Question about using Pandora
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Question about using Pandora

Question about using Pandora

If you are using Pandora via your phone on your bike,
    do you not use data min to do so, also how are you
    going about it?
    shortleg

With Pandora you'll be using data as you go. Apple Music and some of the other subscription services allow you to download albums for offline use.
    Depending on your data package it may not be that bad. I was surprised at how little data streaming music uses, if you've set up an account on your cell service provider's site you'll be able to keep an eye on data usage.
    There are also apps for your phone that make it easier to watch data use.

I prefer the flash drive, but when using the phone I have it mounted on my right handlebar with a 1/8" cable running to the left cubby.

What type mount?

Quote Originally Posted by MisterB View Post
    With Pandora you'll be using data as you go. Apple Music and some of the other subscription services allow you to download albums for offline use.
    I prefer the flash drive, but when using the phone I have it mounted on my right handlebar with a 1/8" cable running to the left cubby.
    Dont mean to hijack but what brand phone mount do you use mr. B? I phone?

I use Pandora and I heart radio. They do use data, but my data is unlimited and supplied from my employer. On my bike, I mostly switch between Sirius/XM and a flash drive though. I listen to I heart radio a lot while working. I do remember seeing an add on t.v. for T-mobile where popular apps like Pandora and Netflix would be free data usage though.
    "Go sell crazy somewhere else, we're all stocked up"

Quote Originally Posted by Audiochris90 View Post
    Dont mean to hijack but what brand phone mount do you use mr. B? I phone?
    It's the belt clip for Otterbox iPhone 6+ that I riveted to a RAM ball mount. Once you start you'll find you can get the belt clip holster for cheap and then they're in your car, on a tripod, etc.

Depending on your data package it may not be that bad. I was surprised at how little data streaming music uses, if you've set up an account on your cell service provider's site you'll be able to keep an eye on data usage.

Streaming audio uses little data. I believe it is 60 MB per hour. About 16.6 hours of audio streaming = 1 GB of data. Double check this information as I am going by memory, but I stream audio an hour a day while out walking and I never use more than 2 GB total any month.
    Former Ride:
    2013 F6B Standard, black; sold 7/2019
    Latest Addition:
    2016 Gold Wing Level 3, red; SCT transmission stuck in manual mode
    2019 Miles:
    7,900 as of 10/6

Mr. B, do you run your phone to the AUX jack in the fairing cubby? How did you extend the cable to reach your phone? Could you please provide additional pics or info so I can steal your idea?!?
    Former Ride:
    2013 F6B Standard, black; sold 7/2019
    Latest Addition:
    2016 Gold Wing Level 3, red; SCT transmission stuck in manual mode
    2019 Miles:
    7,900 as of 10/6

If you have T Mobile there are no streaming charges.

Quote Originally Posted by VStarRider View Post
    Streaming audio uses little data. I believe it is 60 MB per hour. About 16.6 hours of audio streaming = 1 GB of data. Double check this information as I am going by memory, but I stream audio an hour a day while out walking and I never use more than 2 GB total any month.
    You may be right but when I looked into this some time ago, I remember coming up with 30 hours per GB. Either way, audio streaming doesn't use much data at all. Due to this, I have forever eliminated Sirius XM and use Radio Tunes on my phone for my primary source of music.
    Ken (Hornblower)

Quote Originally Posted by VStarRider View Post
    Mr. B, do you run your phone to the AUX jack in the fairing cubby? How did you extend the cable to reach your phone? Could you please provide additional pics or info so I can steal your idea?!?
    Steal away!
    I've been running a long 1/8" male to male cord from the handlebars (not pictured) to inside the cubby with a female to female adapter to allow it to plug into the cubby cord. Cable gets smashed but the whole thing is a work in progress. I run it up through the dash area and wrap it around the steel supporting rod that can be reached above the forks.
    In the cubby pic you'll see a PCB wrapped in electrical tape, that's a Bluetooth receiver I've been trying but I'm gonna switch to a USB powered version that sounds better.

I use the otter box belt clips in the cars also. Diamond mount RAM ball held to clip by a little glue to keep it from moving and ~1/4" rivets in slightly counter bored holes to keep it attached.
    You have to tear off the clip and sand the raised area on the back smooth.
    After drilling the holes for the rivets I use one of those really cheap spade bits, (no little sticky-outy things at the end of the cutting surface, just a point and a flat) in a drill press to counterbore to allow the rivets to sit flush.
    After setting rivets I dremeled a bit of the convex top of the rivet. Didn't affect strength but allows it to be totally flush.
    I also trimmed off part of the clip to allow the camera lens to see and removed some from the bottom to make it easier to get the rubber covers off that protect the charging and audio out ports.
    This system locks you to the bulky otterbox case, but oh well. It clips on in a second and holds securely. My wife loves hers.
    Here are the aftermarket belt clips: http://www.ebay.com/itm/161974614732...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
    If you have a friend at a cellular store they usually have piles of them that people don't want.

PM me if you have any questions or if you have the parts and want me to assemble it.

Picture is a little more sideways than I'd hoped. USB power above heated grips controller.

You can buy a M>F 1/8" cable, but I wanted to use what I had on hand.

I use the RAM mount for phone or GPS, wifey gave me a little retracting device that I keep a stylus for GPS and one for iPhone. Long enough to reach GPS if I mount it on windshield.
    Charging cables velcroed to keep them out of trouble.

One in each of our cars, super handy and secure. RAM stuff rocks!

This BT receiver works off 12V but is pretty noisy. Will try to filter or use proven USB powered version.