Gas tank scuffing - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Gas tank scuffing

I just picked up a kit by Saddleman, it comes with 2 - 6"x12" clear panels. Supposed to be paint safe.

I never hug the tank.
    No problem here.
    When I wear rain gear, I have Velcro straps around (1 on each leg) to stop the buffeting of the rain gear around the tank area. Not uncomfortable for me. But it is on my mind and I don't let it happen.

MisterB - good suggestion for application. The side tank panels are large and I used a similar technique. I've found, no matter how well prepared I am, and regardless of application technique, there's a moment of truth - point of no return, which always causes a little panic.

Quote Originally Posted by JBnAZ View Post
    Look up techspec tank grip pads on line. I installed a set that cover the sides and top of my tank under the gas fill. I also added them to the top of my saddle bags. I like to steer with my legs and often apply pressure on my tank and scuff my tank. These work great and add to the mean look, if you have the faster black color, as I do.

Get them placed correctly the first try, like with most stick on pads. Enjoy the pucker moment, right before you stick em on.

+1 on the techspec pads. Work great and after well over 2 years in the northern California sun, they still look like new. I got the "Snake Skin".

Quote Originally Posted by broncsrule21 View Post
    Got a pic of how they look on the black?
    I've got the techspec as well on my sides and top of gas tank. Look and work great! Instructions recommend quite a warm surface temp for proper adhesion. Adhere (no pun intended) to this recommendation or you'll kick yourself.

I'll take a pic of mine on my lunch break and post if I can remember to do so.

Pants scraping

I just got the Revit airwave2 pants. I didn't even consider scraping up a tank. Is this issue specific to the klim or is it the heavy material in protective pants causes the problem. Ive only used jeans so far.

tankslapper http://thetankslapper.biz/motorcycles/honda/
    protects the paint looks like new and prevents chips etc as well...

Quote Originally Posted by Rayz View Post
    Bought new Klim air pants and now my tank is scuffed. Is there anyone selling tank covers for theF6B?
    What I would try:

1st try polishing out the scuff, then try some sort of vinyl wrap that you could custom cut for that area.

Scraped tank

Thanks to everyone for their thoughts on this . I have ordered a pair of Triumph tank knee pads. Will see how they work out!

You could go to an auto shop and have them cut some 3m clear film or purchase a whole body kit from an on line supplier. It protects the paint from scratching, tho of course the film will scratch, but you can always replace that.
    ss^,
    Ken