Looking to mount Ram ball on emblem above glove box
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Looking to mount Ram ball on emblem above glove box

Looking to mount Ram ball on emblem above glove box

anyone done this? (On another thread (I did STFA) I saw Cheeseyrider mentioned it, but I didnt see how he did it...I want it for a GPS I had it on a suction on windshield, but the ram works better for me, and it is the ideal place...other than using stickey stuff, anyone do this with a mechanical connection? What's under that black F6B emblem?
    ?

" Truth is often deemed rude, blunt and to the point which is why so few make their friend " Freddy Hayler ..352-267-1553 Sanford, FLA Gutterman6000@Gmail.com

Quote Originally Posted by RickJ View Post
    anyone done this? (On another thread (I did STFA) I saw Cheeseyrider mentioned it, but I didnt see how he did it...I want it for a GPS I had it on a suction on windshield, but the ram works better for me, and it is the ideal place...other than using stickey stuff, anyone do this with a mechanical connection? What's under that black F6B emblem?
    ?
    To answer your question as to what is behind the F6 emblem:
    Inset into the badge area - which is the larger rectangle - the black rectangle contains a white tab...
    Attachment 21467

...which fits into the slot outlined below.

Attachment 21466

There is a fairly open, deeper area just forward of where the slot is.

Hope this helps.
    Cheers,
    Steve
    My girls:
    Isleen - 2014 F6BD
    Saorla - 1995 FLSTN Heritage Special

"Politeness, n: The most acceptable hypocrisy."
    Ambrose Bierce

?
    Hi Rickj. I used the Ram ball mount with the 1/4 inch stud. I actually drilled a hole in the glove box door and mounted the ball stud in the door with a fender washer on the back side. I then bought the Ram 2 inch connector and the Ram mount for my GPS. The ball stud I mounted to the glove box door doubles as a little handle I use to open the door. I wish I knew how to post pictures cause as they say, their worth a thousand words. If you need more clarification I will try to help with that.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

1974 CB 750
    1976 Sportster
    1978 Low Rider
    1984 Superglide
    1994 Road King
    2000 Ultra Classic
    2016 F6B

53driver WOW, thanks for the detailed response. Steve, I want to mount above that box. in the area 53driver dhowed. Further looking I found a stickeytape garman mount...the base is about the size of that emblem...I wonder if the 3m tape is strong enough...

The RED tape should hold.... If I had to do it over I would get the bar that goes across the handle bars.....
    http://wingstuff.com/products/20071-...bar-for-gl1800
    Attached Images Attached Images
    " Truth is often deemed rude, blunt and to the point which is why so few make their friend " Freddy Hayler ..352-267-1553 Sanford, FLA Gutterman6000@Gmail.com

Quote Originally Posted by Penguin View Post
    Hi Rickj. I used the Ram ball mount with the 1/4 inch stud. I actually drilled a hole in the glove box door and mounted the ball stud in the door with a fender washer on the back side. I then bought the Ram 2 inch connector and the Ram mount for my GPS. The ball stud I mounted to the glove box door doubles as a little handle I use to open the door. I wish I knew how to post pictures cause as they say, their worth a thousand words. If you need more clarification I will try to help with that.
    As I understand Rick, this is not the way he wants to go but I think this is what you did.

Figured out how to attach pictures. Heres what I did.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

1974 CB 750
    1976 Sportster
    1978 Low Rider
    1984 Superglide
    1994 Road King
    2000 Ultra Classic
    2016 F6B

Quote Originally Posted by Penguin View Post
    Figured out how to attach pictures. Heres what I did.
    That glove box...rather than above, may be the way to go. How is the GPS visibility? I preferred not looking down so much...on that emblem, it is a little less eyes off road to see GPS!

That glove box...rather than above, may be the way to go. How is the GPS visibility? I preferred not looking down so much...on that emblem, it is a little less eyes off road to see GPS!
    Rick - I have my bike apart for some mods - hence the pictures were easy to take last night when I saw your request for information.

The plastic under that badge is thin - not "load bearing" capability in my humble (and widely ignored) opinion.
    The glove box lid is way more rigid and it looks like a mount can be installed VERY professionally rather than red taped to the surface or a flimsy hole that will need reinforcement.
    Yes, it has been done in that area and can look great, but structurally, my Statics & Dynamics classes tell me the glove box might be the better option.
    And it's a helluva lot easier to get to!

For the "not looking down so much" I'm sure RAM - like Go Pro - has a kit for extending or angling their product, either before or after the ball.
    Git 'er done!
    Steve
    My girls:
    Isleen - 2014 F6BD
    Saorla - 1995 FLSTN Heritage Special

"Politeness, n: The most acceptable hypocrisy."
    Ambrose Bierce