Finally Drank the Koolaid

Thread: Finally Drank the Koolaid

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by willtill View Post
    What made you pick the 15" one? If I was going to get the Madstadt; I would go no smaller than the 13" but I wonder if the 15" would be akin to a barn door.

I also noticed in your trials and errors; that you had both the Clearview medium AND large windshields. The large still didn't do it for you? How tall are you?

Reason why I ask, is that I am still going through the windshield decision making process(s) and am not sure if changing out my current Clearview medium to a large; is the answer myself...

I still am trying to get my head around the ugliness of the Madstadt though.... maybe I'll get through that...
    I hear you on the looks factor. That's what made me try all the others first. At this point, I'm going for function over fashion. I'm 6' and I think my Ultimate seat raises me up just a bit over the stocker. Madstad recommends the 15" for 6'1" and above.

Both Clearview's I tried had the recurve but I still would get quite a bit of buffeting when riding. Especially on windy days which in Oklahoma is more often than not.

Speaking of barn doors, the 20" F4 Custom shield I tried was close to a barn door.

shooter
    Quote Originally Posted by okf6b View Post
    I hear you on the looks factor. That's what made me try all the others first. At this point, I'm going for function over fashion. I'm 6' and I think my Ultimate seat raises me up just a bit over the stocker. Madstad recommends the 15" for 6'1" and above.

Both Clearview's I tried had the recurve but I still would get quite a bit of buffeting when riding. Especially on windy days which in Oklahoma is more often than not.

Speaking of barn doors, the 20" F4 Custom shield I tried was close to a barn door.
    Ultimate seat definitely raises you up. Maybe as much as an inch.

Quote Originally Posted by okf6b View Post

Quote Originally Posted by shooter View Post
    I am sold on the 15"

Experience buffeting with the medium Clearview @ high speeds; and I am not going (though I love the look) of the large Clearview to negate that; on an assumption that it may work.

So just have to pull the trigger on the Madstadt.

21 years Army (retired)
    ...been everywhere, seen everything, done almost everything.

IBA 80537

Quote Originally Posted by shooter View Post
    Shooter... please post pictures of your stock OEM seat -vs- Ultimate seat; so I can get an idea of the driver seat area between the two.

21 years Army (retired)
    ...been everywhere, seen everything, done almost everything.

IBA 80537

I have the Ultimate King and got the 13" Madstad after trying a gazillion shields like you did. I'm 6' 1". Madstad is the only one that worked for me. The smoke shield on a black F6B really grows on you, makes the bike look kinda hi-tech.

I'm 6'1" and have the ultimate king seat. I went through the Honda Tall and the Clearview Tall before getting the Madstad in a 14". I didn't want to get too tall as some have stated the 15" was but since I have the taller seat I didn't want to get too short again with the 13". They were happy to make one at 14" when I called them. I haven't got to test it yet since it's still only 5 deg outside.

The Koolaid Is Good

Well, I received the my 15" Dark Smoke Madstad a couple of days ago and got it installed. First I have to say, the dark smoke looks good and does a nice job of hiding the brackets.

My first road test was this morning and I am amazed. Even at 90+ the airflow is smooth and goes 4-5 inches over my helmet. No buffeting at all. I should have tried it sooner. It would have saved me a bunch of money. I remember reading one post on here that said "just get a Madstad". That is the truth.