F6B and minor buffeting issue
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: F6B and minor buffeting issue

F6B and minor buffeting issue

Purchased a black 2013 F6B a few weeks ago. As a matter of fact it is the one in the forum classifieds. Fellow that sold it to me was indeed a pleasure to work with and we had a real smooth transaction !!! It has the Vance and Hines Monster squared pipes which sound sweet .I absolutely love them. It also came with a few other accessories. One of them is the tall Honda windshield (16.5 inches)with a vent. I am 5'10" and I look over the shield which may come up to my nose? Ok,now to the point: The first time I took the bike for a ride i was very surprised that it felt like someone was behind me pushing me forward !!!! my first thought was "you have got to be kidding me" . I purchased this bike hoping to be in a pocket of non turbulence at all speeds. So I installed the baker hand wings but they didn't really seem to help much as I am still getting pushed forward(vacuum effect?). I am also experiencing buffeting around the head. I do wear a full face so there is a lot of helmet up there. Its mostly at speeds over 70. Now its not bothersome for short rides but I really don't think I could enjoy a ride at sustained speeds over 70. If I lean forward about 6" and down about 6" so i am looking through the windshield and I'm closer to the shield I find its relatively calm. I know there are lots of posts about windshields out there and that I probably need to switch it for another. But If any have thoughts or first hand experience on how to lick this problem please let me know. Thanks Russ

Unfortunately, my solution was a combination of items.

The most noticeable buffeting is when I wear my Scorpion, vented full face helmet. It by shape creates 99% of my buffeting. I have much less to nearly none when I wear a 3/4 half or 1/2 helmet.
    I get same effect on my other fairing bikes.

There are plenty of windshield threads you can search, so I won't start another.

My seating position mods with risers, footboards and backrest are the final.

Jim
    4 Wheels Move the Body
    2 Wheels Move the Soul
    In Loving Memory of My Brother
    "Death Waits In The Dark"

2013 F6B Deluxe

The Madstad windshield system resolved that for me.

I am 5'10" as well, with a medim Clearview recurve (apprx 16") and I get slight buffeting. But I do not get "pushed" from behind.

One thing I found interesting is that if I flip up the face shield on my 3/4 HJC helmet at speed; the buffeting pretty much goes away.

Coinincentally I have been planning to purchase another 3/4 helmet from Bell, that has a peak installed as well. I am hoping that the peak will negate the buffeting that the visor does, when in the up position. It will be an interesting test.

21 years Army (retired)
    ...been everywhere, seen everything, done almost everything.

IBA 80537

Quote Originally Posted by willtill View Post
    I am 5'10" as well, with a medim Clearview recurve (apprx 16") and I get slight buffeting. But I do not get "pushed" from behind.

One thing I found interesting is that if I flip up the face shield on my 3/4 HJC helmet at speed; the buffeting pretty much goes away.

Coinincentally I have been planning to purchase another 3/4 helmet from Bell, that has a peak installed as well. I am hoping that the peak will negate the buffeting that the visor does, when in the up position. It will be an interesting test.
    I have noticed the very same thing on occasion...I have the Baggershield, adjusted to the full height, and have very little wind noise and hardly any buffeting...I do notice more air movement unless I ride with my open face HJC 3/4 helmet or open the face shield on my Shoei 3/4....I have never felt any air pushing me forward, but I am only 5' 8" and seem to find myself in a nice quiet air pocket when riding at freeway speeds.....If I keep the face shield closed I also get a lot more "drone" from the Cobra pipes...which I have become used too....

Quote Originally Posted by F6B1911 View Post
    The Madstad windshield system resolved that for me.
    +1 on the Madstad, solved it for me and my passenger.

You may want to check if the windshield has any adjustment slots and if so if it can be moved up any. Sometimes an inch or so can make a big difference in the amount of air getting to you.

+2 on the Madstad....you can adjust.....tweek.....purchase 2 more windshields if you want. But eventually you will throw your hands in the air....Jump on the MadStad train and you will not be disappointed.

I had the same windshield with the same problem. The Madstad fixed it 100%.

If the Honda shield has a vent, opening it up will mostly eliminate the vacuum. #1 on the Madstad though.
    2013 F6B in black of course