One Year on My F6B!

Thread: One Year on My F6B!

One Year on My F6B!

I've been reading this board for over a year, but so far only posted once. I've learned lots and lots here, and what I've read definitely helped convince me to buy a new F6B one year ago today. It passed 20,000 miles last week! I love it -- what an amazing bike. Here are some first birthday thoughts. Most of you already know all this stuff, but I'll repeat it in case there are some readers still on the fence like I was last year.

It runs circles around my two old Valkyries (with over 270,000 combined miles!) in every way, except I still slightly prefer the Valk's great classic styling. The 'B' gets loads of compliments, though, even more than my Valks. The 'B' is noticeably faster, especially at the lower end of the powerband, as you'd expect from a similar engine with 20% more displacement. The handling is vastly better and feels more like a sport-tourer than a tourer. The brakes have similar stopping power but the F6B's linked system makes stopping quickly much easier.

Comfort is similar. As with most vehicles you notice the differences when you first take off, but quickly adapt. The sound system is far better than that on my old Valkyrie Interstate. It's so nice to have an integrated system to play digital music! The only complaint is radio reception that suffers from the shorty antenna. I've thought about trying a longer antenna.

Maintenance is generally easier, except for the air filter. Thanks for the posts here to make that job go smoother! Oil and filter changes take only minutes, just like on the old Valkyrie. The front tire change is about the same amount of work, but the rear is a real breeze. That single sided swingarm not only makes the rear change simple, but it eliminates most of the driveline wear issues that afflict the old Valkyries. I bought a brand new GL1800 rear wheel and tire (in black!) at a dealer that does a lot of trike conversions. Now I can have mounted tire waiting in the garage for a quick swap whenever I need it. And, this makes it easier to try a car tire if I get the urge.

The fuel injection is awesome, too. Not only does it increase mileage by about 10 MPG over the old Valkyries, but it also eliminates carb syncs. And it's comforting not to have to worry about the dreaded, destructive Valkyrie hydrolock!

I was worried about the paint after reading so many complaints here. It certainly is easier to scratch, but with careful attention it has held up very well.

Overall, I couldn't be happier with this bike. I hope Honda keeps building them, along with the new Valkyrie. The 1800 platform is too good for just one vehicle.

+1...I had the same feelings about my Valk.....
    " Truth is often deemed rude, blunt and to the point which is why so few make their friend " Freddy Hayler ..352-267-1553 Sanford, FLA Gutterman6000@Gmail.com

I have to agree... especially on the subject of handling. Although I've never owned or ridden an older Valkyrie, my previous bike was 9 years on a VTX 1300. Whenever I get the VTX out (which isn't much since buying the F6B), it feels like I'm driving a tank. I honestly thought the tires on the VTX were flat the first time I switched back to it because the F6B is just so darned nimble. And the powerband... ooh the powerband. I USED too think my VTX had low end grunt. I love being able to cruise around town in 5th without the need to downshift when getting on the highway.

Looking forward to getting some longer trips on it with fellow riders... and only refueling every other stop.

Wow, you're putting on the miles. My bike is 28 months old & still think of it as my new bike. Thanks for sharing. Don't hesitate to add a Michelin Alpin to that extra wheel. You'll enjoy that extra stopping ability.