I guess my F6 is "Normal"
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I guess my F6 is "Normal"

I guess my F6 is "Normal"

Well, I guess my blue 2015 F6B standard is “normal”. Now that I have over 2000 miles on it, I seem to have the same maladies that others have talked about. Yes, I have the cold start hesitation/stumble, all the little ticking noises, the lagging cruise control and when riding no-handed, I have to use a little “left body language” to keep her going straight. I do not, however, have the low speed wobble while decelerating thru 40mph that some folks have described. Maybe I just haven’t taken my hands off the bars yet to find out

The lagging cruise control was an easy fix thanks to this forum and the cold start stumble will be my next project. I will perform the ECM reset procedure first, and if that does nothing I’m going to try a set of Iridium plugs (NGK BKR6EIX-11) and one tank of premium brand name fuel just to see if that does or does not make a difference. I have my doubts but we’ll see. May just be a problem I have to live with. Advance Auto Parts carries the Iridium plugs for $6.99 each so it’s not a wallet-buster to try this.

Other than these few minor annoyances the bike has been perfect. I’m getting a consistent 44+ MPG, the cruise maintains speed the instant I let go of the throttle, I keep my tires aired-up properly and I’m having a blast on this thing. After installing the Honda OEM tall windshield the radio works great and no more bugs in my teeth! I even got annoyed at the muffler noise on this 2015, louder for sure than previous models. Seems that the tall shield reflects all these sounds right back at ya. If this thing got any better I’d think I died and went to heaven!

My last bike was a 2010 Honda VFR1200, 6 speed. That bike had “zero” problems for the entire time I owned it, and FAST . . . , wow, better hang on to something. This F6 is a real “gentleman’s” bike compared to that VFR, but as most of us are getting older, maybe that’s what we need at this age.

Anyway, like the title says, I guess I have a “normal” F6B and I’m just loving it!

Welcome to heaven, at around 10k, mileage went up for most of us.
    John (Jay) Bettua
    2014 F6b Red- sold 2016
    2020 Goldwing Matte Black
    Retired U.S. Air Force MSgt

Normal for an F6B maybe but this bike is not normal at all. It is the cream of the crop as far as I am concerned. I just came back from a 13 hour each way trip to Panama City Beach and I am more in love now than ever.

I just went over 12,000 miles since the last week of March.

The bike and my new cruise control on my 13 F6B performed flawlessly. I could have taken a nap on my babies back if it wasn't for the other idiots on the highway.

Still obsessed with my new toy!!!
    Steve

Quote Originally Posted by 2015F6B View Post
    Well, I guess my blue 2015 F6B standard is “normal”. Now that I have over 2000 miles on it, I seem to have the same maladies that others have talked about. Yes, I have the cold start hesitation/stumble, all the little ticking noises, the lagging cruise control and when riding no-handed, I have to use a little “left body language” to keep her going straight. I do not, however, have the low speed wobble while decelerating thru 40mph that some folks have described. Maybe I just haven’t taken my hands off the bars yet to find out

The lagging cruise control was an easy fix thanks to this forum and the cold start stumble will be my next project. I will perform the ECM reset procedure first, and if that does nothing I’m going to try a set of Iridium plugs (NGK BKR6EIX-11) and one tank of premium brand name fuel just to see if that does or does not make a difference. I have my doubts but we’ll see. May just be a problem I have to live with. Advance Auto Parts carries the Iridium plugs for $6.99 each so it’s not a wallet-buster to try this.

Other than these few minor annoyances the bike has been perfect. I’m getting a consistent 44+ MPG, the cruise maintains speed the instant I let go of the throttle, I keep my tires aired-up properly and I’m having a blast on this thing. After installing the Honda OEM tall windshield the radio works great and no more bugs in my teeth! I even got annoyed at the muffler noise on this 2015, louder for sure than previous models. Seems that the tall shield reflects all these sounds right back at ya. If this thing got any better I’d think I died and went to heaven!

My last bike was a 2010 Honda VFR1200, 6 speed. That bike had “zero” problems for the entire time I owned it, and FAST . . . , wow, better hang on to something. This F6 is a real “gentleman’s” bike compared to that VFR, but as most of us are getting older, maybe that’s what we need at this age.

Anyway, like the title says, I guess I have a “normal” F6B and I’m just loving it!
    Many folks, including myself, have learned to just let the motor warm up a bit before taking off...If I start up, back down the driveway, and ride away, I get some "stumble"..If I let the bike warm up for about 3/4 minutes and take off...No issues at all...Some of the people on the board say new/different plugs is not the solution and agree to just let the thing warm up first.....JMHO

shooter
    Quote Originally Posted by 2015F6B View Post

I don't have cruise and all the other maladies you listed I don't have either. 2013 Standard bought new in May 2014. Let's don't say we all have it if we don't. I think a lot of us have relatively problem free bikes. Oh , by the way , I doubt that new plugs in a relatively new bike will stop a cold stumble. I only run 92/93 octane in mine and have never experienced this problem. I'm not saying its the fuel. Try letting it run for 30 seconds to a minute before you take off. See what that does for you.

Just wait until all of the parts start falling off, ....., er, ....., uh, ......., sorry, thought this was the HD forum, never mind.

Congrats and enjoy! My only complaint, I don't get enough saddle time.
    I'd rather be on my bike thinking about God than in church thinking about my bike.

Remember not how a man died, but rather how he lived.

RIP:
    MVSB
    SpeedGeek
    Saxon
    Eric Gustafson

Cruise control

Quote Originally Posted by stevenolts View Post
    Normal for an F6B maybe but this bike is not normal at all. It is the cream of the crop as far as I am concerned. I just came back from a 13 hour each way trip to Panama City Beach and I am more in love now than ever.

I just went over 12,000 miles since the last week of March.

The bike and my new cruise control on my 13 F6B performed flawlessly. I could have taken a nap on my babies back if it wasn't for the other idiots on the highway.

Still obsessed with my new toy!!!
    Steve
    I too am having a blast with the F6B. I was on a long road trip last month with my old "94" GL1500. Went into a dealership in Ogden, Utah. Just looking. It was a Saturday. I was just staring at this red & black bike. I had seen them in the magazines, but never in person. The owner of the dealership was in on a Saturday and he approached me after about 25 minutes of me drooling on this bike. He asked me if I wanted to take it for a ride. Of course I said yes. I couldn't believe what I was feeling when riding it! When I came back we talked numbers. I road in with a "94" with 150,000 miles on it and I road out with a 2013 F6B with 2.5 miles on it from my road test. So the first thing to go was the stock windshield. I ordered a 14" Flare from Klock Werks in South Dakota. They shipped it to one of my next destinations, Palm Springs CA. It was there waiting for me when I checked in. Easy install. They are sweet. I am now in the process of gathering stock GL1800 cruise control parts from eBay. Everything is available, from the new right handle bar control switches to the servo/actuator to the module and stock wiring harnesses. I am only into the parts for $350 including a factory GL1800 service manual complete with the electrical trouble shooting section. There is detailed information regarding the pin identifications of the (2) 26 pin connectors on the module as well as the servo/actuator. I'm looking forward to doing a clean install this winter with no after-market looking controls and no butchered wiring. The on-off switch for the reverse will be used for the 4-way flashers. Both switches use 4 wires. I will hand paint the control housing to omit the "reverse" wording. Should be a fun job. I will try to post some pictures. I'm new to the site, so I'm not sure if I will have the access to do so. Thanks for listening!

shooter
    Quote Originally Posted by ths61 View Post
    Just wait until all of the parts start falling off, ....., er, ....., uh, ......., sorry, thought this was the HD forum, never mind.
    I don't care who you are , that's funny right there.

Cold Start

When going for a ride I carry my gear out to the garage and the first thing I do is start the motor, by the time I have it all sorted and my gear on and ready to go the needle on the temp is climbing out of the cold zone and the computer brings the rpm's down and the bike rides like normal. A small problem overcome by a little foresight.