Is It The Tire or the Pressure
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Is It The Tire or the Pressure

Is It The Tire or the Pressure

I have about 18 hundred miles on a new OEM Bridgestone rear tire and the center section had already a very distinguished flattened area in the center of the tire. The same thing happened to the first tire so I am wondering if we are running the correct pressure. I have had it at 41 pounds from the start so I am thinking of adding a few pound to see if it will eventually round out. Has anyone else experience this on their rear OEM tire?

41 is per the manual, AND it's also the max listed on the side of the tire.
    I'm not sure going higher is safer - especially with hotter weather coming.

Gotta ask: did you check the pressure with different gauges? Make sure one isn't lying to you?
    My girls:
    Isleen - 2014 F6BD
    Saorla - 1995 FLSTN Heritage Special

"Politeness, n: The most acceptable hypocrisy."
    Ambrose Bierce

if you go more you will wear it out more if you want more tire on the ground let some out say 35
    Battoo

I don't want more tire on the road

I want the tire to stay round more than having a flattened center section. It almost squares up the tire, with ridges on each side, like the tire in the thread about Elroy's Extended trip help is doing the same thing as my old tire and new tire is doing. I have two gauges I depend upon and both are made by Slime and they are both a lot more accurate then one might expect of a small tire gauge. I never had a tire on my old bike do what this tire is doing, the old bike tire always stayed round and didn't flatten out in the center like the stones are doing.

I have over 9,000 miles on my rear tire and it still has a decent amount of tread left...When I change tires, probably this fall, I am not going to use the OEM tires, but plan to get the new Dunlop E-4's as I am told they wear much, much better than the E-3's and are a better tire than the Bridgestones ...JMHO....Ride safe....BTW, I usually try to keep the front at 38/39 and the rear at 40/41....

is tire or tire pressure

I HAve wondered same,been running that 41 psi.In my case I have never owned big touring ride like this so maybe the big weight difference compared with my past bikes explain the flat spot.I currently am @ 12000 miles .I know tires in future just tricky knowing when cause they not cheap, wear bars my best indicator I suppose

Perhaps a flat spot from sitting over the winter if the bike was on its side stand?

Car tire on rear.
    /thread

21 years Army (retired)
    ...been everywhere, seen everything, done almost everything.

IBA 80537

shooter
    Dog , youre riding in a straight line too much. Lean that thing over some. Find some curves. Get rid of that chicken strip. If that don't work as you ride down a straight road lean your body one way and the bike the other. After 5 miles switch sides.

Mine did the same. I ride my bike to work. too much superslab. Definitely wore the center down to almost flat. Sidewalls had plenty of tread.