I remember reading an article years ago, that the development of the Yamaha Virago, and subsequent Japanese V twins unwittingly rekindled the Harley brand. It seems the semi retired and the older generation with disposable income and the desire to ride witnessed the introduction of Japanese V twins and that triggered Harley nostalgia. So, when making the decision to buy another motorcycle many decided to buy the brand instead of the knock off. As I understand it Harley capitalized on that nostalgia and created the beginnings of the pseudo bad boy [aka posers] club of riders that exist today. Many of whom are now too old and stiff to throw a leg over the bike and be able to sustain even a 100 miles of the ride without 800mg of naproxen, let alone plunk down 20k for a new one.

Instead of relying on accessorizing the rider maybe they should have focused on building a quality product.
Perhaps that will be HD's saving grace. Drop Motorcycle manufacturing and focus on what they're good at. Accessories and clothing..???

I don't see Victory / Indian / Polaris or whatever iteration of that V motor they make as even being a contender in the void Harley will leave behind....again.