Any tips for a long road trip ?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Any tips for a long road trip ?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    In the past years couple bikers have been struck by lightning. If you are out in the plains and a storm with lightning starts to brew up and you and your bike are the tallest thing in miles what are you going to do? I was out in New Mexico once and this happened to me (I was on a Goldwing with that tall whip antenna), luckily there was a small town coming up but it sure had me concerned. What would the majority of you guys do?????

Quote Originally Posted by FlyinF View Post
    In the past years couple bikers have been struck by lightning. If you are out in the plains and a storm with lightning starts to brew up and you and your bike are the tallest thing in miles what are you going to do? I was out in New Mexico once and this happened to me (I was on a Goldwing with that tall whip antenna), luckily there was a small town coming up but it sure had me concerned. What would the majority of you guys do?????
    Take down the tall antenna !!! Don't use earbuds or wired comm sets in electrical storms.

I read a thread a couple of years ago about a former poster who got lit up.

Quote Originally Posted by FlyinF View Post

Ride like hell. Like right through an ambush. You gotta keep moving. Don't stop and let the enemy zero in on ya....!

J/K.... well... maybe you can outrun the storm. Depends. Lightning will lite your ass up though when not even near the precipitation.

If you were in the open in the scenario that you described... get away from your bike and lie flat. And pray to your entity that the lightning doesn't find you out there...

21 years Army (retired)
    ...been everywhere, seen everything, done almost everything.

IBA 80537

LDComfort underwear, www.ldcomfort.com

Rich

Quote Originally Posted by rich View Post
    LDComfort underwear, www.ldcomfort.com

Rich
    These are the best, wash them every evening with a cap full of Woolite, then roll them up in a towel and twist to dry. Finish by hanging over night. I travel with 2 pair and swap every day.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Dawg View Post
    These are the best, wash them every evening with a cap full of Woolite, then roll them up in a towel and twist to dry. Finish by hanging over night. I travel with 2 pair and swap every day.
    +1 way better than anti-monkey butt powder.

Just about got her packed and ready for a trial run.

Quote Originally Posted by ths61 View Post
    Just about got her packed and ready for a trial run.

Now THAT is a pack mule; if I ever saw one....!

21 years Army (retired)
    ...been everywhere, seen everything, done almost everything.

IBA 80537

Ouch!
    Here's something to consider on a long road trip....
    17mm wrench
    spare oli drain plug w/crush washer

I'm on my way down to Franklin, stopped to get a new set of tires and an oil change....
    Got up this morning and found a huge, HUGE, puddle under my F6B, come to find out the oil drain plug was not tightened.
    Luckily there was an auto parts store close by, snugged up the oil drain plug and I was on my way.

On another note for tips for a long road trip..... Back Roads
    Took the long way through Ohio, route 60 south all the way to West Virginia. Beautiful road, beautiful scenery, lots of twisties.
    Back roads are so much nicer than an Interstate if you have the time.

Apps I don't bike without

The best weather app for nearly nothing Rain Alarm (free) or Rain Alarm Pro. You set a radius in miles to search for weather, and it has three default alarms you can set. one for rain close by, one for heavy rain, even if further away etc. best app by far and I depend on it for all travel. They have both android and iPhone versions.

i use Waze instead of google maps, as it includes road hazards, such as potholes, construction, police speed-traps etc. Google actually bought them a while ago.