Any tips for a long road trip ? - Page 2
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Any tips for a long road trip ?

At Least a 64 GiG Usb full of Music , Gotta have the Tunes.
    2015 Matte Silver F6B (Current Bike)
    2011 Yamaha Stryker Copper Red (Wife's Current Bike)
    2011 Yamaha Stryker Impact Blue (Traded in for F6B)
    1997 Yamaha YZF 1000 (1997-2015 - sold recently)
    1995 Yamaha YZF 600 (1995-1997)
    1984 Yamaha FJ 600 (1984-1993)
    1981 Suzuki GS 450 E (1983-1984)

I come from the Sport Bike World. The things I used to blow by, I now cruise by and enjoy......

I beleave with AAA you need to add RV coverage to get MC towing.

If you can stuff a small tent or tarp in your sac. There are stretches of flat land, with absolutely no cover, that will expose you to all elements in case you have to wait for a tow or have to pull over due to extreme weather conditions. These storms pop up out of nowhere and are a bitch (pic #2). Also, Spot satellite tracker is a great device that allows a loved one to track you on a computer and has a (911) button for emergencies. Basic tracking starts at $99 a year, well worth it. http://www.amazon.com/SPOT-Inc-SPOT-.../dp/B000YTZV74. Last thing, very important, ALWAYS keep your phone on your person in case you get thrown from the vehicle. That phone is not going to do you any good while you've got a busted leg and can't get to it.

AMA offers roadside assistance for a lot less than AAA. That also will work for your cages. Other needs already mentioned....Slime compressor, tire plug kit, extra phone charger, Tunes, GPS and a half cover

Half the clothes. I pack light a buy travel packets of laundry soap and wash clothes in hotel room sinks. Dry by morning.
    Former owner of a 99 Valkyrie for 15 years.

Just ordered a PakIt Rak conversion kit for the F6B so I can reuse my PakIt Rak/Nelson Rig Bag/Rain Cover from my previous bike.

Attachment 15928

If you have a small flashlight, wrap some duck tape around it. It takes up less room that way.
    Best of luck!

In the past years couple bikers have been struck by lightning. If you are out in the plains and a storm with lightning starts to brew up and you and your bike are the tallest thing in miles what are you going to do? I was out in New Mexico once and this happened to me (I was on a Goldwing with that tall whip antenna), luckily there was a small town coming up but it sure had me concerned. What would the majority of you guys do?????

Quote Originally Posted by FlyinF View Post
    In the past years couple bikers have been struck by lightning. If you are out in the plains and a storm with lightning starts to brew up and you and your bike are the tallest thing in miles what are you going to do? I was out in New Mexico once and this happened to me (I was on a Goldwing with that tall whip antenna), luckily there was a small town coming up but it sure had me concerned. What would the majority of you guys do?????
    Take down the tall antenna !!! Don't use earbuds or wired comm sets in electrical storms.

I read a thread a couple of years ago about a former poster who got lit up.

Quote Originally Posted by FlyinF View Post

Ride like hell. Like right through an ambush. You gotta keep moving. Don't stop and let the enemy zero in on ya....!

J/K.... well... maybe you can outrun the storm. Depends. Lightning will lite your ass up though when not even near the precipitation.

If you were in the open in the scenario that you described... get away from your bike and lie flat. And pray to your entity that the lightning doesn't find you out there...

21 years Army (retired)
    ...been everywhere, seen everything, done almost everything.

IBA 80537