Debris On Interstate

Thread: Debris On Interstate

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by pickensace View Post
    I was traveling in my work truck earlier this week on I-85 in Charlotte, NC. Traffic was moving pretty fast when all of a sudden a truck in front of me swerved revealing a huge tire tread in my lane. I was far enough back to miss it but it got me thinking. What if I were on my motorcycle and hit something at highways speed?

I saw where someone had hit a wooden pallet a while back.

What things have people hit while riding and how did the Goldwing react?
    That would be me (pallet). 75 mph and she stayed upright. A little more than 5k worth of damage. I no longer ride on interstates. I did not much anyway but have decided I should slow down take my time and avoid pallets.

I hit a large hand-carry sized toolbox that fell out of the back of a truck I was following. I tried to swerve to avoid it but it was still dancing itself from the fall at 60mph. I had a truck in the lane next to me so couldn't just slide that way. Last second I just grabbed the bars a little tighter and dropped my head below the windshield line...hit it at 60mph and watched it snap open and wrenches/sockets/hammers and other assorted parts go flying and the top of the case slide right as the shell and lid went left.

I was impressed with how well the bike shook that off. Dropping the head down was more in line with kissing my ass goodbye, cuz I was sure I was about to eat pavement.

As much crap as I've seen happen on the road from payloads coming loose, nothing surprises me...watched a Mini-cooper two lanes away from me hit a couch that fell off a truck...the couch was a mangled mess, and that poor mini-cooper was not driveable (owner was able to get it to the side but its engine and front end were all mashed up).