Any tips for a long road trip ? - Page 5
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Any tips for a long road trip ?

Just about got her packed and ready for a trial run.

Ouch!
    Here's something to consider on a long road trip....
    17mm wrench
    spare oli drain plug w/crush washer

I'm on my way down to Franklin, stopped to get a new set of tires and an oil change....
    Got up this morning and found a huge, HUGE, puddle under my F6B, come to find out the oil drain plug was not tightened.
    Luckily there was an auto parts store close by, snugged up the oil drain plug and I was on my way.

On another note for tips for a long road trip..... Back Roads
    Took the long way through Ohio, route 60 south all the way to West Virginia. Beautiful road, beautiful scenery, lots of twisties.
    Back roads are so much nicer than an Interstate if you have the time.

Apps I don't bike without

The best weather app for nearly nothing Rain Alarm (free) or Rain Alarm Pro. You set a radius in miles to search for weather, and it has three default alarms you can set. one for rain close by, one for heavy rain, even if further away etc. best app by far and I depend on it for all travel. They have both android and iPhone versions.

i use Waze instead of google maps, as it includes road hazards, such as potholes, construction, police speed-traps etc. Google actually bought them a while ago.

Man... some of you guys are high tech. I work in I.T. but when it comes to my motorcycle and motorcycling; I just make a strip map to my destination... and then ride to it.

21 years Army (retired)
    ...been everywhere, seen everything, done almost everything.

IBA 80537

Make sure your not riding a Harley!!! and all should be well.....at least not a one built before 2014.....Ride safe

Quote Originally Posted by ths61 View Post
    Just about got her packed and ready for a trial run.

Now THAT is a pack mule; if I ever saw one....!

21 years Army (retired)
    ...been everywhere, seen everything, done almost everything.

IBA 80537

Quote Originally Posted by willtill View Post
    Man... some of you guys are high tech. I work in I.T. but when it comes to my motorcycle and motorcycling; I just make a strip map to my destination... and then ride to it.
    there is nothing better than getting an alert "pothole ahead" or "stopped vehicle ahead" or "hazard ahead" or (yes they have it) "live animal ahead" when traveling at night or rain. Besides having ETA, searching for food /gas along the way is indispensable.

For long distance riding, especially in hot weather, a Camelbak hydration pack really helps. I have a 3 liter one. Filled up full with ice at a gas stop and then cold water will keep you hydrated and feeling cooler between stops.

One tip when using, when done taking a drink, blow back into the bite valve to flush the line. Otherwise, your next drink will be warm water heated up from the sun.
    Do your Best and Miss the Rest!

Quote Originally Posted by wiggy View Post
    For long distance riding, especially in hot weather, a Camelbak hydration pack really helps. I have a 3 liter one. Filled up full with ice at a gas stop and then cold water will keep you hydrated and feeling cooler between stops.

One tip when using, when done taking a drink, blow back into the bite valve to flush the line. Otherwise, your next drink will be warm water heated up from the sun.
    Just took mine old mountain bike CamelBak for a test run on the B a couple of nights ago. It had a straight bite and replaced it with a 90 degree bite so it would work with a full face helmet.

Where do you get your ice from (buy bagged ice or raid the ice machine) ?

Quote Originally Posted by ths61 View Post
    Just took mine old mountain bike CamelBak for a test run on the B a couple of nights ago. It had a straight bite and replaced it with a 90 degree bite so it would work with a full face helmet.

Where do you get your ice from (buy bagged ice or raid the ice machine) ?
    I ask at gas stops if I can fill up with ice and and water and most have no problem with it. Or if I'm staying at a hotel during a rally, I just fill up from the hotel's ice machine.
    Do your Best and Miss the Rest!