Modulating headlight debate - Page 4
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Modulating headlight debate

Quote Originally Posted by Travelor View Post
    Willtill - there is a popular misconception that modulators are only allowed on the high beam. That is incorrect - here is the pertinent language extracted from from the Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards, 49 CFR Parts 571 [Docket No. 97-57; Notice1] Executive Order 12866

Motorcycle Headlamp Modulation System
    a.7.9.1 A headlamp on a motorcycle may be wired to either the upper or the lower beam from its maximum intensity to a lesser intensity provided that: (the rest of the section deals with the actual specifications that the modulator must meet).

Point is, it can go on either high or low beam, but must meet the frequency and intensity cycle requirements AND cease modulation when the light level is less than 270 lux (again, from the language provided in 49 CFR Parts 571.

My setup meets the requirements, it is sensor driven and the low beams remain fully functional should the sensor fail (just like if wired to the high beams). I added the cut-out switch for flexibility in case I want to turn off the modulation during the day, but since the normal function is to modulate during the day the switch is not really required.

Ride safe.
    I stand corrected.

21 years Army (retired)
    ...been everywhere, seen everything, done almost everything.

IBA 80537

Quote Originally Posted by Greg O View Post
    I won't put a modulator on my bike. The good lord has a date for me to leave this earth which I do not know when it is or how it is going happen. Could be a motorcycle accident, car accident, heart attack, cancer, or just plain old age and I'm good with it.
    We have a fatalist here. Nothing wrong with that.

I like to think of myself as a realist.

Though I do believe that anyone's religious entity would like that same one; to take precautions in order to preserve themselves in adverserical scenarios.

21 years Army (retired)

IBA 80537

Faith?..............

This thread is going a bit astray, but I think I will respond (probably foolish, but what the heck).

Personally, I think I'll go with Matthew 4:5-7 - "Then the devil took him to the holy city and had him stand on the highest point of the temple. “If you are the Son of God,” he said, “throw yourself down. For it is written:
    “‘He will command his angels concerning you,
    and they will lift you up in their hands,
    so that you will not strike your foot against a stone.”

Jesus answered him, “It is also written: ‘Do not put the Lord your God to the test.’

So I will continue to wear a helmet, use my seatbelt, take my blood pressure medicine and give thanks to the Almight for eveny blessing and each day that I have.

Peace be unto you, and good riding!

" Truth is often deemed rude, blunt and to the point which is why so few make their friend " Freddy Hayler ..352-267-1553 Sanford, FLA Gutterman6000@Gmail.com

I for one absolutely hate riding with anyone with the Modulating Headlight. For one it gives me a Headache looking at it in the rear views. There are other thoughts I have that would surely provoke much debate. Fact is when in charge I do not allow them in the Group. I feel like they are a Hazard. Many States have outlawed them for good reason. A good bright set of MP3 960's will make you visible without being a nuisance. .....................Dickie
    " A Gun Is Like A Parachute.If You Need One, And Don't Have One, You'll Probably Never Need One Again!"

Quote Originally Posted by dickiedeals View Post
    I for one absolutely hate riding with anyone with the Modulating Headlight. For one it gives me a Headache looking at it in the rear views. There are other thoughts I have that would surely provoke much debate. Fact is when in charge I do not allow them in the Group. I feel like they are a Hazard. Many States have outlawed them for good reason. A good bright set of MP3 960's will make you visible without being a nuisance. .....................Dickie
    Thank God.
    I thought I was the only one in the world as I was getting attacked for giving my opinion for not having them installed.
    Going so far as being called "ignorant."
    I sat my wife down and explained my feelings about them.
    She then understood my views.
    I will not install them.
    I am going to keep wearing my neon shirts,tattoo sleeves (those get everyone's attention as they look crazy at me when I have them on) and use my riding experience of over 45 years.

Doug

Quote Originally Posted by dickiedeals View Post
    Dickie... you are bloviating.

States cannot "outlaw" them. Headlight Modulators are legal in all 50 states. The Federal law authorizing their use prohibits any state from defining them as illegal.

See below:

Title 49 USC 30103 (b1) (US Codes) prohibits any state from forbidding a system that conforms to FMVSS 108

http://ca1i.bizland.com/its_the_law.htm

21 years Army (retired)

IBA 80537

Sorry Will,but I just can't bring myself to installing them.
    I just don't believe in my heart that they help.
    Thanks for the info,by the way.

Doug

Quote Originally Posted by flat6bagger View Post
    Sorry Will,but I just can't bring myself to installing them.
    I just don't believe in my heart that they help.
    Thanks for the info,by the way.

Doug
    No problem Doug. To each their own.

21 years Army (retired)

IBA 80537

No problem Doug. To each their own. ...................Priceless !!!!!!!
    " Truth is often deemed rude, blunt and to the point which is why so few make their friend " Freddy Hayler ..352-267-1553 Sanford, FLA Gutterman6000@Gmail.com