Clear Coat?

Thread: Clear Coat?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Live in Georgetown South Carolina, But work in Columbia South Carolina

Clear Coat?

I recently purchased a 2013 black F6B. It now has 900 miles on it. I am not happy with the paint protection, especially with the small micro scratches on the parts on and around the gas cover.

What would it take to have a clear coat sprayed on the bike? Would I have to dismantle all the parts? or just some of them and tape off the rest? I would like to keep the paint looking as good as possible.

Thoughts and suggestions?

Just took the Rune on a 2 thousand mile trip because I didnt want the paint of the B to get messed up. Yes, I know. I am a bit anal but want to keep it nice!!!

I have a friend that does damn good paint work....HOLY CITY Choppers in Charleston. Have been thinking about him just putting a clear coat on the B. Does he have to sand or scuff the paint in order to spray the clear?

Just looking for advice.

Thank you

Live in Georgetown South Carolina, But work in Columbia South Carolina
    Very nice, you did a great job.

Dang
    A lot of work for just a clear coat...maybe I should just ride and not worry about it....then repaint it in a few years.

Not just clearcoat. Metallic red with a tinted clearcoat them several coats of regular clear over that then 3000 grit sanded and then buffed.

It is a lot of work, if to do over I would shine the black asbest I could and just ride, saving the $1400 that itcost. And that price is withme tearing down an reinstalling. I do know how it all goes together now and have no fear to disassemble the body parts for air filter or any other which takes a while. I would also help others to dissasemble for a cheap price, a bed, meals while visiting a new area.

Quote Originally Posted by RuneRider66 View Post

Dang
    A lot of work for just a clear coat...maybe I should just ride and not worry about it....then repaint it in a few years.
    I'm pretty sure this will be my approach. It irritates me to no end that Honda did this, but I love the bike and hope to keep this on a very long time, so I am starting to accept I will just have to paint it at some point. I'm hoping at some point Honda will have to acknowledge the problem.

Dang
    That's what I am going to do.

Dang
    One of the reasons I traded my 2013 in for a 2015 to get that matte silver finish. Wash it and go. Easiest bike I've ever had to take care of. Especially after having a Rune with all of the chrome and tight spots to clean.

I use a small pressure washer and a lawn blower to dry. Very easy and shine every time.