Front End Rattle
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Front End Rattle

Front End Rattle

I have a 2013 F6B. I seem to have a rattle in the front of the bike. I had the dealership check the front steering stem bearings tightened front wheel, brakes, anti-dive, etc but the noise is still there! It's most pronounced when I hit a bump or when I slam on the brakes. It sounds like something plastic is loose in the front nose or steering under the dash..... I have looked around and could not find anything.
    Any ideas?

Mine rattles like that every big bump I hit, they say it is the front suspension.
    The most important things in life aren't things.
    Fall down seven times, get up eight.

Front springs are causing it.
    I installed the anti dive disconnect shim.
    It does not totally eliminate it,but in my case it helps about 80% of the time.
    Don't ask me how or why.

http://wingstuff.com/products/32921-...-shim-w-screws

Doug

Quote Originally Posted by Johnhowley View Post
    I have a 2013 F6B. I seem to have a rattle in the front of the bike. I had the dealership check the front steering stem bearings tightened front wheel, brakes, anti-dive, etc but the noise is still there! It's most pronounced when I hit a bump or when I slam on the brakes. It sounds like something plastic is loose in the front nose or steering under the dash..... I have looked around and could not find anything.
    Any ideas?
    The rattle is caused by the lower plastic fork tube cover (removed when installing a fork brace) contacting the plastic caliper cover. You can cure the rattle by inserting a thin piece of black rubber between the two hitting surfaces. Attached is a few pics for clarity! In the first pic you can see the chafe mark from the edges contacting!

Attachment 15702Attachment 15703

My rattle has nothing to do with the plastic.
    It is the springs in the forks without question.
    I can feel it in the handlebars when I hit a bump large enough to hear the rattle.

Doug

Quote Originally Posted by flat6bagger View Post
    My rattle has nothing to do with the plastic.
    It is the springs in the forks without question.
    I can feel it in the handlebars when I hit a bump large enough to hear the rattle.

Doug
    Doug, how did you determine it was the springs without question? I can sometimes feel it in the handlebars, although I'm hearing the sound at the same time and it's difficult to know exactly where the sound is coming from. Where able to correct the issue?

I came to that conclusion because I road and/or raced quads for years and have heard coil over shock springs rattle.
    The sound I hear is comparable to that sound.
    Almost exact.
    Plastic on plastic does not sound anything like metal on metal of which is what I heard on mine.
    Also I never did anything to any part of the front end except add the shim.
    As I mentioned that one change decreased the rattling by at least 80%.
    I also could be wrong.
    That has happened a few times before.
    I don't believe I am.

Doug

Possible Remedy by Deduction

Easy enough too try out! Simply remove the plastic tube cover and ride your bike for several days visiting those roads which caused the rattle. If the rattle is gone you have a easy fix

Quote Originally Posted by bob109 View Post
    Easy enough too try out! Simply remove the plastic tube cover and ride your bike for several days visiting those roads which caused the rattle. If the rattle is gone you have a easy fix
    That is a good point Bob.
    I am not saying you are wrong.
    I just know mine is metal to metal sound when it happens.
    I have heard other guys say they heard a rattle over bumps and it was loose fenders in the front.

Doug

Quote Originally Posted by flat6bagger View Post
    That is a good point Bob.
    I am not saying you are wrong.
    I just know mine is metal to metal sound when it happens.
    I have heard other guys say they heard a rattle over bumps and it was loose fenders in the front.

Doug
    Thank you everyone for the recommendations, I did put a cushion between the fender and tube cover, but it didn't seem to help. I will try removing both fender and tube cover all together to see if that helps. The sound seems to be coming from a higher location under where the key goes in or under the instrumentation panel. Sound is a funny thing, is hard to always determine where it's coming from.

Any other recommendations would be appreciated!!!

Thanks again!!