Modulating headlight debate - Page 6
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Modulating headlight debate

Steve: ( 53driver ) is right on with his observations. In the early 70’s I put a product called The Firefly on my XS650 Yamaha and noticed the cagers noticing right away. The cagers would slam on their brakes instead of finishing their left hand turn in front of me. Now much older and probably no wiser I still install a headlight modulator. But as Steve pointed there is time and place for their use. Country roads where the locals don’t see many motorcycles is a great example because they come down their long gravel driveways and are not use to having to stop
    but when they see the flashing freight train coming they hit the brakes and watch with open mouths as the mighty F6B comes rolling by. They are worth it but be considerate of others when in traffic.

Quote Originally Posted by K/W Motoman View Post
    Steve: ( 53driver ) is right on with his observations. In the early 70’s I put a product called The Firefly on my XS650 Yamaha and noticed the cagers noticing right away. The cagers would slam on their brakes instead of finishing their left hand turn in front of me. Now much older and probably no wiser I still install a headlight modulator. But as Steve pointed there is time and place for their use. Country roads where the locals don’t see many motorcycles is a great example because they come down their long gravel driveways and are not use to having to stop
    but when they see the flashing freight train coming they hit the brakes and watch with open mouths as the mighty F6B comes rolling by. They are worth it but be considerate of others when in traffic.
    This is why I have removed them from my high beams and installed them on my low beams. The F6B's high beams are way too pronounced. The modulators actually are more "friendly" in traffic on it's low beams.

...and traffic is where you need them. If they're not on... you're not being noticed.

21 years Army (retired)
    ...been everywhere, seen everything, done almost everything.

IBA 80537

Circle-5
    I hate modulating headlights. But sometimes I wish I had them in Los Angeles traffic.

If people think you are a cop and pull over, then I would think they would help with lane splitting. Now to get cagers to use their rear view mirrors to see them.

Quote Originally Posted by Circle-5 View Post
    I hate modulating headlights. But sometimes I wish I had them in Los Angeles traffic.
    If you are coming to the Rally in Colorado next year, you can see how mine work on the low beams exclusively. Someone may have them on their high beams so you can compare.

And don't be a hater... These things will save your bacon.

21 years Army (retired)

IBA 80537

I have always wondered how effective these lights are for night driving. I can't imagine a 5 hour ride at night when the lights constantly vary in intensity.

One of the great things about this country is the right to choose. If you dont like them, dont run them. Period.

However, I ran them for several years on my 07 ST1300A, and could absolutely tell the difference on the number of cagers that pulled out in front of me before I had them, and after I installed them.

If they aggravate some cager, that is a good thing, because it means I have been seen and noticed, which is their purpose. Right?

People have a lousy sense of "rate of closure", which is one reason why so many cagers pull out in front of bikes. They take a glance our way, but dont look long enough for the brain to take multiple "pictures" in order to calculate the rate of closure (how fast the bike is approaching the cager). With the modulators, it jogs the cager into "what is that?" which means a longer look, which means more "pictures" taken, which means the cager's brain can better calculate the biker's rate of closure, which means we have been noticed and not pulled out in front of. Job accomplished.

This is MHO, and is worth exactly what you paid for it.
    2015 Honda F6B Deluxe
    2007 Honda ST1300A (176K miles)
    2003 Honda VTX1800C (80K miles)
    Waaaay to many MX bikes to list.

Quote Originally Posted by crossbowme View Post
    I have always wondered how effective these lights are for night driving. I can't imagine a 5 hour ride at night when the lights constantly vary in intensity.
    They don't pulse at night. In fact the pulsing light is the High Beam and there is a light sensor to shut off the pulse at night. If you flip to Low Beam it will be normal Head Light even during the day.
    I've spent most my money on Motorcycles and Women, the rest I just wasted.

Quote Originally Posted by gregj View Post
    One of the great things about this country is the right to choose. If you dont like them, dont run them. Period.

However, I ran them for several years on my 07 ST1300A, and could absolutely tell the difference on the number of cagers that pulled out in front of me before I had them, and after I installed them.

If they aggravate some cager, that is a good thing, because it means I have been seen and noticed, which is their purpose. Right?

People have a lousy sense of "rate of closure", which is one reason why so many cagers pull out in front of bikes. They take a glance our way, but dont look long enough for the brain to take multiple "pictures" in order to calculate the rate of closure (how fast the bike is approaching the cager). With the modulators, it jogs the cager into "what is that?" which means a longer look, which means more "pictures" taken, which means the cager's brain can better calculate the biker's rate of closure, which means we have been noticed and not pulled out in front of. Job accomplished.

This is MHO, and is worth exactly what you paid for it.

Perfect post. Concur. Totally.

21 years Army (retired)

IBA 80537

Quote Originally Posted by DMAGOLDRDR View Post
    They don't pulse at night. In fact the pulsing light is the High Beam and there is a light sensor to shut off the pulse at night. If you flip to Low Beam it will be normal Head Light even during the day.
    Thanks