paul L Olson which has something to say about headlight modulating along with other things.
    http://deepblue.lib.umich.edu/bitstr...=2&isAllowed=y
    I personally don't run one as I believe no one can see me on a MC no matter what I do. And if they can see me then they are out to kill me so I ride that way....very defensively at all times.
    I do believe you definitely stand out more with a modulating headlight and the modulating of the light at the proper frequency does force one to look, just like the modulating light on the front of a train... you can't help but look, same for the cycle rate of emergency vehicle lights.

The guy who invented the first wheel was an idiot -
    the guy who invented the second one... he was the genius!

http://theringfinders.com/blog/Larry.Royal/

Doug... I replied to your PM about this... -Will

21 years Army (retired)
    ...been everywhere, seen everything, done almost everything.

IBA 80537

Quote Originally Posted by Travelor View Post
    Kissan makes one that is designed for the dual headlights of the F6B. The connections can be a task to install, especially if you are putting them on the high beam so that you can turn them on and off if needed. But the high beams of the F6b can be really annoying (!!), so I put the modulator connections on the low beams (much easier to get to) with a cut-out switch just in case I didn't want them on all the time. I used a small SPST, you just put it inline with one of the sensor wires and it interrupts the signal as if it were dark. Switch not really needed, the sensor will turn off the modulation at dusk.

Here is picture of my sensor position. Position is critical due to components under this panel, and best to use a step drill. I put the sensor in a rubber grommet rather than the plastic mount that comes with it.
    Your installation of the modulators to work with the low beams are interesting. But I do believe that is illegal. Federal law states that the high beam is the only beam that is to be modulated.

With saying that though... I personally don't see an issue with installing them on the low beams of the F6B. Hell of a lot easier to get to (at least on this bike). And the effect is still preserved; regarding what the modulator is designed to do.

You would definitely need a "cut out" though as you have designed, for current headlight modulator units don't take into account that they are being installed with the low beam only. The normal "built in" feature to disable a modulator.. is to switch the headlamp beam to low... to disable it. Or put something over the modulator's ambient light sensor; so the modulator thinks it's dusk... instead of daylight.

21 years Army (retired)

IBA 80537

I've had pretty good results with a Hi-Viz jacket and a Conspicuity vest.

cysmk.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by F6B1911 View Post
    I've had pretty good results with a Hi-Viz jacket and a Conspicuity vest.

Attachment 15609
    And that will work too! Use EVERYTHING available.

21 years Army (retired)

IBA 80537

Modulator on "Low Beam"

Willtill - there is a popular misconception that modulators are only allowed on the high beam. That is incorrect - here is the pertinent language extracted from from the Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards, 49 CFR Parts 571 [Docket No. 97-57; Notice1] Executive Order 12866

Motorcycle Headlamp Modulation System
    a.7.9.1 A headlamp on a motorcycle may be wired to either the upper or the lower beam from its maximum intensity to a lesser intensity provided that: (the rest of the section deals with the actual specifications that the modulator must meet).

Point is, it can go on either high or low beam, but must meet the frequency and intensity cycle requirements AND cease modulation when the light level is less than 270 lux (again, from the language provided in 49 CFR Parts 571.

My setup meets the requirements, it is sensor driven and the low beams remain fully functional should the sensor fail (just like if wired to the high beams). I added the cut-out switch for flexibility in case I want to turn off the modulation during the day, but since the normal function is to modulate during the day the switch is not really required.

Ride safe.

How about this on a high viz T Shirt..

MOTORISTS SHOT TO DATE FOR CUTTING ME OFF

Doug

The 7 is to be centered,but my computer for some reason keeps putting all to the left.

I won't put a modulator on my bike. The good lord has a date for me to leave this earth which I do not know when it is or how it is going happen. Could be a motorcycle accident, car accident, heart attack, cancer, or just plain old age and I'm good with it.