f6b fork brace - Page 4
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: f6b fork brace

Quote Originally Posted by SimonTemplar View Post
    I've been looking at the SuperBrace and the Kury. In the YouTube videos, the Kury appears to be a bit beefier than the Super....but once everything is nailed down,does it make a difference beyond looks?

Anyone try both? Any discernible difference in handling?

....sT
    Your forks will not move with either brace. They both will do the same thing. The brace (either of them) won't flex.

21 years Army (retired)
    ...been everywhere, seen everything, done almost everything.

IBA 80537

Quote Originally Posted by SimonTemplar View Post
    I've been looking at the SuperBrace and the Kury. In the YouTube videos, the Kury appears to be a bit beefier than the Super....but once everything is nailed down,does it make a difference beyond looks?

Anyone try both? Any discernible difference in handling?

....sT
    Just my personal opinion, but if I were putting one on my scoot it would be the Kury due to the design that maintains adjustability for that perfect fit without preloading the forks. Unless I'm missing something I don't see that type of adjustability with the SuperBrace you just bolt it on and hope your forks are exactly the same width as the brace.
    I know all about machining and acceptable tolerances, but I personally don't want any side pull on my forks if my trees are a thou out from Honda or the brace was machined a thou out. Kury can be adjusted for any minor difference that might be found between mass produced trees. Now don't get me wrong I'm sure SuperBrace has built their brace to the tightest tolerances possible, but I still like the fact with a Kury fork brace there is a width adjustment.

Once installed they both do the same job and I doubt anyone could tell which one is on the bike by riding it.

The guy who invented the first wheel was an idiot -
    the guy who invented the second one... he was the genius!

http://theringfinders.com/blog/Larry.Royal/

Quote Originally Posted by BIGLRY View Post
    Just my personal opinion, but if I were putting one on my scoot it would be the Kury due to the design that maintains adjustability for that perfect fit without preloading the forks. Unless I'm missing something I don't see that type of adjustability with the SuperBrace you just bolt it on and hope your forks are exactly the same width as the brace.
    I know all about machining and acceptable tolerances, but I personally don't want any side pull on my forks if my trees are a thou out from Honda or the brace was machined a thou out. Kury can be adjusted for any minor difference that might be found between mass produced trees. Now don't get me wrong I'm sure SuperBrace has built their brace to the tightest tolerances possible, but I still like the fact with a Kury fork brace there is a width adjustment.
    Biglry, the Superbrace is machined to the exact tolerance. Why would one want to second guess the tolerance with the Kuryakyn?

The danger involved with an adjustable brace is that if your front end is not assembled correctly (i.e. axle nut pinch bolts tightened before the axle was properly seated) you are maintaining that overall front fork attitude with the adjustable brace; in believing that you are mating the brace with a correctly adjusted fork assembly.

Superbrace recommends reseating your front axle prior to installation of the brace. When I did that and installed the brace, the visual fork seal rub marks on the front fork stantions disappeared. Which is a good thing.

21 years Army (retired)

IBA 80537

Quote Originally Posted by willtill View Post
    Biglry, the Superbrace is machined to the exact tolerance. Why would one want to second guess the tolerance with the Kuryakyn?
    I'm not second guessing SuperBrace's tolerances or Kuryakyn's and I'm sure they both work just fine. I'm only saying they all are mass produced like Honda's trees and it is possible there might not be a perfect fit 100% of the time. With the Kuryakyn fork brace's adjustability when you install it the brace forms to the spec of the forks it is being installed on so if and I only say if the trees are a thou out there will be no lateral pull or push on the forks, this is not so with the SuperBrace. Kuryakyn is kind of like a custom fit verses a generic fit one finds with the SuperBrace IMO.
    I would expect anyone installing any fork brace to reseat the front axle prior to installation of the brace and be sure that the front wheel, axel nut, pinch bolts are all properly installed an up to proper torque.

Spending for the sake of spending

Can you articulate further please?
    My 2015 deluxe hasn't an issue that the fork brace would fix, it doesn't wander, the roads where they have grooved the concrete it runs straight over them and doesn't hunt the ridges, I run curves hard with the bike and it just runs them like its on rails. So spend the money on something, I have to see a need for it and its not there.

"Superbrace recommends reseating your front axle prior to installation of the brace. When I did that and installed the brace, the visual fork seal rub marks on the front fork stantions disappeared. Which is a good thing."
    Yes it is and should be done when installing any fork brace IMO

Quote Originally Posted by seadog View Post
    My 2015 deluxe hasn't an issue that the fork brace would fix, it doesn't wander, the roads where they have grooved the concrete it runs straight over them and doesn't hunt the ridges, I run curves hard with the bike and it just runs them like its on rails. So spend the money on something, I have to see a need for it and its not there.
    Sea dog, initially I did not see a need for a Superbrace either, on my F6B.

But... I had installed a fork brace a long time ago on my past DL650. And it was a marvelous transformation on how my bike handled after that.

So I decided to try the Superbrace on my F6B to see if anything would be improved regarding the handling... my expectations of a better controlled front end were realized.

....which surprised me on my bike post install. These Fork braces are an improvement. Try one, you will see... Or money back from Superbrace guaranteed.

Sheesh... I think Superbrace should hire me as a salesman.

21 years Army (retired)

IBA 80537

.....the Superbrace is machined to the exact tolerance. Why would one want to second guess the tolerance with the Kuryakyn?

....Superbrace recommends reseating your front axle prior to installation of the brace......

I have to side with Larry on this one. While SuperBrace may take care to be exact with their tolerances....clearly Honda doesn't, in many cases.

A case in point....

Recently I installed the Rivco kickstand footpad. Roughly half of those who've done this have had no troubles and finished the job in 3 minutes dead. The rest of us...we found out that the casting for the kickstand is finished by hand after coming out of the mold. And...half of the kickstand feet are significantly thicker and even sometimes wider than the others. Those who got thicker and/or wider castings found that the foot would not fit the Rivco pad. We had to file or grind the kickstand down to get into the Rivco slot.

For me....I didn't want to take the stand off the bike. And power grinding would've flung filings everywhere...on the paint, in crevices where it might cause troubles...everywhere. I had to file mine down by hand. And THEN, everything had to be masked off and repainted.

A job which should have taken under 5 minutes instead took two-plus hours start to finish. Rivco watches their tolerances and, from the looks of the product, I'll bet out of a thousand of those pads, less than 5 will vary in any appreciable manner from the rest. Honda? Well....at Honda close enough is good enough.

Far cry comparing a fork brace to a kickstand pad, I agree. However....it does give proof that Honda does not mind a bit cutting corners in their manufacturing and Quality Control processes which could just as easily have been done properly. I have also found this to be the case elsewhere on my B as well.

And it's not just Honda, I'll admit. I find similar philosophies inherent in a lot of products these days. But things are what they are, and mass-production (especially on Honda's scale) tends to encourage this sort of laziness. Being able to clean up other peoples messes tends to be a feature these days rather than a bother.

.....sT

PS ---- BTW...I should think that it would be a good idea to loosen and refit the axle and pinch bolts, regardless which brace one chooses to install.
    Journeyman ATCS, retired
    U.S. DOT - Federal Aviation Administration -- 1982-2012

--- Valve Audio: Use a transistor, go to jail .....it's the LAW!! ---

Sea dog, initially I did not see a need for a Superbrace either, on my F6B.

But... I had installed a fork brace a long time ago on my past DL650. And it was a marvelous transformation on how my bike handled after that.

So I decided to try the Superbrace on my F6B to see if anything would be improved regarding the handling... my expectations of a better controlled front end were realized.

....which surprised me on my bike post install. These Fork braces are an improvement. Try one, you will see... Or money back from Superbrace guaranteed.

Sheesh... I think Superbrace should hire me as a salesman.

Kury brace question

Hey guys,
    I know this thread is a few weeks old, and i have my kury brace on for a month now. I followed kurys instructions and it did not require loosen of the pinch bolts. On my vtx 1800r, i remember taping the forks in or out to get the brakes to stop dragging after a tire change. The line on the spacer and the fork were critical to the rotor set between the pads. On the B , i have no issues after kury brace install, but would the same rotor / pad issue happen to the Goldwing/f6b if you reset the fork / axel spacing?