I want my F6B to ride like My GOLDWING !!!! HELP - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: I want my F6B to ride like My GOLDWING !!!! HELP

Quote Originally Posted by VStarRider View Post
    Please explain.

Based on my understanding, the spring controls the shock. With the preload minimal, the spring is not "pre"-compressed, allowing the shock to have its full stroke. By increasing the preload, the spring becomes compressed, controlling the motion of the shock, and preventing the shock from easily extending and compressing its full travel.

This, in turn, creates a firmer ride with the shock less "free" to use its range of motion.
    Actually, no, the spring doesn't control the shock, the shock controls the spring (it restricts the free movement, the natural frequency, of the spring), dampening or restricting the movement but not restricting the distance the spring can move. The adjuster that is provided on the F6b is a spring preload adjuster, not a shock damper adjustment. With the preload set at minimal, the spring is not pre-compressed (it actually is, but for the discussion here we will assume that it isn't) and as soon as someone sits on the bike, the spring sags (compresses). With minimal preload, the spring compresses more - therefore leaving less travel to absorb bumps. In other words, it bottoms out the suspension sooner. If you crank up the preload, the spring now doesn't move as far when initially loaded with the rider, leaving more travel to absorb bumps.

As an example, if we have a total of 4 inches rear suspension travel (not spring travel, the suspension itself as limited by the shock travel), and there is no preload dialed onto the spring, the rear suspension may sag 2 inches with a 200 pound rider. That leaves only 2 inches (like a Harley) of travel left out of the 4 inches total to absorb bumps. Then crank up the preload so the same 200 pound rider only compresses the spring 1 inch, there are now 3 inches of travel left to absorb bumps. This is a very simple example, and assumes that the spring is a straight rate spring as opposed to a progressive rate spring (which it probably is), but the action is similar.

Cool

Travelor's explanation is the understanding that I have. I also heard there were two springs used from day one.
    " Truth is often deemed rude, blunt and to the point which is why so few make their friend " Freddy Hayler ..352-267-1553 Sanford, FLA Gutterman6000@Gmail.com

shooter
    Get 2 tire gauges and make sure you only have 40 lbs in the tires. I've seen gauges be off by 20 lbs or more.

Quote Originally Posted by Travelor View Post
    Actually, no, the spring doesn't control the shock, the shock controls the spring (it restricts the free movement, the natural frequency, of the spring), dampening or restricting the movement but not restricting the distance the spring can move. The adjuster that is provided on the F6b is a spring preload adjuster, not a shock damper adjustment. With the preload set at minimal, the spring is not pre-compressed (it actually is, but for the discussion here we will assume that it isn't) and as soon as someone sits on the bike, the spring sags (compresses). With minimal preload, the spring compresses more - therefore leaving less travel to absorb bumps. In other words, it bottoms out the suspension sooner. If you crank up the preload, the spring now doesn't move as far when initially loaded with the rider, leaving more travel to absorb bumps.

As an example, if we have a total of 4 inches rear suspension travel (not spring travel, the suspension itself as limited by the shock travel), and there is no preload dialed onto the spring, the rear suspension may sag 2 inches with a 200 pound rider. That leaves only 2 inches (like a Harley) of travel left out of the 4 inches total to absorb bumps. Then crank up the preload so the same 200 pound rider only compresses the spring 1 inch, there are now 3 inches of travel left to absorb bumps. This is a very simple example, and assumes that the spring is a straight rate spring as opposed to a progressive rate spring (which it probably is), but the action is similar.
    Great explanation! Thanks!
    My girls:
    Isleen - 2014 F6BD
    Saorla - 1995 FLSTN Heritage Special

"Politeness, n: The most acceptable hypocrisy."
    Ambrose Bierce

Thank you. I had it backwards. That makes sense. The spring is the one that needs to be controlled as it would want to bounce all over the place.

On snowmobiles, we crank up the preload if the suspension is bottoming out too often...the additional preload buys more travel, as you said.
    Former Ride:
    2013 F6B Standard, black; sold 7/2019
    Latest Addition:
    2016 Gold Wing Level 3, red; SCT transmission stuck in manual mode
    2019 Miles:
    7,900 as of 10/6

Quote Originally Posted by shooter View Post
    You don't understand the concept. You need to raise the preload up to halfway and it will ride better.

+1 mine rides much better set up this way and running tires at 40lbs - even on the stock seat.

If you want an F6B that rides more like your GW, take the trunk and backseat off your GW!

I could not have said it any better and why with my 400 lb carcuss I set mine all the way up and get the softest ride ever with all the travel

The guy who invented the first wheel was an idiot -
    the guy who invented the second one... he was the genius!

http://theringfinders.com/blog/Larry.Royal/