We've all been there - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: We've all been there

My Wife has finally agreed that I make better decisions than She does. I only had to point out that She decided to marry Me and I decided on Her.

Quote Originally Posted by choptop View Post
    Been living w/a good woman for 18 years. Problem is she has never listened to me as far as things that are important to me. As I get older, who am I kidding, I'm old, I have less use for them but being old and possibly lonely, sex dolls, at least now, don't carry on much of a conversation, doesn't seem like fun. A couple of years ago I started doing more of what I want, retired in Jan 2016, and because she is 12 years younger than me, she still has to work, now that I have a lot of free time, it has become a problem, not for me of course. Hopeful that she will start to listen, those things she never listened to are still important to me and we can come to an agreement of some type because I already have a list of things I want to do this year, Cortez being one of them and...
    This October I'll be retired 10 years and my wife is still working and it aggravates them to no end that we're not, whether they admit it or not, so I compromise - I walk her down to the car. Who cares about sex, no big deal it's the other 23 hours and 54 minutes that are important, well minus 6 hours for sleep. Tomorrow we're headed for St. Lucia (her vacation) so I can bank that for Cortez or N.C (my vacation), it's a dance. In the end the question you have to ask yourself every morning is "What are you going to do between today and death."
    Equitare solum equitare amplius

I can relate to...

...some of this.

I'm 10 years older than my wife, She'll stop working at 55 from her full time professional gig and collect a very nice state pension. I'll be 65 by then, and most assuredly should be at least collecting social security (if it's still around) three years prior to that event.

I'll be also quite possibly taking distributions from my 401K's as she will still have to wait 4 years to do that and even a bit longer to get social security herself.

I think we'll be comfortable... what really has been on my mind though is the thought of me no longer working in the next few years and her still going to work everyday. I don't know how I'm going to handle that personally; I would feel like I'm a bit of a slacker while she is still working and I am not.

Funny thing is she's always telling me to quit now... and I could. But I just want to pad that 401K a bit more... and I like this disposable income that I'm working for.

Really wish I knew the variable that we base all of our future financial plans upon; at least a ball park date. It's pretty statistically evident that wives outlive their husbands, especially when you have an age variance such as some of us do with them.

As J.G. Wentworth would say...

21 years Army (retired)
    ...been everywhere, seen everything, done almost everything.

IBA 80537

Yes, compromise is what it's all about. Last year, when I started spreading my wings a little, and started doing more things on my own, I told her that I would figure one weekend a month that we would do something together, seemed to work pretty well. We will see how that works this year. I am enjoying good health and one never knows when that could change . I told her I am not going to sit around and not do things just because she can't and later regret that I didn't do things when I could. Part of the reason I bought the van camper was for when I didn't feel comfortable on a bike, I would have another option for doing things.
    SOUTHERN small town Wisconsin