GPS Recommendations? Garmin Zumo 395LM
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: GPS Recommendations? Garmin Zumo 395LM

GPS Recommendations? Garmin Zumo 395LM

Has anyone out there used the Garmin Zumo 395LM as a GPS solution? Any related recommendations to offer?
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------

where my F6B and i have roamed (37,000+ miles)

I'm sure the 395 is a fine unit. However the 395 advantage over the 390 is the "5" means it has Garmin Adventurous Routing installed. I don't think you will be doing dirt roads on the F6B and the 390 is a little less expensive. I use a 590 and really like it but is a good bit more expensive. I did not need the 595.

The 395 is a great unit. I used to plan my trips on paper maps weeks prior to my trips. Now I just let my Garmin take me where it wants. Set the parameters to no tolls or highways or dirt roads and you should have a great trip. While riding I'll check my gps for curvy roads on the screen and just ride em . The gps will recalculate to your destination you chose.
    Also the TPMS is a nice feature as well. If you use a sena or other Bluetooth headset it links up effortlessly. The women's voice gets a bit annoying with all the cautions built in ex...Deer crossing, RR tracks, and speed limit warnings etc. I shut them off except for the speed limit warning.
    Although it's a bit expensive for a gps unit the features it has for us motorcyclist I think is worth it. Phone gps will leave you stranded in the mountains.

thx

thx for the tips - especially re: the 390 vs 395. very helpful. sounds like the 390 has all i need/want. the 595 is just too pricey.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------

where my F6B and i have roamed (37,000+ miles)

Just out of idle curiosity, is there any way to retrofit the GPS unit from a Goldwing into the F6B?

I guess you can do about anything with enough money if you want. The question is why would yo want to? First the opening on the F6B is much smaller, than the GPS opening on the GW and It would then occupy the information display that is currently in that spot so a complete dash change over I would guess is needed. Not to mention the wiring requirements. But the biggest thing is Garmin handlebar mount GPSs are better units than any I know of that come factory mounted, HD included. Also can be upgraded or replaced with ease.

Google Maps works great! Why get a GPS?
    2016 F6B Matte Grey
    2016 XDiavel (Sadly...gone)
    2014 M109r (FHD Classic) (Sadly...gone)
    2014 VRSCF (Gone)
    2006 VTX 1300C (Gone)

"I find as I get older that I have less and less to say about more and more. I thought I was mellowing as I got older, turns out I just don’t give a sh1t.”

Do you have an android phone?

Quote Originally Posted by tpa View Post
    Has anyone out there used the Garmin Zumo 395LM as a GPS solution? Any related recommendations to offer?
    I'm trying out an app called HERE WeGo that was a Nokia piece of mapping software as my GPS solution. It's free, does not need a data connection, reroutes if you detour or make a wrong turn. You download the maps by continent, country or state/province to minimize storage used. Haven't used it for a long trip yet but locally it is doing well. YMMV
    2014 Red F6B with ABS
    Baker: Hand Wings, BikeMP3: rack, Cardo Packtalk Bold Cyclepump: air compressor, Garmin Zumo 396
    Honda: battery maintainer, center stand, passenger backrest, shop manual (2012-16), tall screen
    MEC: first aid kit Nelson Rigg: Route 1 Traveler Tour Trunk Bag
    Rivco: Honda Adjustable Highway Mounts, Flatfoot pegs
    Uclear: HBC200 intercom system (spares)
    ZUMOLOCK to lock on Zumo 396

Quote Originally Posted by Switchmonkey View Post
    Google Maps works great! Why get a GPS?

For those of us not smart enough (or foolish depending on how you look at it) to have a smart phone.

I am very happy with my 660 Zumo.
    I've spent most my money on Motorcycles and Women, the rest I just wasted.

A good GPS is as far ahead of a smart phone that a smart phone is ahead of a paper map. All will work to keep you from getting lost and find routes. I use Micro Soft Streets and Maps together with Google Earth on my home computer to plan and route my trip turn by turn. Not what a program suggest as curvy roads but what I choose from looking at Google Earth and every road/turn. Then I rebuild/transfer to Base Camp and download it into my Zumo. E-mailing it or sharing in person via blue tooth to additional riders going on the trip is possible. Additionally if you are shown or find a road you like it is easily saved and can be incorporated into a future trip. The amount of information provided with ease can not be duplicated on the small screen of a phone.