Checked oil at 5,000 miles - impressed
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Checked oil at 5,000 miles - impressed

Checked oil at 5,000 miles - impressed

Just checked the engine oil at 5,000 miles, as I am preparing for a 700 mile trip around the Empire State. Still looks like brand new. I was very impressed. It has been changed only once.

One of the reasons I bought this bike over others is the fact that it is basically maintenance free...especially for someone like me, who is not obsessed with the paint!
    Former Ride:
    2013 F6B Standard, black; sold 7/2019
    Latest Addition:
    2016 Gold Wing Level 3, red; SCT transmission stuck in manual mode
    2019 Miles:
    7,900 as of 10/6

Quote Originally Posted by VStarRider View Post
    Just checked the engine oil at 5,000 miles, as I am preparing for a 700 mile trip around the Empire State. Still looks like brand new. I was very impressed. It has been changed only once.

One of the reasons I bought this bike over others is the fact that it is basically maintenance free...especially for someone like me, who is not obsessed with the paint!
    I'm new here, but isn't it recommended for the oil to be changed at 400 and 4,000 miles? I just finished a trip that put me right around 4,000 miles, and I was thinking I was needing to change the oil. Is this not the case?

4000 as per manual on first oil change. I did mine at 1000.
    2015 f6b deluxe - matte grey
    1998 fxd superglide - black

This Goldwing engine is tight. I like that.

21 years Army (retired)
    ...been everywhere, seen everything, done almost everything.

IBA 80537

The manual says to change the oil at 4,000 miles, then every 8,000 miles afterwards.

I am sucker for service "recommendations" and my dealer suggested changing the oil at 700 miles, not 4,000. I went for it.

My bike now has 5,700 miles on it and I am not changing the oil again until the season ends, which will put me right around 8,000 miles anyway.

Honda recommends the 8,000 mile oil / filter change and looking at the condition of the oil in mine, I see why. They are the ones who have to cover all these engines for three years, and probably another 10% for an additional four years (those who purchase the extended warranty). Honda knows they could have bikes out there with 150K miles on them and with their recommended 8,000 mile oil change intervals, and still stand behind them ... this is proof enough for me that a once per year (7-8,000 miles for me) oil and filter change is sufficient.
    Former Ride:
    Latest Addition:
    2019 Miles:
    7,900 as of 10/6

I did my first oil change at 1000 miles will do the second at 5000 miles, then I will switch to synthetic oil and change every 5000 miles from then on. It's cheap insurance.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg O View Post
    I did my first oil change at 1000 miles will do the second at 5000 miles, then I will switch to synthetic oil and change every 5000 miles from then on. It's cheap insurance.
    Greg, obviously do what makes you comfortable, but I would think that 10K miles is reasonable with synthetic. This is not a particularly high-tech engine with a lot of stress on it.

What is the best synthetic oil for the big six? If it means improved shift quality, I am in.
    Former Ride:
    Latest Addition:
    2019 Miles:
    7,900 as of 10/6

Greg, obviously do what makes you comfortable, but I would think that 10K miles is reasonable with synthetic. This is not a particularly high-tech engine with a lot of stress on it.

What is the best synthetic oil for the big six? If it means improved shift quality, I am in.
    You are most probably right with the 10k mark... though I like 5K as well for the interval with this engine. Easy to remember. And is applicable to other vehicles that we (I) own as well.

Change everything at 5k

21 years Army (retired)
    ...been everywhere, seen everything, done almost everything.

IBA 80537

I run the Rotella T-6 synthetic and change every 3500/4000 miles...Shifts are fine and I am satisfied so far with the T-6..At less than $20 at Walmart for a 4 qt. jug, I choose to change it as said above and leave others to "each their own"....Ride safe

I've found that 3-n-1 oil works well. Takes a lot of those little cans though.
    "Go sell crazy somewhere else, we're all stocked up"