f6b fork brace
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: f6b fork brace

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Go with the kury

I watched the traxion gold wing video thats a few years old . Its on YouTube, it was before they ( traxion) made their own brace. In the video he recomended the kury. I don't know if superbrace was around then. The traxion guy said you should be able to notice it at very low speeds. Its was quite convincing. I just got my kury in the mail today. I plan on getting the traxxion forks and rear springs done in a month or so. The video was at a goldwing event. It was very informative about our suspension systems weaknesses. Having a cartridge on only one side is a ridiculous oe cost savings scheme.

Quote Originally Posted by Audiochris90 View Post
    I watched the traxion gold wing video thats a few years old . Its on YouTube, it was before they ( traxion) made their own brace. In the video he recomended the kury. I don't know if superbrace was around then. The traxion guy said you should be able to notice it at very low speeds. Its was quite convincing. I just got my kury in the mail today. I plan on getting the traxxion forks and rear springs done in a month or so. The video was at a goldwing event. It was very informative about our suspension systems weaknesses. Having a cartridge on only one side is a ridiculous oe cost savings scheme.
    Can you articulate further please?

21 years Army (retired)
    ...been everywhere, seen everything, done almost everything.

IBA 80537

I put a Superbrace on my 6B and certainly noticed a difference. It tightened up the front end and feels like it's on a rail in those long sweeping curves.

2 dollar dampner rod

Quote Originally Posted by willtill View Post
    All I meant was one fork in our bike uses a modern damping cartridge but the other fork has the 1960 type solid rod with a hole in which the fork oil is pushed through. The traxxion guy said it costs about 2 bucks. Great old video of a traxxion presentation to a gold wing event with a set of our forks for demo. On YouTube.

Spending for the sake of spending

My 2015 deluxe hasn't an issue that the fork brace would fix, it doesn't wander, the roads where they have grooved the concrete it runs straight over them and doesn't hunt the ridges, I run curves hard with the bike and it just runs them like its on rails. So spend the money on something, I have to see a need for it and its not there.

Quote Originally Posted by seadog View Post
    My 2015 deluxe hasn't an issue that the fork brace would fix, it doesn't wander, the roads where they have grooved the concrete it runs straight over them and doesn't hunt the ridges, I run curves hard with the bike and it just runs them like its on rails. So spend the money on something, I have to see a need for it and its not there.
    Sea dog, initially I did not see a need for a Superbrace either, on my F6B.

But... I had installed a fork brace a long time ago on my past DL650. And it was a marvelous transformation on how my bike handled after that.

So I decided to try the Superbrace on my F6B to see if anything would be improved regarding the handling... my expectations of a better controlled front end were realized.

....which surprised me on my bike post install. These Fork braces are an improvement. Try one, you will see... Or money back from Superbrace guaranteed.

Sheesh... I think Superbrace should hire me as a salesman.

21 years Army (retired)

IBA 80537

Sea dog, initially I did not see a need for a Superbrace either, on my F6B.

But... I had installed a fork brace a long time ago on my past DL650. And it was a marvelous transformation on how my bike handled after that.

So I decided to try the Superbrace on my F6B to see if anything would be improved regarding the handling... my expectations of a better controlled front end were realized.

....which surprised me on my bike post install. These Fork braces are an improvement. Try one, you will see... Or money back from Superbrace guaranteed.

Sheesh... I think Superbrace should hire me as a salesman.

The guy who invented the first wheel was an idiot -
    the guy who invented the second one... he was the genius!

http://theringfinders.com/blog/Larry.Royal/

Kury brace question

Hey guys,
    I know this thread is a few weeks old, and i have my kury brace on for a month now. I followed kurys instructions and it did not require loosen of the pinch bolts. On my vtx 1800r, i remember taping the forks in or out to get the brakes to stop dragging after a tire change. The line on the spacer and the fork were critical to the rotor set between the pads. On the B , i have no issues after kury brace install, but would the same rotor / pad issue happen to the Goldwing/f6b if you reset the fork / axel spacing?

Quote Originally Posted by Audiochris90 View Post
    Hey guys,
    I know this thread is a few weeks old, and i have my kury brace on for a month now. I followed kurys instructions and it did not require loosen of the pinch bolts. On my vtx 1800r, i remember taping the forks in or out to get the brakes to stop dragging after a tire change. The line on the spacer and the fork were critical to the rotor set between the pads. On the B , i have no issues after kury brace install, but would the same rotor / pad issue happen to the Goldwing/f6b if you reset the fork / axel spacing?
    I personally have never heard such a thing.

The calipers are bolted via brackets to the forks (or directly to the lower shock body). The forks are aligned precisely 90 degrees parallel to the front axle, which in turn presents a 90 degree alignment with the rotors as they are positioned within the calipers.

Purpose of setting the axle in the forks by bouncing the front end, with the pinch bolts loosened, is to insure that any slight "twist" in the forks as they relate to each other is minimized, and the forks are aligned and are ready to be finally tightened down on the axle's clamping surface with the pinch bolts.

You have no idea if there was a slight twist in your forks when you installed your Superbrace. Which would maintain that twist. Though I'm sure that there was not. Myself, I loosened the pinch bolts and gently bounced the front end to enable myself to sleep better at night, before installing my Superbrace.

21 years Army (retired)

IBA 80537

Fork brace vs no fork brace

Picture yourself standing on a 3 foot ladder that has two cross-braces: one at the bottom (axle), one at the top (triple-tree). You have at least 1/2 of 1050+/- lbs being applied to the side rails of the ladder while you are twisting, turning, and throwing a LOT of side-load and tortion into the ladder, at times the full + considerable inertia.

Instability? You bet. Turn the wrong way, and the ladder buckles.

That is exaggerated to make the point, but even 45-47 mm of steel tube flexes in the middle of the (non-braced) space when you add the inertia of the weight being forced (through the guy on top of the ladder) to the side-rails (tubes). How could bracing that flex point NOT improve the rigidity of the 'ladder'. Any added bracing in that space will help. They learned that with the stock GL1100, and added a 'brace'.

Other than dead-straight-on-the-road riding, having that 'flex-point' point braced will absolutely affect the rigidity of the unit, hence affect the handling characteristics and the 'feel'. The upsides are obvious.

Downsides of stiffening the front end by added bracing? Tire-wear & wheel bearings: probably hard to measure, but my gut tells me they will reduce in lifespan: there's lessened tube-flex to act as a shock-absorber for a relatively infinitesimal amount of the forces creating the wear. Hmmm. Is that really a downside? 45100 miles on bearings instead of 45050..?

Which brace? Any brace is better than none. Get the best stiffness at the best weight. Get the best brace you can find.

Ride safe.