shift linkage - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: shift linkage

Mine should be here Monday. I also ordered it to adjust the shifter.
    "Life is hard. Harder when you are stupid"-- John Wayne[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by DavidNC View Post
    I installed it to raise the lever and give myself more toe room. This itself improved the shifting.
    Any chance on a few pictures of the new shifter?

did they re-design this yet??

my buddy is on his fourth one,, the bal-end joints keep seezing,,
    he put-back-on a new Honda Org. set-up.
    Just curious,,
    KennyU,,
    FYI,,I had one on my 02, for the last two years I had-it,loved-it.

Not going to put one on the F6B.

Quote Originally Posted by kenny urban View Post
    my buddy is on his fourth one,, the bal-end joints keep seezing,,
    he put-back-on a new Honda Org. set-up.
    Just curious,,
    KennyU,,
    FYI,,I had one on my 02, for the last two years I had-it,loved-it.

Not going to put one on the F6B.
    Was this on an F6B or a Wing????

Quote Originally Posted by Old Ryder View Post
    Was this on an F6B or a Wing????
    Don't know what he is talking about but mine is on my F6B

Yea, got mine Monday and trying to find time to install it. Would also be nice if the garage heated up. Winter suddenly decided to show up yesterday.

Quote Originally Posted by TailGunner View Post
    Don't know what he is talking about but mine is on my F6B
    I was wondering if this was on a B/Wing or a sportbike. Heat/dirt/grime may have a part in failure and may be related to the position to the exhaust or the style of the rider. B/Wing riders seem to be a different style rider than those whose ride CBRs and GSXRs. Just sayin...........

Heat will be a huge factor in the early death of those joints, if they are just Teflon lined it will melt under the heat.
    2019 Honda Goldwing Tour DCT / CSC trike

I installed mine today

What an experience!!!! I would rather install another set of Helibars. This took longer. Taking off the tupperware is always a pain for me. Grinding off the tops os the rivets wasn't a big deal. Drilling out the middle also was not, but beating them out took some time as I was careful not to break off any arms that was going to cost a fortune to replace. The biggest problem was the constant adjusting. You had to take it on and off probably about 7 or 8 times to get it whate I wanted. It is very tight working spaces. All together was about 4-5 hours from start to finish, but I was not really working on a quick time as the main goal.

Thing I have learned from all of this.

1-Like most things, I could do the next one a lot quicker---not that I expect to do that.

2-Torque loopz look less intimidating to do after getting all of the other covers off. I see where everything is and how to take those things off. Hummmm -- Something to think about.

3-I am not suggesting or questioning anybody or their install process ---but ---I can see where an improper install could shorten the life of these. I am a bit anal, but if everything is not adjusted properly, premature wear will happen in my opinion. I spent over an hour making sure the ball joints were all as close to 90 degrees in every direction as possible (see the pictures in the first few posts). As you tighten things down there is a tendency to twist the ball inserts to the far limits and if it is used in this position, I see where everything is under stress. Weather or not this makes a difference, only time and miles will tell.

4-This thing certainly does tighten everything up a lot and I was able to adjust the shifter where I have no problem getting my boot under the lever.

5-The OEM connection did not have as much slop as I expected, but this is a lot tighter. The OEM had rubber boot covers over the balls and I wish this did also. The engineers figured they were needed for a reason and again, I wish they were on these. I would feel much better if they did.

6-If I had it to do all over, I am not sure if I would. I do love the feel, though.

Just my humble opinion, as always.

Quote Originally Posted by Old Ryder View Post
    What an experience!!!! I would rather install another set of Helibars. This took longer. Taking off the tupperware is always a pain for me. Grinding off the tops os the rivets wasn't a big deal. Drilling out the middle also was not, but beating them out took some time as I was careful not to break off any arms that was going to cost a fortune to replace. The biggest problem was the constant adjusting. You had to take it on and off probably about 7 or 8 times to get it whate I wanted. It is very tight working spaces. All together was about 4-5 hours from start to finish, but I was not really working on a quick time as the main goal.

Thing I have learned from all of this.

1-Like most things, I could do the next one a lot quicker---not that I expect to do that.

2-Torque loopz look less intimidating to do after getting all of the other covers off. I see where everything is and how to take those things off. Hummmm -- Something to think about.

3-I am not suggesting or questioning anybody or their install process ---but ---I can see where an improper install could shorten the life of these. I am a bit anal, but if everything is not adjusted properly, premature wear will happen in my opinion. I spent over an hour making sure the ball joints were all as close to 90 degrees in every direction as possible (see the pictures in the first few posts). As you tighten things down there is a tendency to twist the ball inserts to the far limits and if it is used in this position, I see where everything is under stress. Weather or not this makes a difference, only time and miles will tell.

4-This thing certainly does tighten everything up a lot and I was able to adjust the shifter where I have no problem getting my boot under the lever.

5-The OEM connection did not have as much slop as I expected, but this is a lot tighter. The OEM had rubber boot covers over the balls and I wish this did also. The engineers figured they were needed for a reason and again, I wish they were on these. I would feel much better if they did.

6-If I had it to do all over, I am not sure if I would. I do love the feel, though.

Just my humble opinion, as always.
    Great write up, Thanks!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Retired USAF
    1974 - 1994