Salt
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Salt

Salt

Watching the morning news, there was a story about the massive winter storm in the eastern part of the U.S. They showed trucks dumping tons of salt, and spraying roads with salt compounds. Reminds me of Wisconsin. Hope all you riders have someplace covered and dry for your cycles. After the snow is gone, make sure that salt crap is washed off the roads. That stuff turns to a fine powder, like dust, and gets in every crack and spot imaginable. And, aluminum does not like salt. We in the north, know the pain of parking our bikes for months, waiting for the spring rains to clean the roads.

For a change, we're north of the targeted area, only getting 4-8. DC, Baltimore, VA....you guys are in big trouble. I'm sure you don't have the equipment we have, and we have issues.
    “Gibraltar” 2016 white deluxe has been sold.

Snow Birding

I use to encounter all that winter $hit in NE Pa.! No more. Departing Pa. in mid-October for sunny North Central Florida and returning to Pa. in mid-April, I enjoy avoiding the cold, ice and snow. I really like visiting Lowe's, Home Depot and Tractor Supply and not seeing any "snow shovels", "snow blowers" and pallets of "rock salt". Currently 58 degrees with a heavy rain....much better than the "white stuff"

Quote Originally Posted by jm21ddd15 View Post
    Watching the morning news, there was a story about the massive winter storm in the eastern part of the U.S. They showed trucks dumping tons of salt, and spraying roads with salt compounds. Reminds me of Wisconsin. Hope all you riders have someplace covered and dry for your cycles. After the snow is gone, make sure that salt crap is washed off the roads. That stuff turns to a fine powder, like dust, and gets in every crack and spot imaginable. And, aluminum does not like salt. We in the north, know the pain of parking our bikes for months, waiting for the spring rains to clean the roads.
    Yep. My bikes are sound and asleep in my Amish sheds out back; on battery tenders with Seafoam stabilized fuel as well. Once the salt and the pre-treatment is put down; all motorcycle riding is shelved until a couple of rains wash it away.

Quote Originally Posted by wjduke View Post
    For a change, we're north of the targeted area, only getting 4-8. DC, Baltimore, VA....you guys are in big trouble. I'm sure you don't have the equipment we have, and we have issues.
    It's really not the snow that is the problem around here... it's the idiots whom don't know how to drive in it.

21 years Army (retired)
    ...been everywhere, seen everything, done almost everything.

IBA 80537

I have always wondered how long you guys wait before you go riding after the salt has been applied to the roads

Will said "a couple of rains", what is everyone's rule of thumb for waiting for the salt to dissolve?

Thanks

I wait for some of the sand to be swept up. By then, the salt is gone too. One or two rains is a good judge too.
    “Gibraltar” 2016 white deluxe has been sold.

Quote Originally Posted by Willl View Post
    I have always wondered how long you guys wait before you go riding after the salt has been applied to the roads

Will said "a couple of rains", what is everyone's rule of thumb for waiting for the salt to dissolve?

Thanks
    The amount of rain is a variable. One heavy rain can wash the whiteness of the salt from the streets. Or a couple of moderate rains will do it as well.

21 years Army (retired)
    ...been everywhere, seen everything, done almost everything.

IBA 80537

If you think the riding season in Wisconsin is short due to the winter, Detroit is worse.
    After the winter season, you need to wait until is rains enough to wash all of the salt away.
    ... Then you need to wait longer for the cold patch crews to fill in the potholes left by over-salting.

Thumbs up Salt, and more Salt!

Quote Originally Posted by F6B1911 View Post
    If you think the riding season in Wisconsin is short due to the winter, Detroit is worse.
    After the winter season, you need to wait until is rains enough to wash all of the salt away.
    ... Then you need to wait longer for the cold patch crews to fill in the potholes left by over-salting.
    Roads are salted here for months, so as a result it takes a few weeks of heavy rain to get rid of it. But I'm forever washing my bike to make sure all the crap is off it..
    "Once more into the fray, into the last good fight I'll ever know, to live and die on this day, to live and die on this day"

Quote Originally Posted by F6B1911 View Post
    Wait, you have cold patch crews??? We might see one in a mayoral election year. Kind of fun though, turns a straight stretch of road into twisties. All fun and games until you hit one.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]