GPS ADVICE

Thread: GPS ADVICE

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by WIRED2 View Post
    Happy 4th all! ... Looking to purchase a GPS for my F6B ... Looking on advice on unit, mounting and power set up ... Currently looking at a Garmin Zumo 595lm ... Any suggestions? ...
    I ran into an interesting unforeseen issue with my Garmin Zumo 660. It's the first generation 660 and has been a super reliable unit as far as build and features go. I am happy with the unit overall.

Recently I decided to buy a lifetime map subscription instead of upgrading the whole unit. The hiccup I encountered with my first map update since purchasing the subscription is that there is not enough room on the unit itself to hold all the newest map files. I needed to use the micro SD card to hold the map files update. That meant some of the music files I put on the micro SD had to go to make room. I think it also means that running files from the card may be a little slower. The unit does "seem" to be a bit sluggish now, but I haven't measured read speeds, so it might be all in my mind.

The moral of the story is when purchasing a "Lifetime Maps" GPS unit today check to see how much storage is on the actual unit itself to accommodate future updates. You don't want to run out of storage too soon. I think the more internal storage you can get, the better.

Quote Originally Posted by unsub View Post
    I ran into an interesting unforeseen issue with my Garmin Zumo 660. It's the first generation 660 and has been a super reliable unit as far as build and features go. I am happy with the unit overall.

Recently I decided to buy a lifetime map subscription instead of upgrading the whole unit. The hiccup I encountered with my first map update since purchasing the subscription is that there is not enough room on the unit itself to hold all the newest map files. I needed to use the micro SD card to hold the map files update. That meant some of the music files I put on the micro SD had to go to make room. I think it also means that running files from the card may be a little slower. The unit does "seem" to be a bit sluggish now, but I haven't measured read speeds, so it might be all in my mind.

The moral of the story is when purchasing a "Lifetime Maps" GPS unit today check to see how much storage is on the actual unit itself to accommodate future updates. You don't want to run out of storage too soon. I think the more internal storage you can get, the better.
    Unsub, there might be a way around this issue. I had the same problem with a Garmin Nuvi years ago and found a link that walked a user through deleting unnecessary files such as language files etc that you don't need. Doing a search on the web should help you find it. I would recommend doing a backup of your Zumo before wiping anything out though.
    Do your Best and Miss the Rest!

GARMIN 595lm

All I can say is buy it