Another Dirtstiff Speaker Thread - Page 19
Page 19 of 30 FirstFirst ... 91011121314151617181920212223242526272829 ... LastLast

Thread: Another Dirtstiff Speaker Thread

Quote Originally Posted by mrjava View Post
    Im posting some pics to provide answers that I had, and maybe others.
    The lower reading is from the JBL speaker.

Attachment 19753
    2.5 ohms? Hmmm.... closer to the OEM 3.0 than the spec'ed JBL 2.0

But is "close" only applicable to horseshoes and hand grenades?

21 years Army (retired)
    ...been everywhere, seen everything, done almost everything.

IBA 80537

Blueverclear,

Let me know when you get the tour pack pods and how that works out.
    Are you planning on using some Harley pods? So they just bolt onto the tour pack?

I have heard that there is a speaker harness for rear speakers under the seat. Are they the same power as the front channel?
    Has anyone used this rear speaker harness yet? how does it sound? Are they as loud as the front?
    Steve

Quote Originally Posted by Dirtstiff's F6B View Post
    Haha I think I could see the speaker grills just a bouncing, sound good. If I had bought the Polk DXI6.5, Id try these.

Quote Originally Posted by stevenolts View Post
    Blueverclear,

Let me know when you get the tour pack pods and how that works out.
    Are you planning on using some Harley pods? So they just bolt onto the tour pack?

I have heard that there is a speaker harness for rear speakers under the seat. Are they the same power as the front channel?
    Has anyone used this rear speaker harness yet? how does it sound? Are they as loud as the front?
    Steve
    Hey steve,

Anxiously waiting on my speaker pods from June's Upholstery, should be here tomorrow . I have a chopped pak and June's is pretty much the only ones making them for the chopped pak. Price was reasonable too @ $160 shipped to my door.

Im counting on the fact that the rear channel is going to sound like the front channel from the oem amp which is not bad at all. I like my music LOUD when im rolling so I usually have the volume between 16 - 18 around town and 22 - 24 on the interstate @ 85 mph or so. I think that the added speakers in the tour pak will add some volume and debt to the system, making it a fuller sound and allowing me to keep the radio volume alot lower with will probably add some life back into the factory amp. If not satisfactory, I will just have an excuse to add an amp and be done lol I sure would like to add some bass though............. thought about adding a removable speaker in the tour pak. Any suggestions???

Grant

Quote Originally Posted by blueverclear View Post
    Hey steve,

Anxiously waiting on my speaker pods from June's Upholstery, should be here tomorrow . I have a chopped pak and June's is pretty much the only ones making them for the chopped pak. Price was reasonable too @ $160 shipped to my door.

Im counting on the fact that the rear channel is going to sound like the front channel from the oem amp which is not bad at all. I like my music LOUD when im rolling so I usually have the volume between 16 - 18 around town and 22 - 24 on the interstate @ 85 mph or so. I think that the added speakers in the tour pak will add some volume and debt to the system, making it a fuller sound and allowing me to keep the radio volume alot lower with will probably add some life back into the factory amp. If not satisfactory, I will just have an excuse to add an amp and be done lol I sure would like to add some bass though............. thought about adding a removable speaker in the tour pak. Any suggestions???

Grant
    The micro sub series from JL Audio . I have the 6.5" version in my left saddlebag. Packs a lot of punch . Unbelievable amount of bass out that little guy. I am pushing 200 watts to it. Of course, JL Audio also sells these with a built in amp as well. Of course if you could fit a bigger one, go with the 8 or 10" version. You will also have to vent your tour pack to allow the sound to move.
    http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_...06LG-W3v3.html
    "Go sell crazy somewhere else, we're all stocked up"

I installed the JBL speakers today. I used the tin snips and it was easy. I snipped on each side of the area to be removed / used needle nose pliers too bend back / snipped across / snipped a little deeper / bent back /snipped off / installed the speakers. Just as plug and play as the J&Ms well almost. Don't be intimidated this was a lot easier than I thought it would be.

As far as the comparison between the new J&Ms, JBLs, and stock speakers. I only rode a short distance and barley got up to 60PH where the speakers kick in better. I have the stock amplifier that came with the bike.

Stock = really not that bad

New J&Ms = much better than stock / clearer at high volume

JBLs = much better than stock / clearer than both the J&Ms and stock at higher volume.

Bottom line advice:
    If you have stock buy the JBLs
    If you already have the J&Ms I am not yet sure that the JBLs are that much of an upgrade. (I still need to do more testing)
    Steve

Cool Speaker Challenge

I would have to think that Dirtstiff's speakers will be better than my new set. But just to clarify on my set, they are the upgraded J&M set, not the stock set they sell. I did notice a great difference and definitely want to hear Dirtstiff's. Like Will said, we will put a Db meter on them and also listen to any distortion issues. Reason I am okay with mine, is I am partially deaf in one ear, so I just need clarity. Quality, to some degree is wasted on the bad ear. But I know Dirtstiff does class act upgrades to his ride, I can't wait to hear them.
    Ride Safe, Ride Often

C

Mekong Delta/Can Tho/ Rung Sat- 8/66 ~ 8/68

Quote Originally Posted by Chas View Post
    I would have to think that Dirtstiff's speakers will be better than my new set. But just to clarify on my set, they are the upgraded J&M set, not the stock set they sell. I did notice a great difference and definitely want to hear Dirtstiff's. Like Will said, we will put a Db meter on them and also listen to any distortion issues. Reason I am okay with mine, is I am partially deaf in one ear, so I just need clarity. Quality, to some degree is wasted on the bad ear. But I know Dirtstiff does class act upgrades to his ride, I can't wait to hear them.

Your bringing a knife to a gunfight my friend. J/K
    Just trying to share an effective and affordable option.

If your happy, that's all that matters anyway.
    4 Wheels Move the Body
    2 Wheels Move the Soul
    In Loving Memory of My Brother
    "Death Waits In The Dark"

2013 F6B Deluxe

Got my bike out of hibernation today. I took it for a 10 mile ride, added sea foam and top off the tank with fuel. I came home because rain was coming in and it got colder. So I decided to put in the JBL'S if it wasn't for losing a nut sert I would have had them in an hour or less. I used straight and right handed tin snipes, it was so simple this way and no grinding dust. Now for my review. I only listened to the radio. I live 35 miles south of Chicago so my signal on all radio stations are great. These speaker do not seem as loud on lower volume 15 to 20. At under 50 MPH 15 to 20 is not loud enough. Once I hit 20 on the volume these speakers come alive. At 20 these speakers have no detectable distortion . They are not very responsive at the lower volumes. The stock speakers were louder at lower volume but became distorted after 20. So my review is buy them but you have run them at a higher volume than what your use to. You will not have distortion from these speakers at higher volume like you did with the stock ones.

If I could make a couple suggestions.

Try listening with music down loaded to a thumb drive (at the highest megabit per second download rate available) and turn on your auto volume control (AVC) to medium.

In my opinion, most speakers sound mediocre listening to fm and Sirius radio.

If you really want to bring them to life, add an amp.

Jim
    4 Wheels Move the Body
    2 Wheels Move the Soul
    In Loving Memory of My Brother
    "Death Waits In The Dark"

2013 F6B Deluxe