GPS ADVICE

Thread: GPS ADVICE

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by 53driver View Post
    She's been quite the player lately since Isleen has been down for a few weeks going through some air frame changes.
    Very proud of her. Doing quite well for a 21 year old Harley.
    She's well cared for so she's happy!

I have been looking for a Zumo gps for quite some time. Read threw reviews and looked at different units and am just as confused as I was a year ago. The general consensus seems to be that they are over priced and prone to many issues. W/the ability to use a memory stick, Ipod or phone for music I don't see a need for a music player, don't need traffic updates or weather, the tire monitoring system would be nice but not a necessity for me. I have been looking at the refurbished 665 , 550 and even the 590. Will have to make a decision soon.

I went through the same thing and ended up with the Navigon iPhone app. Works great and is only $60! Add an Otterbox for weather proofing and your'e still way ahead of the game. Check 'em out…

http://www.navigon.com/portal/us/pro...are/index.html

Quote Originally Posted by choptop View Post
    I have been looking for a Zumo gps for quite some time. Read threw reviews and looked at different units and am just as confused as I was a year ago. The general consensus seems to be that they are over priced and prone to many issues. W/the ability to use a memory stick, Ipod or phone for music I don't see a need for a music player, don't need traffic updates or weather, the tire monitoring system would be nice but not a necessity for me. I have been looking at the refurbished 665 , 550 and even the 590. Will have to make a decision soon.
    The older Zumo's are not a bad buy at all as long as you set your expectations accordingly and factor in future memory requirements for map updates.

I bought a regular garmin w/ lifetime updates for around $100 and a weatherproof case from ebay for $30, mounted it on the handlebar and was done.

Quote Originally Posted by junkyarddog View Post
    I bought a regular garmin w/ lifetime updates for around $100 and a weatherproof case from ebay for $30, mounted it on the handlebar and was done.
    Did that w/an old Nuvi, just had a problem seeing the screen in the sun.

I find the nuvi 2597LMT acceptable in the sun depending on mount angle. $150 on Amazon.

I recently began creating routes using basecamp and the many files available for download on local riding sites. Both of my trips over the weekend took twice as long and were twice as fun

Thanks all ... Great information ... Picked up the Garmin Zumo 595LM ...