6 speed transmission - Page 2
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 6 speed transmission

Owned 1 bike with 6 speed a C-14 and I loved the bike but around down or getting on the expressway I found myself skipping gears. I don't see a need for and extra gear.

Quote Originally Posted by flat6bagger View Post
    Nope.
    Not needed.
    Why change something that has been working great for years and years.

Doug
    +1 Why change something that has worked fine for many years??....Old adage...."If it ain't broke why fix it?".....

I like it the way it is. This motor doesn't need a 6 speed. 1st is a borderline granny gear nice for puttering around a parking lot. Once out on the road 5th is good for speed limits 35 to infinity, well maybe not infinity but close.

I say keep it the way it is.
    If it isn't broke don't fix it.

I'm happy with 5; I just wish they'd improve the shift QUALITY. These things can clunk like an old /5 BMW! 6 may be nice, but 4 valve heads with hydraulic lifters and 150hp would be nicer

Drove a 6 speed Victory while they were servicing my Bike. Guess What?? You go no faster and spend a lot more time dancing on that shifter!! (ALot) Leave the F6 well enough alone!!

Quote Originally Posted by Michael_A View Post
    I'm happy with 5; I just wish they'd improve the shift QUALITY. These things can clunk like an old /5 BMW! 6 may be nice, but 4 valve heads with hydraulic lifters and 150hp would be nicer
    What oil are you using?

My experience: when I changed to Rotella T6 in the big blue bottle, shifting noise and effort went down.
    Same with my '98 Valk and my '81 Wing.
    My girls:
    Isleen - 2014 F6BD
    Saorla - 1995 FLSTN Heritage Special

"Politeness, n: The most acceptable hypocrisy."
    Ambrose Bierce

Quote Originally Posted by 53driver View Post
    What oil are you using?

My experience: when I changed to Rotella T6 in the big blue bottle, shifting noise and effort went down.
    Same with my '98 Valk and my '81 Wing.
    Ya know I have found that to be very true. Every time I have switched from Dino oil to a synthetic oil, it seems to quiet the trans and makes shifting smoother.

The guy who invented the first wheel was an idiot -
    the guy who invented the second one... he was the genius!

http://theringfinders.com/blog/Larry.Royal/

Quote Originally Posted by Greg O View Post
    Do you think the Goldwings should be updated to a 6 speed transmission.
    One issue with adding more overdrive and lowering RPM is lugging an engine too much... Extended low RPM is harder on an engine than you may think.. And chances are a couple hundred lower RPM will not gain you much in MPG.
    Now if you were running a V-Twin and straight pipes and wanted a bit lower RPM to ride quieter,,, than I get that.

IF I REMEMBER CORRECTLY Harley Owners were warned in an article in Baggers Mag written by S&S that extended low RPM was causing a few minor issues.. I will have to go back and see if I could find the article and re read it to see what the issues were.

Quote Originally Posted by DMAGOLDRDR View Post
    One issue with adding more overdrive and lowering RPM is lugging an engine too much... Extended low RPM is harder on an engine than you may think.. And chances are a couple hundred lower RPM will not gain you much in MPG.
    Now if you were running a V-Twin and straight pipes and wanted a bit lower RPM to ride quieter,,, than I get that.

IF I REMEMBER CORRECTLY Harley Owners were warned in an article in Baggers Mag written by S&S that extended low RPM was causing a few minor issues.. I will have to go back and see if I could find the article and re read it to see what the issues were.
    I would guess bigger power pulses transmitted into the drive train will have an adverse effect on gears and bearings. Also with an air cooled motor the lower rpm would lower the oil moving through the engine block, oil cooler causing more heat to stay in the motor. May be some one who is in thermodinamics would like to give there .02 on this. Cooling coefficients.