Helmet or No Helmet, Not a debate! A simple do you wear always or sometimes. - Page 22

View Poll Results: Do you wear a helmet?

Voters
596. You may not vote on this poll
  • I always wear one!

476 79.87%
  • I sometimes wear one!

93 15.60%
  • I never wear one!

27 4.53%
Page 22 of 29 FirstFirst ... 121314151617181920212223242526272829 LastLast

Thread: Helmet or No Helmet, Not a debate! A simple do you wear always or sometimes.

I have to get back into the habit of wearing my full face modular again.. I've been wearing my three quarter almost constantly this last spring/summer.

21 years Army (retired)
    ...been everywhere, seen everything, done almost everything.

IBA 80537

shooter
    Quote Originally Posted by willtill View Post
    THIS is key to accepting; and wearing a helmet.
    So true. None of us like change so the helmet thing can be difficult. I wore a full face from the beginning. Coming off of dirt bikes with a full helmet it was easy. Been wearing them since the seventies. These days I have a couple Shoei Neotec's. Best helmet and mist comfortable I've worn.

Wearing a helmet is a personal decision and should not be legislated by any government, unless the person is under 18 years old. Government is suffocating the people with new legislation.

I've watched PA go from not requiring helmets, to "mandatory helmet" and now back to "no helmet law." I wear a helmet all the time, but I don't believe anyone of age should be forced to.

my 2 cents

I've always worn a good quality helmet. Would feel naked without one, kinda like seat belts.
    USN Retired
    IBA # 37743
    2013 F6B Deluxe "Big Red"
    2015 F6B Blue (Hers)
    Cage - 2006 SLK 280
    Previous Rides: 2005 BMW K1200LT, 2006 VTX 1300R,1986 CB650 Nighthawk, 1982 CM450, countless dirt bikes.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Give yourself a fighting chance

According to the law here in PA you do not have to wear a helmet but I always do. Prefer to wear a full face. Just bought two new helmets this year from Revzilla. The Bell is modular and for $199 I just could not pass it up. The other is an Icon Alliance Dark Helmet that came with both a clear and a dark shield for $150. I saw an article reviewing the F6B, when it was first released in 2013, and I really liked the image they presented of this guy all "blacked out" carving down a mountain road with that Icon helmet on. I believe the secret to wearing a helmet is to have multiple styles of helmets to choose from = just to keep you enthused about wearing one. That way you can always give yourself a fighting chance. It is so easy to tell yourself: "I'm just going for a little putt. Just a scoot around the block. I don't need a helmet today." But you will never know when you will need one. I went down in 1979 and the front of my "Darth Vader Style" Simpson helmet was absolutely ruined. God Bless my Dad for buying me that expensive helmet, back when I was just a young dumb kid, and begging me: "Son, please, wear it for me."

Attachment 18909Attachment 18911

First of all, Mass has a helmet law...the only state in the area that does, so no choice there. Not new news, but I got hit by a cager in April 2014, and my helmet hit the road. I always wore one before that and always will, no matter what.
    “Gibraltar” 2016 white deluxe has been sold.

I always wear a helmet. I won't pontificate here but head and brain injuries rarely end well. I have two Shoei RF1200's. A red one for the Ducati and a new Grey Terminus for the F6B. Ride safe...

For most of us that wear helmets; I have a question....

...do any of you also wear a "dew rag" underneath it?

I normally wear a 'dew rag" under my helmets; and it helps keep the helmet innards clean. However it does seem to defeat (at least to me) in cooling effect that is built into many helmets; regarding the vents and air channels in the liner.

I am (I may) dispense with the "dew rag" solution and just go "naked" inside my brain bucket this summer. But that results in an mildly unpleasant helmet interior... due to sweat and hair oils... maybe.

21 years Army (retired)
    ...been everywhere, seen everything, done almost everything.

IBA 80537

I normally wear a 'dew rag" under my helmets; and it helps keep the helmet innards clean. However it does seem to defeat (at least to me) in cooling effect that is built into many helmets; regarding the vents and air channels in the liner.

I am (I may) dispense with the "dew rag" solution and just go "naked" inside my brain bucket this summer. But that results in an mildly unpleasant helmet interior... due to sweat and hair oils... maybe.
    I wear baseball hats the right way and that's about it. I wash the liners a couple times a season.
    “Gibraltar” 2016 white deluxe has been sold.

I'm a helmet guy, too. Most quality helmets have removable inner parts that can be cleaned/washed. I suppose, the amount of sweating differs from each persons "body" and the temps they ride in. I wear a Shoei Neotec, and it gets hot at slow speeds, but seems ok at hyway cruising, but does need occasional cleaning.