Snow tire disadvantages?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Snow tire disadvantages?

Snow tire disadvantages?

Searching online, I found several sites that stated disadvantages of using snow tires on cars in the summer:

- Slippery in the rain because not a lot of siping

- Heat related failure

- summer, and they turn "greasy" very rapidly,

- On dry and wet roads, you’re sacrificing handling.

I know lots of riders like snow tires, but would these problems not be applicable to darkside motorcycling also?
    If you are not part of the solution, YOU are the problem.

Where the people fear the government you have tyranny. Where the government fears the people you have liberty.

See my thread re the same question from a few days ago. You may find some info there.

http://hondaf6b.com/showthread.php?8...ith-SNOW-TIRES
    I've spent most my money on Motorcycles and Women, the rest I just wasted.

Quote Originally Posted by DMAGOLDRDR View Post
    See my thread re the same question from a few days ago. You may find some info there.

http://hondaf6b.com/showthread.php?8...ith-SNOW-TIRES

I read that but it it didn't really help. According to what I read running a winter tire inthr summer on a car is not good. Will the lighter weight of a bike negate those disadvantages?

Where the people fear the government you have tyranny. Where the government fears the people you have liberty.

Quote Originally Posted by Davidk View Post
    I read that but it it didn't really help. According to what I read running a winter tire inthr summer on a car is not good. Will the lighter weight of a bike negate those disadvantages?
    No issues, I run the Michelin on my 13 and live in sunny Florida. Temps near 100 many days. I have no issues at all! This is my second one. The first one started on my Wing and finished on my 6. Close to 30k and I was so happy with it I bought a second one.

shooter
    It gets pretty hot in MO and my Michelin looks good. No problems. I would buy another if they were still making them when I need it. Could be a few years.

Logic

With both cars, pick-up's and semi's routinely traveling our interstates from North to South and reverse I believe the debate of running a designated "snow tire" to be a non-issue. The exception would be a vehicle with studded tires in which case in the state of Pa. those tires had to be removed by April 1st, if my memory serves me right. Summer and winters tires not only have different thread/tread designs but different rates of Silica in their rubber compounds. That would have a direct impact on winter traction and tire life. Technically tires have to perform in all kinds of conditions, be it winter or summer. Most tires are embossed with Threat Wear, Temperature and Tractions Rating which give the consumer some idea of the tires overall performance That said, many tires carry a all-season rating....good performance summer or winter

Alright then gents, Michelin Primacy Alpin PA3 purchased.

I don't want car or snow tires for my f6b. I just replaced a set of Dunlop elite3 tires off my Harley Davidson ultra limited with 24,000 miles on them. That is the tire that's going the F6B next year.

I've "been there and done that" 5-7 k miles on a motorcycle business. That's the biggest pain in the ass of motorcycle ownership. If I rode a sport bike, I would buy new tires annually.

Quote Originally Posted by Brewdog View Post
    I don't want car or snow tires for my f6b. I just replaced a set of Dunlop elite3 tires off my Harley Davidson ultra limited with 24,000 miles on them. That is the tire that's going the F6B next year.
    Please make sure you revisit and update this post when you get 24K miles of wear from a Dunlop Elite 3 on your F6B

Quote Originally Posted by bob109 View Post
    Please make sure you revisit and update this post when you get 24K miles of wear from a Dunlop Elite 3 on your F6B
    Greetings from China this week. Sure will bob109. It took me 4 years to put 24k on my Harley. I wouldn't want to keep a tire that was much more than 5 years old on any motorcycle. My average ride is 250 miles per day.