Almost got hit
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Almost got hit

Almost got hit

I am pretty rattled right now... gray haired mouth breather made a right turn adjacent to my line of travel and almost creamed into my right rear. Took a huge swerving maneuver to avoid contact

Still shaking. That mother effer....

21 years Army (retired)
    ...been everywhere, seen everything, done almost everything.

IBA 80537

Did y'all stop and have a conversation? Or did you just get out of there before you might have had to do some legal paperwork?

I know you are one who does practice your maneuvering Will and it just paid off.
    Keep up the good work.

And now you are one step closer to your "...done almost everything."

Cheers,
    Steve
    My girls:
    Isleen - 2014 F6BD
    Saorla - 1995 FLSTN Heritage Special

"Politeness, n: The most acceptable hypocrisy."
    Ambrose Bierce

After I cleared the intersection I slowed down and kept turning and looking at him. He hung way back. As a matter of fact all of the traffic that was around me saw it and everyone was driving very slowly. Everyone seemed very polite.

I can't believe this guy did not tag my right rear. He was so close I thought I was going down in that intersection.

I think I am a very alert rider but this time I did not see this asshat until it was almost too late. And I was wearing my white helmet, high vis jacket and had my Headlight modulators on.

Absolutely surreal to me right now, how he did not see me.

21 years Army (retired)

IBA 80537

Quote Originally Posted by willtill View Post
    After I cleared the intersection I slowed down and kept turning and looking at him. He hung way back. As a matter of fact all of the traffic that was around me saw it and everyone was driving very slowly. Everyone seemed very polite.

I can't believe this guy did not tag my right rear. He was so close I thought I was going down in that intersection.

I think I am a very alert rider but this time I did not see this asshat until it was almost too late. And I was wearing my white helmet, high vis jacket and had my Headlight modulators on.

Absolutely surreal to me right now, how he did not see me.
    Some MSF coaches have started a movement: to train kids to see motorcycles while in cars.
    Drivers don't see us because they are not trained to look for us.
    You know that the brain tells the eyes what to look for and not the other way around.
    "Average" drivers will see a VW Beetle and think "slug bug" (or "punch buggy") because we were trained as little kids. These same drivers will not see motorcycles.

SO.....train your kids/grandkids not to play slug bug, but to play "Bike Like" and see how many motorcycles/bicycles they can see and at what distance.
    Might hep the next generation....
    My girls:
    Isleen - 2014 F6BD

Ambrose Bierce

Thinking that this time, the lack of aftermarket exhaust may have a factor this time as well. The F6B is very quiet. I have always been concerned about the lack of an exhaust note from it.

Armchair quarterbacking now....

21 years Army (retired)

IBA 80537

You will never get enough noise out of the flat 6 motor. You will only get the max rackit from it is at full throttle. That means 2nd gear at red line......all the time. To days car are so well sound proofed and the sound systom so good if your hoping an exaust note is going to be a plus to save your life IMHO you'd be better off whistling Dixie. As you found we must ride with our heads on a 360 degree swivel. All ways expect the unexpected. Glad you made it.

Quote Originally Posted by 53driver View Post
    Some MSF coaches have started a movement: to train kids to see motorcycles while in cars.
    Drivers don't see us because they are not trained to look for us.
    You know that the brain tells the eyes what to look for and not the other way around.
    "Average" drivers will see a VW Beetle and think "slug bug" (or "punch buggy") because we were trained as little kids. These same drivers will not see motorcycles.

SO.....train your kids/grandkids not to play slug bug, but to play "Bike Like" and see how many motorcycles/bicycles they can see and at what distance.
    Might hep the next generation....
    That's always baffled me. Why there isn't more driver awareness teachings in the driver's handbook. It's mostly if not all procedural. Time for DMV/DOL to modernize driver education.

I'm not an AMA member, could someone advise if they are lobbying for changes in this area?

WillTill glad you're OK.

There are dozens and dozens of yard signs around my area "Look Twice - Save a Life" and similar. I have one in my yard. Not that they change behavior in isolation, but with so many, one can hope that some folks are seeing them and looking/thinking twice.

NYS DMV runs some TV commercials, too, telling drivers to look out for motorcycles.

Glad you are okay. An old cager like that just as easily could have done that to you in your car. The bottom line is, you reacted appropriately and that's the reason you never hit the ground.

In my opinion, the fact that you are on this forum talking about what happened means what you did was effective.
    Former Ride:
    2013 F6B Standard, black; sold 7/2019
    Latest Addition:
    2016 Gold Wing Level 3, red; SCT transmission stuck in manual mode
    2019 Miles:
    7,900 as of 10/6

Almost got hit

I haven't "almost" been hit in a year and a half and it's starting to get on my nerves. I know it's coming and it's got me on edge now. I must have mentioned it to my wife because every time I come home she asks "Any close calls". I am really looking out for it so that may be a good thing.

Quote Originally Posted by beppok View Post
    I haven't "almost" been hit in a year and a half and it's starting to get on my nerves. I know it's coming and it's got me on edge now. I must have mentioned it to my wife because every time I come home she asks "Any close calls". I am really looking out for it so that may be a good thing.
    Know that you have prepared and practiced your drills - high and low speed swerving and emergency braking - and ride with confidence.
    Don't let your "cosmic anticipation" ruin your ride fun!
    My girls:
    Isleen - 2014 F6BD

Ambrose Bierce