Packing for the Rally. - Page 3
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Packing for the Rally.

Quote Originally Posted by stroguy View Post
    Agreed, striker fire with no external safeties or a Sig.
    Personally, I never got into Sigs double action triggers, though, I just bought their P320 which is a striker
    If you are not part of the solution, YOU are the problem.

Where the people fear the government you have tyranny. Where the government fears the people you have liberty.

Should have read, a striker fire because of no external safties....oops. Sig is an animal that takes practice but many enjoy it because the first shot has a strong trigger pull and less chance of an inadvertent discharge. Ummmmmm, ok. I say better trigger discipline but I understand.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    2015 F6B Deluxe
    Matte Silver

Should have read, a striker fire because of no external safties....oops. Sig is an animal that takes practice but many enjoy it because the first shot has a strong trigger pull and less chance of an inadvertent discharge. Ummmmmm, ok. I say better trigger discipline but I understand.

Some striker guns do have safeties! I know that S&W M&P has a version with a safety. Some of the micro guns do as well

Where the people fear the government you have tyranny. Where the government fears the people you have liberty.

Some do fursure. For the most part though strikers rely on 'keep your finger off the trigger' rule. Did I also mention to avoid Kimber 1911's. Let's see what that stirs up.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    2015 F6B Deluxe
    Matte Silver

Some do fursure. For the most part though strikers rely on 'keep your finger off the trigger' rule. Did I also mention to avoid Kimber 1911's. Let's see what that stirs up.
    You are well informed, Kimbers have been having problems for several years and I would never buy one. There's not a lot of commercial 1911s that are accurate and reliable. I own two, a custom, hand-built one and one that I hand-built myself during a weeklong gunsmithing class.

While highly NOT recommended, strikers can sustain a decent amount of pressure before going off. It is in between a single action trigger like a 1911, and a double action. While you should always practice keeping your finger off the trigger, it has been proven that under stress, the trigger finger subconsciously wonders onto the trigger. Under stress, a light single-action trigger is a liability. I go into much more detail on that in my book. That's why John Farman calls 1911s the best gun there is for shooting someone, but the worst gun for not shooting someone.

Either way, I don't like 1911s because of their low capacity. MY XD is 13+1, compared to 8+1 of the 1911. Considering all of the increasing social, large-group unrest of the BLMUSBB (Black lives matter unless shot by blacks) I am strongly considering packing my Sig 320 in 9mm with 21-round mags. With two spare mags on my belt, that's 64 rounds!

While this thread is jacked, I thought I'd ask about personally reloaded personal defense rounds. Legal to use or are only Factory legal?

Quote Originally Posted by Pap View Post
    While this thread is jacked, I thought I'd ask about personally reloaded personal defense rounds. Legal to use or are only Factory legal?

Yes reloads are legal to carry, but not recommended.

1. Reloads are not as reliable as quality, factory ammo. In every training class there is a least one person with bad ammo and its always reloads. Yup, I know, not MY reloads, they always fire—I hear it all the time. I reload myself, quality factory ammo is more reliable.

2. The feds keep a store of every brand of ammo in every lot. It can be used to compare and verify your story in a shooting. Such as comparing power burn size, expansion, etc. They can’t verify the facts about your ammo when you use reloads.

Its actually recommended to keep the box of your carry ammo so the feds know what lot you used so they can make exact comparisons.

3 Reloads open you up to attack by a prosecutor telling the jury that you wanted to make your own ammo so you can make it more deadly than you can buy. Once the jury hears that, it does not matter whether its true or not. Think there is no such thing as a lying prosecutor?

Use reloads for practice, factory for carry.

I reload .50 cal for my Barrett, and 300wsm. I reload because my ammunition is much more accurate than factory ammunition (proven repeatedly with tighter shot groups).

Cheaper too. Especially for my .50 ....and my reloads ALWAYS go bang.

21 years Army (retired)
    ...been everywhere, seen everything, done almost everything.

IBA 80537

Quote Originally Posted by willtill View Post
    I reload .50 cal for my Barrett, and 300wsm. I reload because my ammunition is much more accurate than factory ammunition (proven repeatedly with tighter shot groups).

Cheaper too. Especially for my .50 ....and my reloads ALWAYS go bang.

Agreed. I reload 38, 44 and 45 for value and 6.5 Creedmoor and .338 Lapua Mag for precision. My last 6.5 reload group was .3 inches. Trying to get to 1/4

Quote Originally Posted by Davidk View Post

3 Reloads open you up to attack by a prosecutor telling the jury that you wanted to make your own ammo so you can make it more deadly than you can buy. Once the jury hears that, it does not matter whether its true or not. Think there is no such thing as a lying prosecutor?

Use reloads for practice, factory for carry.
    I agree that factory loads are more reliable but I do not agree with the premise of a prosecutor swaying a jury with that comment. First a grand jury would have to see merit in a self-defense case needing to come before a jury. Then, a gun is already a deadly weapon and when used as I was taught in the military and taught now in my continued training, when I shoot, I shoot to kill. The best way to stop a threat is to kill it dead, it don't get stopped much better than that. If I decide to not carry a gun for protection but instead a knife which is legal size under state law am I not allowed to sharpen the knife? Could a prosecutor tell a jury that I sharpened the knife to be a more deadly weapon? No, just more effective at the intended purpose.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    2015 F6B Deluxe
    Matte Silver