Any tips for a long road trip ? - Page 4
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Any tips for a long road trip ?

Quote Originally Posted by kellymch2001 View Post
    Don't get one with a long strap. It's a pain to keep the saddlebag door from closing on the strap.
    Quote Originally Posted by shooter View Post
    Don't get one of those cheap vinyl ones either. Get a good leather one. That way people think you're classy.

21 years Army (retired)
    ...been everywhere, seen everything, done almost everything.

IBA 80537

Quote Originally Posted by motozeke View Post
    Aristech Roadcrafter--the last riding suit you'll need, in all likelihood. Not having to get in and out of rain gear is priceless, not to mention being able to zip out of it in seconds so that you can walk around in your street clothes. +1+1+1+1+1
    Aren't these for cold weather riding?

Quote Originally Posted by coffee_weasle View Post
    Been looking at those for a while.

Quote Originally Posted by F6bisnext View Post
    Shield 9mm, two clips and ammo.
    Quote Originally Posted by kellymch2001 View Post
    Ruger LC9 140th anniversary edition
    Have that covered.

Quote Originally Posted by shooter View Post
    Don't get one of those cheap vinyl ones either. Get a good leather one. That way people think you're classy.
    My wife has a Brighton fetish at my expense. I wonder if she will notice if one is missing ?

Chapstick/eye drops/sunscreen/Vasoline for your nose. Yep, you read it correctly. I have learned that using a Q Tip and lining your nasal passage will help a lot. In my case, when I travel a long way from home there is a lot of different plants that put stuff in the air that kick in the allergies big time that I don't have at home. You would be amazed how much comfort a few small items can bring.
    "Life is hard. Harder when you are stupid"-- John Wayne[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I've taken two 18-day trips, but I have the luxury of a trailer that I pull.

All tips that have been mentioned are good, depending on how handy you are. I carry my full tool kit in a roll plus a Slime mini-compressor and a tire-plug kit. Never had to use the plug kit (yet).

I don't know where you're headed but I've used my heated gear in, of all places, Texas and Oklahoma, as I rode one entire day on I-40 in steady rain and high-60s temps. I was cold and the heated gear really came in handy.

As an alternative, make sure you have spare gloves and rain booties. Nothing more miserable than wet, cold, hands and feet... even in the middle of summertime. Also, bring your wind and winter liners. Weather can change quickly.

The bottle of ibuprofen or pain reliever of choice sounds like a joke, but pain while riding takes the joy out of it. The post above about little things adding comfort is a great tip.

If I'm riding through Monument Valley or somewhere extremely desolate, I make sure I have plenty of water in case there's a breakdown. In my trailer, I carry a case of water. Boy Scout mentality.

Some like to ride the wind and go whereever it takes them. Not me. For me, planning is half the fun. Besides, if you're not camping and want to stay in a national park (E.g.: Grand Canyon, Glacier NP, etc.), you need reservations and make them a year in advance.

Have a great time! Ride safe!
    -Tim
    2009 BMW R1200RT
    2013 Honda F6B HR Signature Series (born 7/17/13; sold 6/25/16)
    2011 AB Trailer
    2005 Honda GL1800 Portland Gray Metallic (Gone), 2005 Honda VTX 1300R (Gone), 2004 Honda Shadow Aero 750 (Gone)
    Darksider #858: Kumho Ecsta 195/55/16 with Dynabeads/Dunlop E3
    IBA #47379
    GWRRA

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by ths61 View Post
    Just ordered a PakIt Rak conversion kit for the F6B so I can reuse my PakIt Rak/Nelson Rig Bag/Rain Cover from my previous bike.

Attachment 15928
    Can't see your license plate?? Can you get pulled over for that?

So many great suggestions from the forum. Remember to "Pack your mindset", for the ride. Most likely you will encounter many close calls with dumb-ass cagers. Get ready for that. Also some not so fun traveling, due to crap weather, or a sore body. Keep focus on the reward of a safe, successful trip, and meeting a group that shares your passion. It will be "time well spent!"

Quote Originally Posted by timjoebob View Post
    I don't know where you're headed but I've used my heated gear in, of all places, Texas and Oklahoma, as I rode one entire day on I-40 in steady rain and high-60s temps. I was cold and the heated gear really came in handy.

As an alternative, make sure you have spare gloves and rain booties. Nothing more miserable than wet, cold, hands and feet... even in the middle of summertime. Also, bring your wind and winter liners. Weather can change quickly.

The bottle of ibuprofen or pain reliever of choice sounds like a joke, but pain while riding takes the joy out of it. The post above about little things adding comfort is a great tip.
    Always leave my Gerbing gear in the bike. Not looking forward to any rain and need to get something for my boots. Have gain gear, armored Colorado Chaps and layered armored mesh jacket.

Quote Originally Posted by F6B1911 View Post
    Can't see your license plate?? Can you get pulled over for that?
    On my Vision, the plate was very visible. Wings have lowered their plate when they went from a 2 tail light to 3 tail light design. I will either raise the plate or relocate it to the rack.

Quote Originally Posted by jm21ddd15 View Post
    So many great suggestions from the forum. Remember to "Pack your mindset", for the ride. Most likely you will encounter many close calls with dumb-ass cagers. Get ready for that. Also some not so fun traveling, due to crap weather, or a sore body. Keep focus on the reward of a safe, successful trip, and meeting a group that shares your passion. It will be "time well spent!"
    Yep, some great suggestions that have been added to my list. A buddy and I am planning on riding coast-2-coast and back.

GORTEX

[QUOTE=ths61;93113]Aren't these for cold weather riding?

Aerostich suits are for all weather, all temps. Made with a Gortex liner, it is one of the only true waterproof yet breathable materials. It has armor in the shoulders, elbows and knees. Back and hip armor are optional. The only outer gear you will need. No need to stop to put a rain suit on....ever! I have had several in climates as diverse as Minnesota to the Carolina's. Living now in Florida I purchased the Roadcrafter City Jacket and AD1 light pants. They are lighter weight than the standard Roadcrafter and comfortable for me to about 95°....as long as you are moving. Over 95° I wear an evaporative vest under the jacket. I can also layer up for the few 45° days we have. Gortex is no longer exclusive to Aerostich. Klim and Alpinstars also offer Gortex gear but it is spendy.Attachment 16064Attachment 16065

Quote Originally Posted by rich View Post
    LDComfort underwear, www.ldcomfort.com

Rich
    These are the best, wash them every evening with a cap full of Woolite, then roll them up in a towel and twist to dry. Finish by hanging over night. I travel with 2 pair and swap every day.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Dawg View Post
    These are the best, wash them every evening with a cap full of Woolite, then roll them up in a towel and twist to dry. Finish by hanging over night. I travel with 2 pair and swap every day.
    +1 way better than anti-monkey butt powder.