Clear Coat? - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Clear Coat?

Quote Originally Posted by RuneRider66 View Post
    Very nice, you did a great job.

Dang
    A lot of work for just a clear coat...maybe I should just ride and not worry about it....then repaint it in a few years.
    That's what I am going to do.

Quote Originally Posted by RuneRider66 View Post
    Very nice, you did a great job.

Dang
    A lot of work for just a clear coat...maybe I should just ride and not worry about it....then repaint it in a few years.
    One of the reasons I traded my 2013 in for a 2015 to get that matte silver finish. Wash it and go. Easiest bike I've ever had to take care of. Especially after having a Rune with all of the chrome and tight spots to clean.

I use a small pressure washer and a lawn blower to dry. Very easy and shine every time.

Pressure wash

Quote Originally Posted by Felloverboard View Post
    I use a small pressure washer and a lawn blower to dry. Very easy and shine every time.
    Do you soap her up first before pressure washing? Any other steps?

Quote Originally Posted by Hodgey1 View Post
    Do you soap her up first before pressure washing? Any other steps?
    I have Turtle wax ICE on the bike. The shine has lasted several months just doing a pressure spray off about once every few weeks. I blow dry to keep the water spots off. A world of difference since getting a real paint job. When I first bought the bike I put about 4--5 coats of Liquid Glass on. That is just a temporary bandaid as far as I am concerned, and is only good as long as you don't touch the bike. My bike looks good all the time now, even when a little dirty the shine comes through.
    Attached Images Attached Images

clear coat

I was talking to the service manager at the dealership where I purchased my F6B about scratches on my paint. During the conversation he told me that plastic parts cannot be clear coated because they flex and the clear coat will crack unlike steel that does not flex. He confirmed, that's why Harley's have such great paint jobs. He then pointed out the advantages of plastic over steel including weight savings.

I am in no position to argue, confirm or deny this claim. Maybe others who might have expertise on this subject can.

After reading posts here I know my dream of repainting the B is not going to happen so I will remain happy with black and take care of it the best I can.

What !!!

Quote Originally Posted by gmorstad View Post
    I was talking to the service manager at the dealership where I purchased my F6B about scratches on my paint. During the conversation he told me that plastic parts cannot be clear coated because they flex and the clear coat will crack unlike steel that does not flex. He confirmed, that's why Harley's have such great paint jobs. He then pointed out the advantages of plastic over steel including weight savings.

I am in no position to argue, confirm or deny this claim. Maybe others who might have expertise on this subject can.

After reading posts here I know my dream of repainting the B is not going to happen so I will remain happy with black and take care of it the best I can.
    Wow.... what a load of BS.... My tupperware bike is clearcoated 3 times with my new paint. Corvettes are clearcoated (plastic). Toyotas are clearcoated (Plastic)..... Go see how many plastic parts are on your car. Go see how many plastic parts are on the car that the service manager drives. Just more of Hondas BS. Goldwings with Metallic paint are clearcoated. ( I believe that all metallics have to be clearcoated) That is why Honda puts a light coat of clearcoat on all their metallics..
    It is a slightly different mix of the clearcoat specs for Plastics. Try going to an auto paint repair shop and ask the same question. Fact is that Honda has been using a water based enamel on solid color paints the last few years that is cheaper and does not take clearcoat, but scratches easily and they are ashamed to admit their mistake. LOOK closely at the pic.... one coat of tinted clearcoat with several coats of regular clearcoat. Have done several 1,000 mile trip since painting....... no scratches, quick wash & dry. And I don't baby it.......
    Honda was in a class action lawsuit on their cars from the late 1990's and early 2000's because of a cheap clearcoat they were putting on all of their cars and the clearcoat cracked and peeled <<< those were metal parts not plastics. The new Toyota van in the pic of the bike below is part plastic and part metal body parts..... all clearcoated.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Blacklight

I have a few coats of Liquid Glass on my 2013 Black F6B, and I use these bad boys to help keep her looking shiny.

Attachment 22953Attachment 22954Attachment 22955
    "Once more into the fray, into the last good fight I'll ever know, to live and die on this day, to live and die on this day"