Computer re-set with aftermarket pipes/air filter - Page 3
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Computer re-set with aftermarket pipes/air filter

Quote Originally Posted by 53driver View Post
    Copy. That sounds like the testing for the stamp of approval....

What happens here in my portion of PA, New Hope to be specific, is the nice policeman will pull you over at a "Motorcycle Only Checkpoint" and ask to see your license, registration and proof of insurance. Meanwhile, you haven't been told what the matter is. He will then take his "calibrated" dB meter, put it at a "standard distance" (which varies from one badge to another) and take the loudest reading he can get and then cite you.
    My specific story:
    I had North Carolina plates (legally - out of state military) on the FLSTN and I got the "Boy, you pretty far from home, ain'cha?"
    I responded, "No, sir, about 7 miles or so from my home."
    He comes back with "What are these NC plates doing here?"
    I then informed him that I am military, currently residing out-of-state, and produced my Military ID. The military ID sticker on the windshield 'escaped' him.
    He then asked if I was a Reservist, and I pointed to where it said Active Duty on the ID in his hand.
    He then said "Oh, a Lieutenant Colonel? Marines? You must think you're something special, doncha? Well up here, we have noise regulations and your pipes are too loud."
    I asked him for the dB reading and what the statute limits were for this area. I asked him if the dB meter was to be set to Flat, A or C weights. (all industry standards)
    He couldn't answer any of those questions - he just "knew" that my pipes were too loud.
    I told him I would look up the regs & standards for measuring and that I would ensure future compliance.
    I asked for my papers back and told him to have a nice day, and rode off, quietly.....
    Didn't want him to ask about my Texas Driver's license or my PA CC permit.

So if someone "tweaks" their "Aussie approved" pipes, and the constabulary think it needs re-testing, what happens?
    You get pulled over?
    Then what?
    Mate yah then have to take the bike in to an approved whatever and they say whatever and put it on paper
    Mates who build bikes reckon that soon the bikes will be photographed when they get a roadworthy and when pulled up the Police will check the photo against the actual bike???????

When I was in the service and pulled up, it was basically a how yah going and I was off?
    And mate you've served with Aussies so yah know what hows yah going means

Quote Originally Posted by terrydj View Post
    When I was in the service and pulled up, it was basically a how yah going and I was off?
    And mate you've served with Aussies so yah know what hows yah going means
    Sometimes you get that with a military ID, sometimes not. I'm about 50/50 getting a 'how yah going' from the constabulary.
    Other times....well.
    My girls:
    Isleen - 2014 F6BD
    Saorla - 1995 FLSTN Heritage Special

"Politeness, n: The most acceptable hypocrisy."
    Ambrose Bierce

SRT8-IN-LARGO - Great explanation , based on the solid knowledge .

...resurrection of the question....

SRT-8,
    I understand your post below - got it, no sweat. Thanks!

So.....what does the ECM "reset" function do?
    And why/when would I do it?
    My question got lost in the works here.....

If the mapping is all the same and nothing changes, why/when would this procedure be accomplished?
    My girls:
    Isleen - 2014 F6BD

Ambrose Bierce

Sorry about that! Yes the mapping is still the same and the points on the map being used get adjusted (slightly) by changes sensed by the correction and control sensors. A reset will not hurt anything, but after only a change of exhaust and an ECM reset, the map points will re-converge to the same place as if a reset was not performed at all.

A reset should be performed if a new ECM is installed or if any sensors have been replaced. A new sensor will behave a little differently than, for example, an oxygen sensor that has 100,000 miles of carbon build up on it. Or if a sensor has been slowly failing over time, this may cause the mapping to diverge to a set of map points that will be quite different from where a fresh sensor will point to. Resetting the ECM will put it in a known and tested "safe" location; not resetting when replacing sensors could result in a rough running bike until enough cycles have been run for the corrections to fix things.

A great example for all of this is how the engine uses the barometric pressure sensor. Oxygen content in the air that the engine breathes is very different at sea level and at high altitudes. These differences affect air-fuel ratio (AFR) and, in turn, that affects performance, fuel economy, and emissions. The baro sensor causes mapping corrections that maintain the right AFR wherever in the world you may be riding.

Just to clarify my position, even though I believe a reset is not mandatory, I think a vendor is 100% correct to do this after an exhaust change. It's nothing more than a safety procedure to make sure the bike has zero chance of rough running until the sensors get used to the mod.

Quote Originally Posted by srt8-in-largo View Post
    Sorry about that! Yes the mapping is still the same and the points on the map being used get adjusted (slightly) by changes sensed by the correction and control sensors. A reset will not hurt anything, but after only a change of exhaust and an ECM reset, the map points will re-converge to the same place as if a reset was not performed at all.

A reset should be performed if a new ECM is installed or if any sensors have been replaced. A new sensor will behave a little differently than, for example, an oxygen sensor that has 100,000 miles of carbon build up on it. Or if a sensor has been slowly failing over time, this may cause the mapping to diverge to a set of map points that will be quite different from where a fresh sensor will point to. Resetting the ECM will put it in a known and tested "safe" location; not resetting when replacing sensors could result in a rough running bike until enough cycles have been run for the corrections to fix things.

A great example for all of this is how the engine uses the barometric pressure sensor. Oxygen content in the air that the engine breathes is very different at sea level and at high altitudes. These differences affect air-fuel ratio (AFR) and, in turn, that affects performance, fuel economy, and emissions. The baro sensor causes mapping corrections that maintain the right AFR wherever in the world you may be riding.
    Thanks. No apologies necessary. I was just confused on what this actually did - new components of the ECM stock is logical.
    My girls:
    Isleen - 2014 F6BD

Ambrose Bierce

Thanks. No apologies necessary. I was just confused on what this actually did - new components of the ECM stock is logical.
    Interesting read all. I have a computer background, so the way i interpret what I'm reading is there is a procedure that, if it meets a criteria set by the manufacture, will set thresholds stored in rewritable memory for certain sensors used to make decisions. For example, low and high limits from an o2 sensor. These are used to 'calibrate' a cold engine from a hot one. These low high limits are then used for a look up on a 3d table created by mother honda that sets air / fuel mixture points based on the various sensors during subsequent use of the engine. Example, a new o2 sensor is installed.

Does this sound fairly accurate?

Quote Originally Posted by pressorv View Post
    Interesting read all. I have a computer background, so the way i interpret what I'm reading is there is a procedure that, if it meets a criteria set by the manufacture, will set thresholds stored in rewritable memory for certain sensors used to make decisions. For example, low and high limits from an o2 sensor. These are used to 'calibrate' a cold engine from a hot one. These low high limits are then used for a look up on a 3d table created by mother honda that sets air / fuel mixture points based on the various sensors during subsequent use of the engine. Example, a new o2 sensor is installed.

Does this sound fairly accurate?
    Yes.
    My girls:
    Isleen - 2014 F6BD

Ambrose Bierce