500 Mile Trip: SoCal to NorCal: Anything to add?

Thread: 500 Mile Trip: SoCal to NorCal: Anything to add?

500 Mile Trip: SoCal to NorCal: Anything to add?

This is my first time riding anything above 100 miles on the F6B. I've spoke with a few people but when you have the internet at your hands, maybe other suggestions can be considered. So far I'm researching:

• I'm currently working on replacing the seat and have a medium baggershield. I think after the custom seat sets me lower, it'll provide further wind protection.
    • Researching denim jeans for riding/protection
    • How to stay hydrated. It'd be awesome to hookup something like those beer can helmets to stay hydrated without stopping. But I haven't seen anything close to it. I do have a camelback but I don't see how I can drink (water) and drive without using hands. Probably not a good idea anyway.
    • Rack to install behind PAX seat. BikeMP3 looks to have a good one
    • Highway pegs. I like what I'm reading about Aero and I like their look too
    • A bag or a tough box to strap on the rack for extra storage
    • Bungees, tow straps, looped straps, cargo nets.
    • Tire repair kit
    • Mini tool set

What I already have that can be used for the trip:
    • Mesh Jacket
    • Boots
    • Gloves
    • Mount for phone
    • AUXKEY bluetooth adapter for phone so I can listen to music and GPS through speakers
    • Anker usb portable battery. In case the 12V adapter stops working
    • sunglasses. This pair has foam around the lenses to prevent debris flying in
    • Pack clear windshield in case I get tired of eating wind or I actually hit some rain
    • 12V air compressor

I realize this list could go forever and 'to each his/her own' what they'd pack. The idea is to help me think of things I didn't consider that I may want to look at for my trip.

Have a plan. It doesn't have to be carved in stone but figure out where you want to make fuel stops. Granted if your on I-5 they are every few miles. But nothing like thinking you can probably make it to the next station and then oh crap.
    I choose my own ride and destination and seek not your approval of either.

Quote Originally Posted by BadDawg View Post
    Have a plan. It doesn't have to be carved in stone but figure out where you want to make fuel stops. Granted if your on I-5 they are every few miles. But nothing like thinking you can probably make it to the next station and then oh crap.
    Good point. Especially when I'll have more weight and it may shed a mile or two off the tank

I've done the LA-SF trip on my F6B maybe a dozen times over the last few years. The stock seat has been just fine for me, but the biggest difference was installing the Madstad. Of all the mods you've listed, this has got to be head and shoulders the best investment. It made wind noise negligible below 80 mph.

I don't have highway pegs, never felt the need.

I would never rely on riding jeans for protection at interstate speeds. I would get some real riding pants with hard armor and abrasion resistance. They're more affordable and breathable anyway. I would only consider riding jeans for brief, backroad use. My Roadcrafter is my go-to. Best $1,000 I've ever spent on gear, no kidding.

For hydration, I have used a Camelback myself. I have a Throttlemeister, so taking my hand off the bar to use the drinking tube is never a problem.

The MP3 rack is sweet. Get it, no regrets.

I use a medium Motofizz bag that anchors to the passenger grab rails and the MP3 rack. Holds enough clothing for a 7+ day trip, multiple pairs of shoes, you name it. Awesome and durable, and pretty rain resistant even without the rain fly.

I always ride with an air compressor, tire repair kit, tool kit, and various zip ties and bungee cords. It all takes just a modest amount of room in one of my side cases.

Enjoy the trip! Avoid the 5 unless you're in a hurry. 1 is best (you can make the trip within daylight hours during the summer), 101 2nd best (about 2 hours longer than the 5).

I would agree, get some riding pants with the armor.

Camelback works great, mine was from Costco and had a small loop on the straps that would hold the mouthpiece on my left side near shoulder. That way could use my non throttle hand.

Enjoy your ride!
    I'd rather be on my bike thinking about God than in church thinking about my bike.

Remember not how a man died, but rather how he lived.

RIP:
    MVSB
    SpeedGeek
    Saxon
    Eric Gustafson

Quote Originally Posted by CopperMike View Post
    I would agree, get some riding pants with the armor.

Camelback works great, mine was from Costco and had a small loop on the straps that would hold the mouthpiece on my left side near shoulder. That way could use my non throttle hand.

Enjoy your ride!
    I have a similar one so I could do the same thing. I also have cruise control so if I'm on a straight away, getting a sip shouldn't be a problem.

I have a Cycle Gear shop close by so I may check out their pants.

Quote Originally Posted by MountainDew View Post
    This is my first time riding anything above 100 miles on the F6B. I've spoke with a few people but when you have the internet at your hands, maybe other suggestions can be considered. So far I'm researching:

• I'm currently working on replacing the seat and have a medium baggershield. I think after the custom seat sets me lower, it'll provide further wind protection.
    • Researching denim jeans for riding/protection
    • How to stay hydrated. It'd be awesome to hookup something like those beer can helmets to stay hydrated without stopping. But I haven't seen anything close to it. I do have a camelback but I don't see how I can drink (water) and drive without using hands. Probably not a good idea anyway.
    • Rack to install behind PAX seat. BikeMP3 looks to have a good one
    • Highway pegs. I like what I'm reading about Aero and I like their look too
    • A bag or a tough box to strap on the rack for extra storage
    • Bungees, tow straps, looped straps, cargo nets.
    • Tire repair kit
    • Mini tool set

What I already have that can be used for the trip:
    • Mesh Jacket
    • Boots
    • Gloves
    • Mount for phone
    • AUXKEY bluetooth adapter for phone so I can listen to music and GPS through speakers
    • Anker usb portable battery. In case the 12V adapter stops working
    • sunglasses. This pair has foam around the lenses to prevent debris flying in
    • Pack clear windshield in case I get tired of eating wind or I actually hit some rain
    • 12V air compressor

I realize this list could go forever and 'to each his/her own' what they'd pack. The idea is to help me think of things I didn't consider that I may want to look at for my trip.

Kuryakyn Xkursion luggage. Have used Kuryakyn luggage for 10 plus years (they've rebranded some of their new and improved bags as "xkursion"). Took my last bag on a 3K trip 2 months ago, and I'll be using it again next month with a 4K trip.
    "Absorb what is useful, discard what is useless, and add what is uniquely your own." Bruce Lee

"The only thing worse than being blind is having sight but no vision." - Helen Keller

"Get busy living, or get busy dying." Andy Dufresne

Camel Back

A small patch of velcro loops on the shoulder of the jacket and a short section of hooks around the tube at the bite valve works for me.
    Attachment 22739Attachment 22740
    NMRed
    IBA# 63255

Maybe I'm getting old, but I like to find a shady spot every hour or two and stop for a break. Get off the bike, stretch the legs, let some blood flow back into my butt and have sip of water. If time is of the essence, fly. IMHO
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]