Audio enhancement perma-grin style
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Audio enhancement perma-grin style

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by F6Pilot View Post
    So I can use the brown wire coming off of the factory amp relay to trigger my Arc Audio amp? I assume in that scenario the amp would only come on when the radio is turned on? I had considered running it off of the acc connection at the fuse panel but that would have it on constantly whether the radio was on or not.
    Yes. That's what I originally did until I decided to change the head unit too. I believe it was brown. Been awhile.
    "Go sell crazy somewhere else, we're all stocked up"

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmytee View Post
    Yes. That's what I originally did until I decided to change the head unit too. I believe it was brown. Been awhile.
    Brown is the relay power and works well for the switched power. There are two brown wires actually, they both go to the amp relay rated for 20A. I did as JimmyT did, cut the cable as it can be resoldered or use the posilocks.

That will be my path as well. I've got everything opened up and ready to go. The baffles and posi connectors will be here tomorrow which will allow me to button up the front end. I took a break from audio today and installed switchback bulbs in the rear turn signals per VP8s post. Always another project....

I'm back into it tonight. The baffles arrived allowing me to proceed with installing the 5.25" in the adapters and get that portion buttoned up. Next on the agenda is to begin test fitting the dash and grills to determine what if any trimming might be necessary.

More to come...

Attachment 25051Attachment 25052

Finished mounting both of the mids and trimming the baffles last night. Tonight was filled with test fitting the grills and marking a profile on the frames to make room for the raised speakers.

Attachment 25059Attachment 25060

Need to pick up a replacement Dremel tomorrow and commence cutting.....

I struggled with this step, I cut more of the lower section than was needed, although you certainly need enough room for the Cones to extend.

Have you fired up the system to ensure it works?

Haven't fired it up yet, just marching forward with completing the front piece. Just received the fuse holder today that needs to be mounted and the power wires routed.

Attachment 25061

Picked up some RCA terminals at Radio Crap today and yes, they are crap. So, need to source some better quality pieces and get the input cables made. Also need to tap and route the trigger wires to the amp. So, after all of that I will need to determine proper "start up" settings for the amp and proceed.

I am SO glad to hear this!
    First, I'm happy for you that you've got what you wanted.
    Second, I'm taking the first steps in this path......$$$

Cheers,
    Steve
    My girls:
    Isleen - 2014 F6BD
    Saorla - 1995 FLSTN Heritage Special

"Politeness, n: The most acceptable hypocrisy."
    Ambrose Bierce

You are right about the bass, but you would be surprised they can put out serious bass if you compensate for the 10db cut at 100hz off the head unit. A dsp or eq prior to the amp would help. I'm not saying you will get serious bass, but I was surprised what hertz was able to produce compared to any other speaker I tried. I tried 6 different speakers, and these were in a class of their own.

Hopefully you will hear the difference at highway speeds, it changed riding forever for me.

Robert

Quote Originally Posted by pressorv View Post
    You are right about the bass, but you would be surprised they can put out serious bass if you compensate for the 10db cut at 100hz off the head unit. A dsp or eq prior to the amp would help. I'm not saying you will get serious bass, but I was surprised what hertz was able to produce compared to any other speaker I tried. I tried 6 different speakers, and these were in a class of their own.

Hopefully you will hear the difference at highway speeds, it changed riding forever for me.

Robert
    I know we talked about this before, but I don't remember and I'm not exactly sure I ever understood precisely which Hertz speakers you have installed. Could you refresh my memory?
    "Go sell crazy somewhere else, we're all stocked up"