Who else does this
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Who else does this

Who else does this

Is it me or are they a few who do this.
    EVERY TIME I GET ON OR OFF THE BIKE (I KICK THE D@M PASSENGER BACK REST)
    I have a few nice scuff marks on it now lol.

Not so much the backrest however the foot pegs catch me all the time backing my bike up.

Don't have one to kick, but I get lazy and drag a boot over the saddlebag once in a while. Plus, in another post, I tend to grab the kickstand when I'm stopping in traffic.
    “Gibraltar” 2016 white deluxe has been sold.

Always............

I altered my departure technique

I now keep my foot on the left foot peg when getting off the B for that very reason. I hate putting scuffs in the backrest and saddlebag and keeping one's foot on the left foot peg elevates you enough to clear most obstructions in your way. I also have an ogio bag strapped in the passenger area I have to clear so that is what works for me. Also when it's on the center stand that is the only way on the bike using the left foot peg to elevate yourself over onto the seat

It is just habit now

But after catching a boot eyelet on the top of my Ultra Classic trunk/backrest, I make a conscious effort now---but I love the way the top of the Honda backrest is hard plastic to avoid another visit to my local upholstery shop.
    "Life is hard. Harder when you are stupid"-- John Wayne[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I know one individual who grabs his shoe as he gets off or on. Then it is his hand/knuckles that touch the seat as leg is going over. Apparently he learned from an expensive experience in seat scratches.

Not my F6B, but I mount my DR650 (taller bike) from the RIGHT side; by standing on the right rider's peg with my right foot; simultaneously gripping the handlebars; and then swing my left leg over as the bike is coming up off of the kickstand.

It's the ONLY way I can really mount that bike; especially with the tailbag I have on the rear rack.

21 years Army (retired)
    ...been everywhere, seen everything, done almost everything.

IBA 80537

After being involved in selling motorcycles, I got sick and tired of customers dragging their boots across the passenger seat and saddle bags. I would show them a simple way to mount the bike no matter your age. Stand directly next to and facing the seat on the left side of the bike. Raise your right leg up as high as you can and step directly over the drivers seat. Reverse the process to dismount. The trick here is to raise your leg as high as you can or you will scratch the riders seat while mounting or dismounting. Give it a try. It works. On my taller off road bikes I step on the left foot rest and swing my right leg over the bike. Good luck. I hope this suggestion was helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Maddoggie501 View Post
    After being involved in selling motorcycles, I got sick and tired of customers dragging their boots across the passenger seat and saddle bags. I would show them a simple way to mount the bike no matter your age. Stand directly next to and facing the seat on the left side of the bike. Raise your right leg up as high as you can and step directly over the drivers seat. Reverse the process to dismount. The trick here is to raise your leg as high as you can or you will scratch the riders seat while mounting or dismounting. Give it a try. It works. On my taller off road bikes I step on the left foot rest and swing my right leg over the bike. Good luck. I hope this suggestion was helpful.
    I have used this method for years. Works great and your not contorting your body like your trying to get on a horse. Although some might argue that we have iron horses. LOL
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

1974 CB 750
    1976 Sportster
    1978 Low Rider
    1984 Superglide
    1994 Road King
    2000 Ultra Classic
    2016 F6B