Debris On Interstate - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Debris On Interstate

I ride to work early in the morning while it still dark on the 57 freeway which seems to have a lot of debris. The first incident happened on my VTX when I hit a car part(maybe alternator) I didn't go down but when I got to work I was checking for damages and noticed the front wheel had a good size dent in it. Don't know how it didn't go flat. The second one I was on my brand new 2013 F6b again riding to work when I hit debris from a accident that had just happened. It was all over the road so I tried to miss it but hit something heavy but again didn't go down. Thought I was ok so I tried twisting the throttle and nothing. I still had enough speed and coasted to the side of the road. Got off, foot hurt a little and looked at the bike. Oil all over the bike and my right leg. So now foot is hurting more so I sit down hoping I didn't break anything. I come to find out it was a damaged ligament so that was cool but my bike turned out to be totaled. In the end my insurance paid me more that what I paid for it so I bought a 2015 deluxe with the extra cash.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]http://hondaf6b.com/image.php?u=3965&type=sigpic&dateline=1471132754

All of these stories remind me why I like state highways the best. They, for the most part, have wide shoulders and good sight lines. With a lot less traffic, rarely do I see any road debris. What you give up is the increased safety of all traffic moving in the same direction on interstates, with no driveways or intersections.

I had 7000 miles on my bike before I ever rode it on an interstate, other than some local routes around here for short distances.
    Former Ride:
    2013 F6B Standard, black; sold 7/2019
    Latest Addition:
    2016 Gold Wing Level 3, red; SCT transmission stuck in manual mode
    2019 Miles:
    7,900 as of 10/6

Quote Originally Posted by VStarRider View Post
    All of these stories remind me why I like state highways the best. They, for the most part, have wide shoulders and good sight lines. With a lot less traffic, rarely do I see any road debris. What you give up is the increased safety of all traffic moving in the same direction on interstates, with no driveways or intersections.

I had 7000 miles on my bike before I ever rode it on an interstate, other than some local routes around here for short distances.
    I made the mistake of following a family going camping and their pickup had all kinds of crappie stuffed in the back.
    The last thing was a good size cooler and two camping chairs.
    Well wouldn't you know it they came off the truck and showered us with ice first then gave us the coolest Obstic iCal course you can ever think of. Lucky us all this for free at 65 mph.

Wow lots of close calls and only a few hits. Only a few things really worry me when I ride other than idiots. Deer and debris.

Quote Originally Posted by pickensace View Post
    I was traveling in my work truck earlier this week on I-85 in Charlotte, NC. Traffic was moving pretty fast when all of a sudden a truck in front of me swerved revealing a huge tire tread in my lane. I was far enough back to miss it but it got me thinking. What if I were on my motorcycle and hit something at highways speed?

I saw where someone had hit a wooden pallet a while back.

What things have people hit while riding and how did the Goldwing react?
    That would be me (pallet). 75 mph and she stayed upright. A little more than 5k worth of damage. I no longer ride on interstates. I did not much anyway but have decided I should slow down take my time and avoid pallets.

I hit a large hand-carry sized toolbox that fell out of the back of a truck I was following. I tried to swerve to avoid it but it was still dancing itself from the fall at 60mph. I had a truck in the lane next to me so couldn't just slide that way. Last second I just grabbed the bars a little tighter and dropped my head below the windshield line...hit it at 60mph and watched it snap open and wrenches/sockets/hammers and other assorted parts go flying and the top of the case slide right as the shell and lid went left.

I was impressed with how well the bike shook that off. Dropping the head down was more in line with kissing my ass goodbye, cuz I was sure I was about to eat pavement.

As much crap as I've seen happen on the road from payloads coming loose, nothing surprises me...watched a Mini-cooper two lanes away from me hit a couch that fell off a truck...the couch was a mangled mess, and that poor mini-cooper was not driveable (owner was able to get it to the side but its engine and front end were all mashed up).

follow tire treads in front of you

Quote Originally Posted by pickensace View Post
    I was traveling in my work truck earlier this week on I-85 in Charlotte, NC. Traffic was moving pretty fast when all of a sudden a truck in front of me swerved revealing a huge tire tread in my lane. I was far enough back to miss it but it got me thinking. What if I were on my motorcycle and hit something at highways speed?

I saw where someone had hit a wooden pallet a while back.

What things have people hit while riding and how did the Goldwing react?
    I always follow the tires in front of me, Bike or car/truck,,
    that way if the car bounces over something or swerves, I have a second to react,,
    kennyU,,seattle wa.